Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 04:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I see city vs city threads like this and inevitably, LA and NY are excluded or there are some other qualifiers, that inevitably lead to Atlanta being included because all of the other obvious choices are excluded or don't meet the qualifications set to ensure it's included. Why are Atlanta (Georgia) people so desperate for attention?
Uh I didn't make this thread for the purpose of boosting Atlanta. I excluded and LA and NYC because I figured they were consensus top 2 and I thought it would be interesting to see other answers. I'm seeing a large variety of answers in this thread which is what I wanted so clearly my hunch to exclude LA and NYC was correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 04:29 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
I don’t get any sense that Atlanta is the consensus and if it somehow is on this thread honestly that’s a ridiculous choice. It’s way too “of the moment” and specific to modern hip-hop. In terms of overall contributions to music Seattle and San Francisco both blow Atlanta out of the water.

Detroit - given that it’s the birthplace of Motown and Techno, and has made substantial contributions to rock and Hip-Hop is probably the most obvious choice for third (after NY and LA). But after that I’d put Seattle, Nashville, San Francisco, and Memphis before Atlanta.
Quote:
Seriously --

San Francisco, Seattle, absolutely! My god, Atlanta?? Seriously?
Just because you guys love Rock (which I don't, FWIW) and seemingly aren't fans of Rap/Hip-Hop doesn't make Atlanta's contributions to music any less important

Old 01-21-2021, 05:04 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Detroit & the cities & towns along the Mississippi River.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:07 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Just because you guys love Rock (which I don't, FWIW) and seemingly aren't fans of Rap/Hip-Hop doesn't make Atlanta's contributions to music any less important
Hip hop is one of the most popular genres in the world. excluding its impact is blaphsemous

Old 01-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Hah at least she is a real musician and often incorporates the flute in her music but I agree a bit premature to be mentioning Lizzo.

Philadelphia is glaringly missing from many lists on here. I don't think people realize the tremendous contribution and influence of 1960s/70s Philly Soul which eclisped Motown and took the reigns and eventually birthed disco--OJays Intruders Stylistics Harold Melvin, Teddy, Patti, etc too many to name. The Jacksons recorded under Phila Intl Records and even David Bowie recorded Young Americans in Philly and was heavily influenced by the Philly sound.

Then the Neo Soul movement of the 90s was based in Philly and heavily influenced r&b. As for rap Philly has been influential since the beginning including originating gangsta rap before Ice T and originating DJ scratch techniques/DJ mixes.
She reps H-tow, not Minneapolis tho.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 AM

963 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Hip hop is one of the most popular genres in the world. excluding its impact is blaphsemous
Seriously. I'm not even a big hip hip fan, nor from anywhere near Atlanta (or care about it one way or the other). But to not recognize the impact it has had on what is likely the most popular category of music globally is.....shortsighted. What has San Francisco contributed since the Grateful Dead? I'd could see the Gilman/Berkeley scene and bay area punk, but that was pretty niche (despite the fact that I am personally a huge fan).

Old 01-22-2021, 08:58 AM

276 posts, read 168,710 times
Quote:
Seriously --

San Francisco, Seattle, absolutely! My god, Atlanta?? Seriously?

This thread is about biggest contributions to music, not dad rock.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Seriously. I'm not even a big hip hip fan, nor from anywhere near Atlanta (or care about it one way or the other). But to not recognize the impact it has had on what is likely the most popular category of music globally is.....shortsighted. What has San Francisco contributed since the Grateful Dead? I'd could see the Gilman/Berkeley scene and bay area punk, but that was pretty niche (despite the fact that I am personally a huge fan).
San Francisco is actually one of the most impactful hip hop cities believe it or not. Technically Oakland, but the Bay Area hyphy music culture is a regional thing. Hyphy music is still somewhat popular. And it definitely left its mark in general. The pluck synths and pluck bass sounds from Bay Area hyphy music are everlasting.

NYC
ATL
LA
HOU
SF Bay
Memphis
CHI/NOLA
Baton Rouge

Kind of odd putting Baton Rouge in here, but despite how small it is, Baton Rouge is incredibly impactful in hip hop. And its a whole genre separately from New Orleans. I may be missing some, but these to me are the most impactful hip hop cities in order.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I see city vs city threads like this and inevitably, LA and NY are excluded or there are some other qualifiers, that inevitably lead to Atlanta being included because all of the other obvious choices are excluded or don't meet the qualifications set to ensure it's included. Why are Atlanta (Georgia) people so desperate for attention? Does it stem from the colossal insecurity of Georgia's origins as a penal colony where no one wanted to move?

There are recording studios in every major city and even small towns. If this is a contest of birthplaces of worn-out pop artists, you still lose.
You could've at least performed a simple Google search before you decided to be obnoxious and wrong about the subject.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...udios-by-city/
https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/a...ven-gucci-mane
https://kaleistyleguide.com/travel/d...-music-cities/
https://www.americanheritage.com/country#1
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...atlanta-s.html
https://www.deseret.com/2004/7/12/19...music-industry

Old 01-22-2021, 05:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
I see city vs city threads like this and inevitably, LA and NY are excluded or there are some other qualifiers, that inevitably lead to Atlanta being included because all of the other obvious choices are excluded or don't meet the qualifications set to ensure it's included. Why are Atlanta (Georgia) people so desperate for attention? Does it stem from the colossal insecurity of Georgia's origins as a penal colony where no one wanted to move?

There are recording studios in every major city and even small towns. If this is a contest of birthplaces of worn-out pop artists, you still lose.
You seem quite triggered by Atlanta. Nobody in this thread seems desperate about anything, be they an Atlantan or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City