Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which you like better?
Bronx 10 14.93%
Queens 57 85.07%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 07:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
By land mass at least, that's a pretty large chunk of Queens. Though, not to the extent of The Bronx where that is true of most of the borough.
Right, and even with that, there's still more Queens by population and land area than there is the Bronx-that's how much larger and more populous Queens is than the Bronx with about 2.5x the land area and 1.6x the population with the parts that I mentioned earlier generally having less population density or none in the case of the airports. That's what I mean when I say there's much more of Queens and so it overlaps a lot of what might be argued as the Bronx's strong suits where Queens has something akin to anything the Bronx has in neighborhoods, but then has an even greater diversity and number of neighborhoods. Queens does have the large mass of density and mid-rise buildings that the Jackson Heights/Elmhurst stretch has that's very dense and is arguably built a bit like a leafier and less rundown South and West Bronx and still have even more of low-rise attached rowhome portions, SFH one small lots or on larger lots, beach bungalow neighborhoods, mid-century high-rise building complexes, new high-rise secondary business district, etc and a good chunk of those also offer better than just your standard fast food restaurants with an ethnic eatery or two as you describe it. Try using Yelp looking for restaurants with addresses in different parts of Queens and filter for their walking distances and you'll see most parts of Queens has quite a bit more than that.

As an aside, I'm guessing that if you took a one mile radius from every subway stop in Queens, then the land area within Queens would probably amount to more land area and population than what the borough of the Bronx has. I'm trying to figure out if there's an easy way to check that.

And remember, you were talking about LA Koreatown and how you can get that international medley in the close quarters of an urban environment, but Koreatown is the densest urban neighborhood for Los Angeles while Queens has an entire Bronx's worth and then some land area and population of such.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-03-2021 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 08:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. Though, both boroughs have a very large chunk of them which have not much going for me personally (Bronx East of the Bronx River and Queens East of maybe Corona).
Don’t forget Flushing!

Old 01-04-2021, 09:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
I agree with those that prefer the culture and scenery of the Bronx, so it gets my vote.

With that said, it's hard to ignore Queens' proximity to Midtown and Lower Manhattan. I'd rather live in Long Island City than the Bronx but would choose the latter over any of the far flung, suburban parts of Queens.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:27 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Is there a culture the Bronx has that Queens doesnt? Like as for the Boricua angle....Queens, still has plenty of Ricans-maybe, not Dominicans? The Bronx is chiefly Dominican nowadays...

The Bronx is so Latin American-i don't find it as diverse as Queens.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is there a culture the Bronx has that Queens doesnt? Like as for the Boricua angle....Queens, still has plenty of Ricans-maybe, not Dominicans? The Bronx is chiefly Dominican nowadays...

It's not so much that Queens is totally lacking Black and Caribbean culture, just that it's more concentrated in the Bronx. It's the most melanated borough, so to speak.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:41 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:

There are plenty of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in Queens. Corona and Far Rockaway have a lot of Dominicans, and every other Latino neighborhood in Queens seems to have a sizable amount.

The Bronx has a lot more West Africans than Queens, though.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
It's not so much that Queens is totally lacking Black and Caribbean culture, just that it's more concentrated in the Bronx. It's the most melanated borough, so to speak.
Queens has some of the blackest neighborhoods in NYC, while The Bronx's black neighborhoods are shares with Hispanics.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Yea but Queens is like way bigger. So the overall number of black people is very similar. It's not lacking for black people at all 382k black people in Queens 411k in the Bronx.

Brooklyn is blacker at 30% than the much smaller Bronx at 29%

Everything you can find in the Bronx-you can find in Queens, and in good number. The Bronx does have a higher concentration of West African and Dominicans sure but....I guesss whatever floats your boat

Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, and even with that, there's still more Queens by population and land area than there is the Bronx-that's how much larger and more populous Queens is than the Bronx with about 2.5x the land area and 1.6x the population with the parts that I mentioned earlier generally having less population density or none in the case of the airports. That's what I mean when I say there's much more of Queens and so it overlaps a lot of what might be argued as the Bronx's strong suits where Queens has something akin to anything the Bronx has in neighborhoods, but then has an even greater diversity and number of neighborhoods. Queens does have the large mass of density and mid-rise buildings that the Jackson Heights/Elmhurst stretch has that's very dense and is arguably built a bit like a leafier and less rundown South and West Bronx and still have even more of low-rise attached rowhome portions, SFH one small lots or on larger lots, beach bungalow neighborhoods, mid-century high-rise building complexes, new high-rise secondary business district, etc and a good chunk of those also offer better than just your standard fast food restaurants with an ethnic eatery or two as you describe it. Try using Yelp looking for restaurants with addresses in different parts of Queens and filter for their walking distances and you'll see most parts of Queens has quite a bit more than that.

As an aside, I'm guessing that if you took a one mile radius from every subway stop in Queens, then the land area within Queens would probably amount to more land area and population than what the borough of the Bronx has. I'm trying to figure out if there's an easy way to check that.

And remember, you were talking about LA Koreatown and how you can get that international medley in the close quarters of an urban environment, but Koreatown is the densest urban neighborhood for Los Angeles while Queens has an entire Bronx's worth and then some land area and population of such.
True. Though Jackson Heights/Elmhurst don't personally remind me of The Bronx, the mix of architecture is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Don’t forget Flushing!
Yeah Flushing is cool, though it's not in my personal top 5 of Queens neighborhoods.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yea but Queens is like way bigger. So the overall number of black people is very similar. It's not lacking for black people at all 382k black people in Queens 411k in the Bronx.

Brooklyn is blacker at 30% than the much smaller Bronx at 29%
Queens's black neighborhoods (mostly in the Easteen part of the borough) are very black while Queens West of Jamaica (generally speaking) has few black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City