Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 03:55 PM

824 posts, read 713,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I’ve always heard about the anti-Toronto bias on CD. As an American poster, I never paid the claims much attention. This thread has convinced me of it though. Such disrespect

The Greater Toronto Area certainly doesn’t have 30 skylines. Some of those are just suburban condo clusters. It does however have more than probably most other North American cities. You can’t discount Downtown, Yorkville, Midtown Toronto, North York, Etobicoke, Mississauga or Brampton.

As already mentioned, New York blows Toronto out of the water in this case. It’s not even close. Lower Manhattan, Midtown, Downtown Brooklyn, Long Island City, Jersey City, etc. are all legitimate established secondary skylines. There are plenty of other tall, dense, urban centers which scrape the skies of the surrounding metro.

After that, I’m not sure which other cities compete with Toronto. Definitely not Atlanta or Seattle. Boston and Houston are worthy mentions, but still fall short. DC undoubtedly wins when considering CBDs, although not all of them measure up to being real secondary skylines. Many are just urban low/mid rise clusters on a metro stop. .
I don’t think it’s about disrespect, I think most posters would agree it’s absolutely massive. I think the problem is the attitude I notice that Toronto posters have, with claiming that it has the most/best skyline in North America.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If we use OP’s definition, we would even include Sugar Land town center and some others. For my definition I would neither include SL, greenspoint and possibly not even Woodlands. The rest I would.

Notice how both of us forgot to mention West Chase. And then modernly, Buffalo Bayou along 4th ward and River Oaks is starting to get its own skyline.
Yeah when both of yall posted I was trying to remember Westchase.
I was thinking they forgot that one in the South West.

But looking at the ones the OP posted I would definitely include Greenspoint, Westchase, SL, TWs.
Houston has about a dozen skylines based on what OP offered as skylines in the OP

Old 01-01-2021, 04:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Chicago definitely tops Toronto in the skyline category, point blank periodt.

Chicago has 126 skyscrapers, while Toronto has just 67 (despite it allegedly having 20 skylines).
According to this article, not for long.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...cago-1.5429816

Old 01-01-2021, 04:50 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Other than New York, Toronto wins.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:40 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think a lot of the US has multiple segmnets of their skyline:

NYC is one.
-Manhattan Midtown
-Lower Manhattan
-Brooklyn
-Long Island City
-Jersey City

Boston
-Back Bay
-Downtown Cluster
-West End Cluster
-Cambridge
-Everett/SomervilleSully Emerging Cluster
-Dorchester Bay City Emerging Cluster
-Longwood

Houston has about 8 different segments

Washington DC Area
-DC Itself
-Rosslyn
-Crystal City
-Tysons
-Bethesda
Definitely some more
DC would have 30 at least under this methodology:
- Bailey's Crossroads
- Ballston
- Bethesda
- Clarendon
- Courthouse
- Crystal City
- Downtown-Golden Triangle-Federal Triangle
- Duke Street Corridor
- Eisenhower East
- Fairfax
- Friendship Heights/Village
- Georgetown West (Georgetown University and Medical Center Complex)
- Huntington
- Landmark
- L'Enfant Plaza
- Mark Center
- National Harbor
- Navy Yard
- Noma
- Old Town Alexandria North
- Pentagon City
- Reston
- Rockville
- Rosslyn
- Shirlington
- Silver Spring
- Southwest Waterfront
- Takoma
- Tysons
- Wheaton

I think OP just wanted to brag about Toronto. Nobody counts skylines in this way.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I’ve always heard about the anti-Toronto bias on CD. As an American poster, I never paid the claims much attention. This thread has convinced me of it though. Such disrespect

The Greater Toronto Area certainly doesn’t have 30 skylines. Some of those are just suburban condo clusters. It does however have more than probably most other North American cities. You can’t discount Downtown, Yorkville, Midtown Toronto, North York, Etobicoke, Mississauga or Brampton.

As already mentioned, New York blows Toronto out of the water in this case. It’s not even close. Lower Manhattan, Midtown, Downtown Brooklyn, Long Island City, Jersey City, etc. are all legitimate established secondary skylines. There are plenty of other tall, dense, urban centers which scrape the skies of the surrounding metro.

After that, I’m not sure which other cities compete with Toronto. Definitely not Atlanta or Seattle. Boston and Houston are worthy mentions, but still fall short. DC undoubtedly wins when considering CBDs, although not all of them measure up to being real secondary skylines. Many are just urban low/mid rise clusters on a metro stop.

Accurate numbers, but consider Toronto is on track to surpass Chicago by a comfortable margin within just a few short years, even if some of the proposed projects are not built.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crossro...roads-ed-zotti

The growth of Toronto’s skyline is incredible to watch. Sure the loose zoning and condo culture make for easier development, but kudos to the city for taking full advantage, and aggressively so.
Those towers don't exist yet. You think Toronto is being picked on for claiming it has the 2nd biggest skyline only when counting imaginary towers?

And this thread is about # of skylines, not the collective building counts. So not sure what you're complaining about.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:52 PM

And I'm also not sure what's so marvellous about 10-story mass-assembled concrete projects. Toronto could build 1,000 of those and tourists would still flock to Barcelona, Florence, London, New York, Paris, Rome, San Francisco. No matter how many cookie-cutter skyscrapers it builds, it will never compare with the classical ensemble that the U.S. has: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-u...yscrapers-list

How many towers does Toronto have that would qualify for the list above? 2? 3 if we're generous?

Old 01-01-2021, 06:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Those towers don't exist yet. You think Toronto is being picked on for claiming it has the 2nd biggest skyline only when counting imaginary towers?

And this thread is about # of skylines, not the collective building counts. So not sure what you're complaining about.
Many or most of them will exist. Some are under construction right now. I’m well aware of what OP is asking. That is pretty much exactly what I addressed in my post too. Toronto has no shortage of tall skylines scattered throughout its metro. The number of high rise buildings is just one way to measure its build, and one not even initially brought up by me, by the way.

I’m definitely not complaining lol. I just thought it was interesting how, for a forum so well informed and well traveled, many users here actually do seem to purposely discredit Toronto (it’s laughable to even suggest Atlanta is a competitor in this thread), which is what Torontonian users have complained about in other threads. Regardless, it doesn’t matter much to me. I have no dog in the fight.

Old 01-01-2021, 07:03 PM

955 posts, read 611,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
According to this article, not for long.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...cago-1.5429816
The question wasn't "who will have the best skyline in 20 years" or "who has the most proposed skyscrapers," we're talking about the here and the now.

300m+
Chicago: 7
Toronto: 0

250m+
Chicago: 15
Toronto: 6

200m+
Chicago: 32
Toronto: 23

150m+
Chicago: 126
Toronto: 69

But even your link mentions that the quality of TO's skyscrapers will fall very far short of what has been built in NYC or Chicago, which is definitely true. Comparing the most recent supertall in Chicago (St. Regis) to what's getting built in Toronto makes this even more obvious.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:01 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times
Quote:
Many or most of them will exist. Some are under construction right now. I’m well aware of what OP is asking. That is pretty much exactly what I addressed in my post too. Toronto has no shortage of tall skylines scattered throughout its metro. The number of high rise buildings is just one way to measure its build, and one not even initially brought up by me, by the way.

I’m definitely not complaining lol. I just thought it was interesting how, for a forum so well informed and well traveled, many users here actually do seem to purposely discredit Toronto (it’s laughable to even suggest Atlanta is a competitor in this thread), which is what Torontonian users have complained about in other threads. Regardless, it doesn’t matter much to me. I have no dog in the fight.
I love Toronto. It’s a great diverse city with great food! I have to admit though I have no desire to live in a high-rise apartment complex. Maybe that is just my southern bias but we like our “space” in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City