Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 09:51 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
That's one metric, another is in terms of high rises, T.O has more than 3,000, Miami has 1,100 (all numbers are for their respective metropolitan areas, which this thread is also about). Yes Miami is impressive given their legal city jurisdiction, but again, Toronto clearly blows them out of the water when it comes to looking at the metropolitan areas as whole. I'm pretty sure I also broke down the numbers for you in another post but that was glanced over.
No this thread is about #skylines.... not #of high-rises. Everyone knows Toronto has the second most high-rises in the country after NYC... what we are debating is what constitutes a skyline and what doesn’t.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:14 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
No this thread is about #skylines.... not #of high-rises. Everyone knows Toronto has the second most high-rises in the country after NYC... what we are debating is what constitutes a skyline and what doesn’t.
I mean, you literally brought up the number of skyscrapers multiple times lol. Thread is about what constitutes as a cluster/skyline (which depends on the number of high rises and skyscrapers combined). Clusters do count as skylines, you see this in small cities and large cities. Now if it's one block then clearly no, but if it spans multiple blocks then yeah it counts.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:27 PM

257 posts, read 167,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Right now, NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco skylines look better than Toronto. So I would put Toronto 4th with the potential to move past San Francisco. Miami has a whole bunch of midrises but none of them really stand out.
San Francisco skyline does not look better than Toronto's, neither aesthetically nor in terms of scale. It's not even close. "Potential to move past" what a ridiculous statement, the gap is already huge and widening at a rapid rate in favor of Toronto.

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/attach...65-png.282387/

Last edited by Differential; 01-11-2021 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 05:50 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I mean, you literally brought up the number of skyscrapers multiple times lol. Thread is about what constitutes as a cluster/skyline (which depends on the number of high rises and skyscrapers combined). Clusters do count as skylines, you see this in small cities and large cities. Now if it's one block then clearly no, but if it spans multiple blocks then yeah it counts.
Because you kept on bringing up size and scope. Miami’s skyline are closer in scope to Toronto’s than Toronto’s is to Chicago’s.

A) Emporis includes planned buildings into its total count which completely skews numbers
B) Emporis counts anything above 35m as a high-rise. That’s far to liberal to count as a “skyline” and in the grand scheme of things, especially when you take into account the scope of cities like Miami, Toronto or Chicago.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-12-2021 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-12-2021, 07:05 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
I’m going to assume by your comment you don’t realize how large Miami is. Adjusted for land area, Miami if anything has more +150m buildings than Toronto. Outside the CN Tower, Miami is closer in scope to Toronto than Toronto is to Chicago.

As of 2021

Chicago has 116 buildings +150m (227 sq mi)
Toronto has 72 buildings +150m (243 sq mi)
Miami has 55 buildings +150m (36 sq mi)

That being said, I agree Seattle plays in the Montreal, SF, Philly, Boston, Houston skyline league.

Very familiar. Miami is impressive in its own right. I just don't see it as being on Toronto's scale, nor anywhere close.
I think it's all of the infill midrise development that makes Toronto seem so much more grand, to me.

Quote:

Then what is a skyline, because until we have an agreeable cutoff for what counts as one and what doesn’t, this thread is just going to in circles

Miami Beach to Hollywood is 17 miles. Humber Bay is further from DT Toronto than Hollywood is from Fort. Lauderdale....West Palm Beach is the north end of the metro and is 60 miles north of Miami Beach and has a full blown skyline with multiple +100m buildings.
I don't know... But it gets a little silly to include WPB into Miami's "skyline." WPB feels completely disconnected from Miami, in virtually every sense. In terms of skyline, there is a HUGE gap of nothing between Pompano and WPB.

Are we also going to say that Tampa has skylines for 30 miles? There is a skyline (St-Pete) over 25 miles away from Downtown Tampa, and then a few more in Clearwater, about 25 miles in the other direction.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:33 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Because you kept on bringing up size and scope. Miami’s skyline are closer in scope to Toronto’s than Toronto’s is to Chicago’s.

A) Emporis includes planned buildings into its total count which completely skews numbers
B) Emporis counts anything above 35m as a high-rise. That’s far to liberal to count as a “skyline” and in the grand scheme of things, especially when you take into account the scope of cities like Miami, Toronto or Chicago.
I never used Emporis so.... All my numbers were referring to those built only.
And sure, 35 metres is pretty liberal, however, it still adds depth to a skyline (it's called density). You can't exclude them just because you don't like it. Buildings that are 50-100 metres tall still make up parts of the skyline, and that applies to Miami (like Claughton Island, parts of Brickell) and Toronto (like St. James Town, Moss Park, etc.) as well.

If you look at buildings over 80 metres that have been built (within city limits) Chicago 523, T.O is at 518 Miami 156. Over 100 metres Chicago is at 341, T.O 282, Miami 116. 100 metres (328 ft) as a threshold is more appropriate than 150 metres and the data still shows T.O is closer to Chicago than Miami.

For buildings over 100 metres U/C: T.O 96, Miami 12, Chicago 10. Those are within city limits as your other examples only looked at skyscrapers within city limits.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:04 PM

444 posts, read 283,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Miami has high rise skylines for 50+ miles up and down the Atlantic Coast. The others yes Toronto is on another level.

Dude, the city of Toronto, so not including all the satellite skylines around it, has 600 more highrises than the entire state of Florida.
So yes Toronto is on a whole other level than the entire state of Florida combined.

Highrises (Built + Under construction:

Toronto: 2,657
Diagrams - SkyscraperPage.com

State of Florida: 1,906

Old 01-12-2021, 04:01 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Whoever said Miami or San Francisco has a better skyline than Toronto is tripping.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Dude, the city of Toronto, so not including all the satellite skylines around it, has 600 more highrises than the entire state of Florida.
So yes Toronto is on a whole other level than the entire state of Florida combined.

Highrises (Built + Under construction:

Toronto: 2,657

State of Florida: 1,906
What does that have to do with this thread?

The question is which has "multiple" skylines. Not about who's city total has more high rises. Miami has high rise buildings spanning the Atlantic Coast for miles across multiple counties.

Old 01-12-2021, 05:09 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
I would say Toronto is on a whole other level compared to Miami, San Francisco and Seattle

this picture is more evidence to that:
https://www.condopromo.com/wp-conten...erial-View.jpg
Pretty impressive picture for sure.

One big difference with Toronto is that it is Canada's premiere largest city. So it being the go-to large city in Canada, and being Canada's alpha city, it should have better skylines than a lot of the American cities.

However, I would say that Miami lags a bit behind Toronto, but not terribly far. With a metro population of about 6.2 million, and 70 or so skycrapers over 400 feet high, Toronto has about 6.5 million metro population and has 90 skyscrapers over 480 feet high.

Toronto is in the same city range as Chicago and San Francisco. I think it would rank like this for the top 20:

1) New York City
2) Chicago
3) Toronto
4) San Francisco
5) Miami
6) Vancouver
7) Seattle
8) Montreal
9) Philadelphia
10) Houston
11) Boston
12) Denver
13) Calgary
14) Atlanta
15) Los Angeles
16) Minneapolis
17) Pittsburgh
18) Dallas
19) Honolulu
20) Edmonton

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 01-12-2021 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City