Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Buffalo, Oklahoma City, Green Bay and Cincinnati wouldn’t have any teams.
Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and Baltimore wouldnot have an MLB team.

Las Vegas would have an NBA and NFL team
Seattle would have an NBA team
Charlotte would have an MLB team
Austin would have an MLB and NHL Team
Hampton Roads would have an NBA team
Salt Lake City would have an NHL team
Columbus would get Cincinnati’s teams
I think Buffalo still gets/has Hockey due to its location and is big enough to support a team.

I agree with CincyExpert on this and I think people are underestimating the presence of Ohio State in Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 11:13 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
As more transplants from the Northeast (hockey fans) continue to relocate to SoFla I expect Panthers attendance to pick up. They also made the NHL playoffs last year which, if that continues, will help. Talks of an imminent move away from here have subsided.

Marlins should stabilize with new ownership as you point out. Bad taste in the mouth of fans after the previous crappy owner, Jeffrey Loria, broke up 2 World Championship teams and got rid of 4 All Stars in Stanton, Yelich, Reamulto and Ozuna following the tragic death of Jose Fernandez in 2016 (whom he wouldn’t have paid free agency money to anyways). There also was salt in the wound with putting up Marlins Park—a great facility, but lacking public transportation to and from—on the historical and hallowed Orange Bowl grounds that was torn down to put the ballpark in its place. Some think Marlins Park might have been better served in the downtown area rather than Little Havana. Once the team restores fan confidence they should get back to their 20,000+ attendance levels they had as recently as 2017. Not great but not bad—and baseball is not a foreign sport to the Hispanic community. Marlins aren’t going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
MLB too in Florida. Tropicana Field was an epic fail for the Rays when it was built. They're lucky there's so many New Yorkers and Northeasterners in FL because they drive the park's attendance way up for almost 20 reg season games a year with just the Yankees and Red Sox coming to town. The Marlins situation isn't much better. Yet again, they've got deep pockets and Jeter owning the team should keep them competitive. It's amazing how good the Rays are on the field considering their tiny payroll and the stadium they play in.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-13-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 11:19 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Can you explain your rationale for giving Cincinnati's teams to Columbus?

The Cincinnati MSA, while growing slower, is still larger than Columbus's at the moment.

Columbus's CSA is larger than Cincinnati's by a few hundred thousand, but when you incorporate Cincinnati's proximity to the Dayton CSA of 1 million (which I believe should be included in Cincy's CSA), that negates Columbus's current population advantage.

If anything, the two cities should have an equal number of teams.
I wouldn't invest in Cincinnati right now if Columbus was available. Maybe someone would, but there are a lot of teams in Ohio.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think Buffalo still gets/has Hockey due to its location and is big enough to support a team.

I agree with CincyExpert on this and I think people are underestimating the presence of Ohio State in Columbus.
Maybe-I can't imagine being somewhere people even moderately cared about college sports-let alone Columbus

Buffalo-Are people investing in a sub-275k person city in a state with declining prospects and population in a cold market? With Detroit and NYC relatively nearby?

Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maybe-I can't imagine being somewhere people even moderately cared about college sports-let alone Columbus
You would be surprised by a lot of cities. You may say that as someone that grew up in a city with pro sports, but in many cities without pro sports, major Division 1 sports can have a similar fan base/following.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Default here's another factor to consider:

If pro sports was starting from scratch in the US, and there were an equal number of franchises (e.g. 24) to be handed out in each sport,
would the same 24 metros get a franchise in each sport? Hopefully not, because interest in each sport isn't equally spread around the country.
Hockey, of course, is historically rooted in the northern tier of states, football is biggest around the Great Lakes and the South, etc.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:46 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Here's how I see it:

LOSE 1 or more teams:

Cleveland, OH (lose NBA)
Cincinnati, OH (lose MLB)
Detroit, MI (lose NBA or MLB)
Green Bay, WI (lose NFL)
Pittsburgh, PA (lose MLB or NHL)
Buffalo, NY (lose NFL)
Chicago, IL (1 less baseball team)
Milwaukee, WI (lose NBA)

GAIN 1 or more teams:
Austin, TX (add NFL or NBA)
Portland, OR (add NFL)
Charlotte, NC (add MLB)
Atlanta, GA (add NHL)
Nashville, TN (add MLB)
Houston, TX (add NHL)
Louisville, KY (add NBA)
Las Vegas, NV (add NBA)
Salt Lake City, UT (add NFL)
Seattle, WA (add NHL)
San Diego, CA (add NFL)
San Antonio, TX (add NFL or MLB)
Orlando, FL (add NFL or MLB or NHL)

Basically the trend to lose teams follows major loss in population in the northeast and midwest "rust belt," and follows major gains in population with the south and the west.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Here's how I see it:

LOSE 1 or more teams:

Cleveland, OH
Cincinnati, OH
Detroit, MI
Green Bay, WI
Pittsburgh, PA
Buffalo, NY
Chicago, IL (1 less baseball team)

GAIN 1 or more teams:
Austin, TX
Portland, OR
Charlotte, NC
Atlanta, GA
Nashville, TN
Houston, TX
Louisville, KY
Las Vegas, NV
Salt Lake City, UT
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA
San Antonio, TX
Orlando, FL

Basically the trend to lose teams follows major loss in population in the northeast and midwest "rust belt," and follows major gains in population with the south and the west.
Spot on

Old 01-13-2021, 11:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Detroit, MI (lose NBA or MLB)...

...Nashville, TN (add MLB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Spot on
Why do you think a metro of 4.2 million (and CSA of 5.3 million) *CAN'T* support 4 professional teams, but a metro less than half its size *CAN* support 4 professional teams?

Old 01-13-2021, 12:09 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Why do you think a metro of 4.2 million (and CSA of 5.3 million) *CAN'T* support 4 professional teams, but a metro less than half its size *CAN* support 4 professional teams?
Detroit is somewhat stagnant in terms of overall growth, and losing people.

Nashville is growing explosively and has a robust job market and is one of the "hot cities buzzing" right now.

Detroit would still have 3 teams. Don't know if Detroit would be all that upset to lose the Lions anyway. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City