Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has more beautiful national parks?
Blue States 19 65.52%
Red States 10 34.48%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 10:50 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times

Advertisements

Casting aside politics, which set of national parks wins out in terms of beauty, awe, mystique, isolation, etc: those in Blue States or those in Red States?

In 2020, Joe Biden won in states with 29 national parks while Donald Trump won in states with 32 national parks.

NOTE: 2 national parks (American Samoa and Virgin Islands) are in territories that cannot vote for President but who nonetheless have Democratic legislative and gubernatorial majorities. They've been included in the Blue State count as a result.

Blue State National Parks:
  1. Acadia
  2. American Samoa
  3. Black Canyon of the Gunnison
  4. Carlsbad Caverns
  5. Channel Islands
  6. Crater Lake
  7. Death Valley
  8. Grand Canyon
  9. Great Basin
  10. Great Sand Dunes
  11. Haleakala
  12. Hawaii Volcanoes
  13. Isle Royale
  14. Joshua Tree
  15. Kings Canyon
  16. Lassen Volcanic
  17. Mesa Verde
  18. Mount Rainier
  19. North Cascades
  20. Olympic
  21. Petrified Forest
  22. Pinnacles
  23. Redwood
  24. Rocky Mountain
  25. Saguaro
  26. Sequoia
  27. Shenandoah
  28. Virgin Islands
  29. Voyageurs
  30. White Sands
  31. Yosemite

Red State National Parks:
  1. Arches
  2. Badlands
  3. Big Bend
  4. Biscayne
  5. Bryce Canyon
  6. Canyonlands
  7. Capitol Reef
  8. Congaree
  9. Cuyahoga Valley
  10. Denali
  11. Dry Tortugas
  12. Everglades
  13. Gates of the Arctic
  14. Gateway Arch
  15. Glacier
  16. Glacier Bay
  17. Grand Teton
  18. Great Smoky Mountains
  19. Guadalupe Mountains
  20. Hot Springs
  21. Indiana Dunes
  22. Katmai
  23. Kenai Fjords
  24. Kobuk Valley
  25. Lake Clark
  26. Mammoth Cave
  27. New River Gorge
  28. Theodore Roosevelt
  29. Wind Cave
  30. Wrangell-Saint Elias
  31. Yellowstone
  32. Zion

Of the 4 crown jewels of the NPS, two are in Blue States (Grand Canyon, Yosemite) and two are in Red States (Yellowstone, Zion). So which cohort wins out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 10:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Really? We're making National Parks political?

Old 01-12-2021, 11:01 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Regardless of the state-level politics, national parks are in more rural, remote parts of their states, so the residents around there will generally vote more Republican.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:30 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I've been to 5 national parks in Blue states and 10 in Red.

Blue: Acadia, Grand Canyon, Haleakala, Hawaii Volcanoes, and Yosemite.

Red: Arches, Badlands, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Denali, Gateway Arch, Glacier Bay, Great Smoky Mountains, New River Gorge (before it became a national park), and Theodore Roosevelt.

Bucket List: I'd like to see them all, but the ones at the top of my list are Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, and Bryce Canyon.

If you go just based on which ones I've visited, or want to visit, the Red state ones are the clear favorites. However, my all-time favorite one (at least so far) is Yosemite, so I'm willing to diversify my visits between Red and Blue states.

I've long thought that the Democrats got the more naturally beautiful states, leaving the duller, more bland ones for the Republicans. But now that I'm seeing this list, I'll have to rethink that notion.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've long thought that the Democrats got the more naturally beautiful states, leaving the duller, more bland ones for the Republicans. But now that I'm seeing this list, I'll have to rethink that notion.
You don't actually believe this, do you?

Old 01-12-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Regardless of the state-level politics, national parks are in more rural, remote parts of their states, so the residents around there will generally vote more Republican.
That used to be the case, but it has changed rapidly. Grand Teton National Park and the gems of Yellowstone - Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Lake - are in Teton County, WY, which was 67% Biden.

Glacier National Park is in Glacier County (64% Biden) and Flathead County (64% Trump), so an interesting split.

The most famous parts of the Grand Canyon are in 61% Biden Coconino County.

National Parks, particularly the most famous ones, tend to lure in upper middle class tourists and cost of living quickly increases as prices rise to tap into that revenue stream. Eventually, the only people who can afford it are wealthy environmentalists.

I went to Jackson, WY, last summer and was shocked that the cheapest decent hotels were $300 a night. A lot of the Colorado ones are equally expensive now.

Another case is Alaska, where the State is Republican (+10% Trump), but a lot of the nature is in Democratic areas. The Alaska Panhandle, for example, is strongly blue, as is the entire Western half, which has a large Alaska Native population.

Old 01-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've been to 5 national parks in Blue states and 10 in Red.

Blue: Acadia, Grand Canyon, Haleakala, Hawaii Volcanoes, and Yosemite.

Red: Arches, Badlands, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Denali, Gateway Arch, Glacier Bay, Great Smoky Mountains, New River Gorge (before it became a national park), and Theodore Roosevelt.

Bucket List: I'd like to see them all, but the ones at the top of my list are Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, and Bryce Canyon.

If you go just based on which ones I've visited, or want to visit, the Red state ones are the clear favorites. However, my all-time favorite one (at least so far) is Yosemite, so I'm willing to diversify my visits between Red and Blue states.

Red states have more variance. To me, the most beautiful and the least beautiful states are both Republican.

Looking at the Thrillist ranking of states by beauty, here are the bottom 10:
  • Connecticut (#45)
  • Illinois (#48)
  • Indiana (#49)
  • Kansas (#50)
  • Louisiana (#46)
  • Mississippi (#43)
  • Nebraska (#40)
  • New Jersey (#41)
  • Ohio (#42)
  • Oklahoma (#44)

7 of the 10 ugliest are GOP.

Looking at the prettiest 15 we get:
  • Alaska (#3)
  • Arizona (#12)
  • California (#1)
  • Colorado (#5)
  • Hawaii (#2)
  • Maine (#14)
  • Michigan (#10)
  • Montana (#9)
  • North Carolina (#13)
  • Oregon (#7)
  • South Dakota (#11)
  • Utah (#4)
  • Washington (#6)
  • West Virginia (#15)
  • Wyoming (#8)

7 of the prettiest are GOP, including two of the superstars (Alaska, Utah).

Democratic states have less variance, since Blue States are clustered on the coasts, so they tend to have more beaches and mountain access (Appalachians, Cascades). So they all have something to offer except maybe Illinois (no offense). So the median blue state will be prettier. GOP states include most of the interior, so while there's a good chunk of beautiful interior (Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah), there's also a lot of dull prairie (Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota), hence the big chasm in perception.

Old 01-12-2021, 02:31 PM

515 posts, read 252,665 times
I did a double take when seeing New River Gorge as a NP, but did a quick check, and yep. it got signed as a part of the CAA on Dec 27.

As far as the main topic goes, they all have their own beauty but more of my personal favorites are in blue states, with Olympic, Yosemite, and Rocky Mountains in CO. I guess with usually coasts being blue the ones I like the most are generally in blue states...

Old 01-12-2021, 03:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Since when is the Great Smoky Mountains NP no longer considered one of the "Crown Jewels?" It will always be in my book.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Since when is the Great Smoky Mountains NP no longer considered one of the "Crown Jewels?" It will always be in my book.
It's arguably Top 10, but never at the level of Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, or Zion. It gets a lot of traffic, however, due to being one of the few National Parks east of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City