Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose (GVL vs Knox vs. Chatt vs. Hunts)
Greenville (SC) 27 37.50%
Knoxville 15 20.83%
Huntsville 13 18.06%
Chattanooga 25 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 03:33 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaplan View Post
City population means nothing outside of a discussion regarding matters within its political boundaries.
Population growth is critical toward sustaining any economy. Huntsville also boasts healthy job growth numbers, the highest of this group in the past three years and an unemployment rate just shy of Greenville's. To dismiss Huntsville's growth as simply bragging rights for a political boundary misses the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I would Choose Greenville out of these cities, It's pretty has a lot going on and in a great location, I see nothing but good things in it's future. It's a rapidly rising metro in a rapidly rising state in a rapidly rising region

By most metrics Knoxville outdoes Chattanooga, but Chattanooga seems more Popular and more well liked than Knoxville.
Growing up, we Used to Take Weekend Trips to the Space Center in Huntsville. Outside of conversations like these and for people not in the know Huntsville flys under the radar, But I think Huntsville is a Bright Spot for Alabama and one of the few areas of the state seeing impressive (by alabama standards anyways) growth

Jobs- Greenville
Scenery - Tough One I nearly picked Greenville because I'm A sucker for Falls Park and the Water Falls in Greenville, But Chattanooga's scenery is hard to beat, Knoxville even has nice scenery Huntsville is last in this category,
Outdoor Activities- If you include Sevier County with Knoxville than Knoxville, if not Chattanooga
Proximity to other places- How Could Greenville lose ? Between Atl and Charlotte, the rest of South Carolina and beaches
Urbanity Chattanooga
COL Chattanooga

I have Trouble Choosing between Chatt Knox and Green in a lot of these categories, But Huntsville is a easy 4th outside maybe jobs, and that's no knock on Huntsville, it's just simply can't compete with cities like Knoxville on Scenery or Greenville or even Chattanooga with "proximity to other places" if Knoxville was a "monster metro" like Charlotte, Chattanooga would be in a similar position like greenville when it comes to Proximity to other places, minus the ocean

It's so hard to choose between Chat and Knox for #2 for me. if You include Sevier County(part of knox's CSA but not it's MSA) I would probably choose Knox but Chat has proximity to Atl that's what it brings to the table, if we just include the cities themselves I would Choose Chattanooga. But If we Include the total package, meaning The Smokies at Knoxville's door, Sevier County (dollywood and theme parks), Larger metro that's inching towards 1 million, slightly larger economy with matching jobs, and far away from Atlanta and Nashville to where the brain drain effect is not as intense as it is with Atl and Chat then I think I would Choose Knoxville for #2, but I like downtown Chattanooga better

I would Choose
#1 Greenville
#2a Knoxville
#2 b Chattanooga
#4 Huntsville
I agree on most points, but Huntsville does have pretty scenery. If you have not been on the city's east and south east boundaries then you miss Monte Sano, the only mountain in the city limits of this group, excluding Paris Mountain which is mostly in Greenville County. You also miss Blevins Gap Nature Preserve, The Land Trust of Northern Alabama, and the massive Hampton Cove community, all located on scenic U.S. 431. I-65 and even I 565 don't expose the most scenic parts of Huntsville. The Tennessee River is also a treat that Huntsville shares with Knoxville and Chattanooga. And if we are including Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, then we should include Guntersville and Decatur in the discussion, which are underrated in their own scenery and attractions.

https://www.huntsville.org/things-to...no-state-park/

https://www.landtrustnal.org/

https://www.alabamascenicrivertrail....nnessee-river/

https://www.alapark.com/parks/lake-g...lle-state-park

https://decaturdowntown.org/

Old 01-17-2021, 09:37 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Its ironic because Im actually considering visiting one of these cities over Valentines day weekend. My wife is going back to LA to see some friends whose company I dont really care for so Im not going with her. I was thinking of taking my mother somewhere. I was considering Huntsville and Greenville since weve been to Knoxville and Chattanooga and my wife wont let me go to Charleston or Savannah without her.

My mother isnt in good enough shape to hike so it would be mainly enjoying the city. What say you guys?

Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Take her to Greenville. Asheville is close enough that you could do a day trip there from Greenville, and the drive is gorgeous.

In Greenville there are two nice hotels practically on top of the waterfalls that both tie nicely into their Downtown, an Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn and Suites. There are a lot of good restaurants to choose from in their very cool Downtown as well. It's a nice little getaway, and they have done a very impressive job with Downtown.

Enjoy!

Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its ironic because Im actually considering visiting one of these cities over Valentines day weekend. My wife is going back to LA to see some friends whose company I dont really care for so Im not going with her. I was thinking of taking my mother somewhere. I was considering Huntsville and Greenville since weve been to Knoxville and Chattanooga and my wife wont let me go to Charleston or Savannah without her.

My mother isnt in good enough shape to hike so it would be mainly enjoying the city. What say you guys?
I don't think there is a wrong answer especially because they all the equal capacity to entertain a single person for a few days. I just got back from GVL on a work trip and got to stay downtown. Was super affordable and easy, but was also a sort of ghost town downtown, most likely due to the new years hangover and cold weather. But I think all would offer you something.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Take her to Greenville. Asheville is close enough that you could do a day trip there from Greenville, and the drive is gorgeous.

In Greenville there are two nice hotels practically on top of the waterfalls that both tie nicely into their Downtown, an Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn and Suites. There are a lot of good restaurants to choose from in their very cool Downtown as well. It's a nice little getaway, and they have done a very impressive job with Downtown.

Enjoy!
I agree with this /\

Old 01-18-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

Enjoy!
Agreed

Old 01-18-2021, 10:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
All four cities are Southern jewels.

About Greenville: It seems like it is a bit more hyper-conservative than the others. And Upstate is the more conservative part of SC.
Yeah I get it. Historically it hasn't exactly been the most welcoming place to 'others' but its pro-business stance and success in attracting a good bit of industry over the years has had more of a moderating influence in that respect.

Also the success Greenville has had in revitalizing its downtown has inspired other places in the area to do the same, specifically Spartanburg (a rising star in its own right), Greer, and Anderson.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:01 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,888,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree on most points, but Huntsville does have pretty scenery. If you have not been on the city's east and south east boundaries then you miss Monte Sano, the only mountain in the city limits of this group, excluding Paris Mountain which is mostly in Greenville County. You also miss Blevins Gap Nature Preserve, The Land Trust of Northern Alabama, and the massive Hampton Cove community, all located on scenic U.S. 431. I-65 and even I 565 don't expose the most scenic parts of Huntsville. The Tennessee River is also a treat that Huntsville shares with Knoxville and Chattanooga. And if we are including Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, then we should include Guntersville and Decatur in the discussion, which are underrated in their own scenery and attractions.

https://www.huntsville.org/things-to...no-state-park/

https://www.landtrustnal.org/

https://www.alabamascenicrivertrail....nnessee-river/

https://www.alapark.com/parks/lake-g...lle-state-park

https://decaturdowntown.org/

Aw man I did sell Huntsville scenery short, it's much better than I suggested

Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
All four cities are Southern jewels.

About Greenville: It seems like it is a bit more hyper-conservative than the others. And Upstate is the more conservative part of SC.
Yeah, Greenville and the surrounding area is Conservative. Not sure what "hyper" Conservative means, but, ok. Conservative isn't a bad thing, I am one . Conservative areas also have lower costs of living, a high QOL, and people of different backgrounds get along really well. Some of the most friendly people I've come across anywhere in the nation have been in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. They're very friendly and welcoming, as long as they're respected. No agreement necessary, just respected. Very live/let live. What more can one ask for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City