Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Clarksdale birthplace of Blues.
New Orleans for Jazz.
Nashville for Country.
Hattiesburg origin of Rock.

Big cities help promote & popularize a couple of music that originates in small cities. People needs to give smaller places EQUAL attention & respect like big cities.
Agreed, but a lot of people simply aren't aware of the role of the smaller cities. Just as Nashville, which you named, promoted and popularized country music but it small towns like Bristol and Johnson City and the surrounding countryside where the genre originated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 01:04 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
There's been a ton of weird Atlanta hate lately. I think it's pretty obvious that it has a huge impact on music as a whole.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:21 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There's been a ton of weird Atlanta hate lately. I think it's pretty obvious that it has a huge impact on music as a whole.
Not even up for debate. The largest in the past decade for sure.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 2,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
San Francisco is actually one of the most impactful hip hop cities believe it or not. Technically Oakland, but the Bay Area hyphy music culture is a regional thing. Hyphy music is still somewhat popular. And it definitely left its mark in general. The pluck synths and pluck bass sounds from Bay Area hyphy music are everlasting.

NYC
ATL
LA
HOU
SF Bay
Memphis
CHI/NOLA
Baton Rouge

Kind of odd putting Baton Rouge in here, but despite how small it is, Baton Rouge is incredibly impactful in hip hop. And its a whole genre separately from New Orleans. I may be missing some, but these to me are the most impactful hip hop cities in order.

Totally agree with putting BR on here. Its more influential among the younger generations due the the rap culture, even more than NOLA.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:08 PM

13 posts, read 9,524 times
People always associate Detroit & Chicago with soul and jazz music, but both cities were pioneers in electronic music being the birthplace of techno and house respectively.

Old 02-22-2021, 03:44 PM

157 posts, read 137,495 times
wherever taylor swift is from. Regarding Atlanta, I think Kanye alone boosts Chicago over Atlanta based on net worth. For example Luda is surprisingly only worth 25 mil.

So my basis is on net worth:

after LA/NYC:

1. Nashville
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta

Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM

148 posts, read 119,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I see city vs city threads like this and inevitably, LA and NY are excluded or there are some other qualifiers, that inevitably lead to Atlanta being included because all of the other obvious choices are excluded or don't meet the qualifications set to ensure it's included. Why are Atlanta (Georgia) people so desperate for attention? Does it stem from the colossal insecurity of Georgia's origins as a penal colony where no one wanted to move?

There are recording studios in every major city and even small towns. If this is a contest of birthplaces of worn-out pop artists, you still lose.

You seem to be the one seeking desperate attention based on your posts.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post

I'm actually more of a fan of old school hip hop, even preferred the Memphis to New Orleans version of Southern rap more than Atlanta. To try to downplay Atlanta's role in Hip Hop is stupid though. There are so many artists from or based there It's been going on for a few decades, and it had a very strong role in R&B as well.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
wherever taylor swift is from. Regarding Atlanta, I think Kanye alone boosts Chicago over Atlanta based on net worth. For example Luda is surprisingly only worth 25 mil. I wou

after LA/NYC:

1. Nashville
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta

What does Kanye's net worth have to do with his impact on hip hop that's a stupid argument. He's only one artist and considering most of that net worth came from his Jeezy's and not music it's even more absurd. I would boost Chicago over Atlanta based on it's musical history in Jazz/Blues but not on hip hop alone.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
wherever taylor swift is from. Regarding Atlanta, I think Kanye alone boosts Chicago over Atlanta based on net worth. For example Luda is surprisingly only worth 25 mil.

after LA/NYC:

1. Nashville
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta
That's not what this topic is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City