Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 06:03 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yea Boston does have a good amount of big names actually.Converge belongs on the list too- has to be one of the most influential hardcore bands in the last 30 years .
There are a lot of great acts out of the city and suburbs! I just listed a few that had the largest followings on Spotify as far as I can tell. Personally, I like jazzy and folky rock music so some of my favorite local acts are Lake Street Dive, Ripe, Dispatch, Parsonsfield, Morphine, and Darlingside.

What hurts Boston on this thread topic, imo, is the lack of a musical brand for the city. It doesn't have a signature, distinctive style like Seattle, Detroit, or Nashville. Best I can say is that it's very good about keeping up with the times. In pretty much every decade and genre, there's generally at least one noteworthy artist from Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 06:34 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
There are a lot of great acts out of the city and suburbs! I just listed a few that had the largest followings on Spotify as far as I can tell. Personally, I like jazzy and folky rock music so some of my favorite local acts are Lake Street Dive, Ripe, Dispatch, Parsonsfield, Morphine, and Darlingside.

What hurts Boston on this thread topic, imo, is the lack of a musical brand for the city. It doesn't have a signature, distinctive style like Seattle, Detroit, or Nashville. Best I can say is that it's very good about keeping up with the times. In pretty much every decade and genre, there's generally at least one noteworthy artist from Boston.
Boston has a notable and unique hardcore punk scene

Old 03-15-2021, 08:47 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Boston has a notable and unique hardcore punk scene
While I don’t think Boston deserves to be in this conversation - other better candidates - check out the movie Gutterbug.

Probably the most accurate portrayal of any Boston neighborhood in modern day, and very much provides insight into the Allston Boston hardcore and punk scene. It was that way 40 30 20 years ago, and from what I understand, is still that way today. Makes you wonder what it was like when The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr. etc. came out.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
While I don’t think Boston deserves to be in this conversation - other better candidates
I mean, it’s at least a top 10. “Doesn’t deserve to be in the conversation” is a bit much.

Quote:
Makes you wonder what it was like when The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr. etc. came out.
Dinosaur Jr isn’t from Boston, and Pixies aren’t exactly hardcore punk.

The problem with the genre as far as Boston being known for it imo, is that there’s a culture among the bands that makes them avoid getting mainstream or “selling out”. I’d be surprised if the average person in any other part of the country could name any punk bands from Boston.

Best they could probably do would be the Dropkick Murphys or Boys Like Girls if “pop punk” is on the table (which it shouldn’t be).

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-15-2021 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-15-2021, 09:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
I mean, it’s at least a top 10. “Doesn’t deserve to be in the conversation” is a bit much.

The problem with the genre as far as Boston being known for it imo, is that there’s a culture among the bands that makes them avoid getting mainstream or “selling out”. I’d be surprised if the average person in any other part of the country could name any punk bands from Boston.

Best they could probably do would be the Dropkick Murphys or Boys Like Girls if “pop punk” is on the table (which it shouldn’t be).
I live on the West Coast and I'm familiar with Bane, Slapshot, and older bands like Negative FX and SS Decontrol

Old 03-15-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:

In a thread that's about cities with the biggest contributions to music, I don't think Boston deserves to be in the conversation. Detroit, Chicago, Austin, Seattle sure. Boston? Maybe if you get bored of talking about the other cities.

The foundation of Dinosaur Jr. and The Pixies started in Amherst. Both got big in Boston, though Dinosaur Jr. actually recorded a lot of their music in NYC. Add Lemonheads to this 80s list btw.

The Pixies were an outside the bell curve rock band.. The vast majority of their music would fall into the punk category, and laid the foundation for many bands to follow across punk, grunge, and indie rock. Hardcore? Na, maybe their lyrics. But, solidly punk.

The local "hardcore" scene exists in Allston, like it has always existed in Allston.

As an aside, I'm not sure "the average person" could tell you where any punk bands are from if it's not London or NYC.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I live on the West Coast and I'm familiar with Bane, Slapshot, and older bands like Negative FX and SS Decontrol
Huh. I stand corrected.

Quote:
In a thread that's about cities with the biggest contributions to music, I don't think Boston deserves to be in the conversation. Detroit, Chicago, Austin, Seattle sure. Boston? Maybe if you get bored of talking about the other cities.
I said "top 10", so you can't win the conversation by naming 4 cities.

And even then I don't know if Austin should be ahead of Boston. It hosts big name festivals, but so does Dover, DE. How many big name band are actually from Austin?

Old 03-15-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of great acts out of the city and suburbs! I just listed a few that had the largest followings on Spotify as far as I can tell. Personally, I like jazzy and folky rock music so some of my favorite local acts are Dispatch
Since we're being nit picky, Dispatch was formed in VT. And Corrigan is from Littleton, CO.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Since we're being nit picky, Dispatch was formed in VT. And Corrigan is from Littleton, CO.
Dispatch relocated to Boston. Dinosaur Jr. was always based out west as far as I know, regardless of where they played.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 PM

If we are going NA, tough not to mention the Toronto (area).. Huge impact on modern music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City