Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose (GVL vs Knox vs. Chatt vs. Hunts)
Greenville (SC) 27 37.50%
Knoxville 15 20.83%
Huntsville 13 18.06%
Chattanooga 25 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 08:53 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I think the downside to Greenville is that, while the CSA has 1.4M people (not too shabby), it's spread out amongst a number of tiny cities that Greenville it self doesn't have as sizeable a downtown as one would think. I was there last weekend though, and there's no doubt it's poised for crazy growth.

Ironincally, Chattanooga doesnt have giant mountains, but it's perhaps the most immersed in nature of all of them.
Greenville has Paris Mountain right next to downtown, with the bigger NC mountains about an hour away. Knoxville too, about an hour until you are really IN the mountains of Gatlinburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 08:56 AM

20 posts, read 24,603 times
greenville an area much larger than all those cities because if it is by city limits greenville has 26 miles we all know the annexation laws of south carolina that would be unfair the most populated area of ​​south carolina with all the stores. that you will not find in those three cities. they neither feel nor are they bigger than greenville is a large area everything is expanded. in greenville

Old 01-15-2021, 10:08 AM

730 posts, read 814,580 times
Why Chattanooga has my vote as well as that of Outside Magazine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss96B_x2_N8

Old 01-15-2021, 12:56 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,208,036 times
Chattanooga and Huntsville are only about 100 miles apart and the counties where they are located have similar populations - Hamilton County, TN and Madison County, AL are each around 370,000. But Huntsville/Madison is noticeably higher income and better educated than Chattanooga/Hamilton, and it also has slightly more diverse and younger demographics.

There are a variety of reasons for this which have been apparent for years - the two metro areas have different economic bases and Chattanooga went through some very difficult times a few decades ago before it developed many of the attractive civic amenities that exist today. Huntsville has a very special niche with the defense/technology sector and most of its growth occurred in the postwar years, so the city's traditional urban footprint is disproportionately small.

Hamilton County, TN vs Madison County, AL

All four places have a lot to offer but I thought given the population alignment of Chattanooga and Huntsville it would be interesting to see how those two compare in particular.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:27 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,230,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Huntsville has a very special niche with the defense/technology sector and most of its growth occurred in the postwar years, so the city's traditional urban footprint is disproportionately small.
particularly ironic, given that it is the oldest incorporated town in the state (1805 i think). but yes, its rapid growth occurred after WW2. before that, nearby decatur was the "large" city in north alabama.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM

513 posts, read 576,174 times
They are all very nice cities; hard to wrong with any of them! Here's two videos on Greenville (area). The first just scratches the surface on it's outdoor offerings but there are too many to name. A few; Paris Mtn, Jones Gap, Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Nine Times Preserve, Lakes Hartwell, Jocassee, Keowee, and Robinson, scores of waterfalls, Chattooga River, countless trails, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIqo7oyGAfI

This is a recent one centered on downtown growth and amenities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHHXLIMsQJQ

Old 01-15-2021, 08:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Chattanooga and Huntsville are only about 100 miles apart and the counties where they are located have similar populations - Hamilton County, TN and Madison County, AL are each around 370,000. But Huntsville/Madison is noticeably higher income and better educated than Chattanooga/Hamilton, and it also has slightly more diverse and younger demographics.

There are a variety of reasons for this which have been apparent for years - the two metro areas have different economic bases and Chattanooga went through some very difficult times a few decades ago before it developed many of the attractive civic amenities that exist today. Huntsville has a very special niche with the defense/technology sector and most of its growth occurred in the postwar years, so the city's traditional urban footprint is disproportionately small.

Hamilton County, TN vs Madison County, AL

All four places have a lot to offer but I thought given the population alignment of Chattanooga and Huntsville it would be interesting to see how those two compare in particular.
Chattanooga's downtown is the best imo. I see the potential with the massive infill projects announced. As Mutiny stated, Chattanooga could do a better job synergizing and connecting the downtown to other areas. Chattanooga's metro area does not match its downtown, which is a major weakness. The metro is run down looking and low quality jobs. I would rank Chattanooga last place for those reasons. Chattanooga does offer affordable housing which is critical for attracting young people.

Jobs: Greenville, Huntsville a close second in terms of quality and quantity.
Scenery: All three have impressive scenery, but to me Greenville does the best job promoting and developing attractive areas.
Outdoor Activities: Knoxville
Proximity to other places: Greenville is located directly between two monster metros and on a high growth corridor.
Urbanity: Chattanooga. Knoxville would win if it were more developed. Knoxville has the most impressive downtown layout and visibility but has been very slow to redevelop. Huntsville is the least urban. Although Huntsville's downtown is improving, it is disjointed and needs an infrastructure upgrade.
COL: Huntsville. Although Chattanooga is the cheapest, you get so much more for your money in Huntsville including safer, wealthier neighborhoods, and better shopping and amenities. Huntsville is the metro to watch this decade, as the number of commercial and residential growth has exploded.

https://www.huntsville.org/things-to...to-huntsville/

https://cummingsresearchpark.com/

https://spacenews.com/alabamas-redst...space-command/

All the cities have unique qualities and are worth a look. I could live in any of them, but I would choose Greenville. Greenville is the largest and most well rounded. The people were friendly and never had a bad experience there.

Old 01-16-2021, 03:05 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yeah, I think the downside to Greenville is that, while the CSA has 1.4M people (not too shabby), it's spread out amongst a number of tiny cities that Greenville it self doesn't have as sizeable a downtown as one would think.
I think any disappointment one might have concerning the size of downtown Greenville upon visiting would quickly give way to pleasant surprise considering the punch it packs. Area residents have a palpable and enthusiastic civic pride that's rare, and rightfully so. Over the course of nearly half a century, the city has stuck to the principles that guided the foundational blueprint for its downtown revitalization process and it has been rewarded handsomely for it.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:46 AM

841 posts, read 825,691 times
I like all four cities, although I'm not personally familiar with Greenville other than passing through on I-85. My personal preference would be Chattanooga for the best scenery right in the city, although the others are no slouches (I would likely choose Huntsville as second for best scenery in the city itself). Knoxville and Greenville have the best proximity to dramatic mountain scenery, which is a plus for them in my book. Someone mentioned Huntsville having the least expensive housing. I'm not sure that's accurate, as the high-income population = higher housing costs. There is certainly very affordable housing in the metro, though.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:24 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Four great mid-sized Southern cities. All have their positives and attributes.

Greenville will probably get the most votes in the poll, but it would be fourth on my list.

For me:
1. Huntsville
2. Chattanooga
3. Knoxville
4. Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City