Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is prettier, deciduous or coniferous vegetation?
Deciduous 47 54.65%
Coniferous 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 02:22 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter1162 View Post
This is kind of misleading thread.

The east coast is full of conifer trees like Pines and Junipers (eastern red cedars).

Here in Virginia and points south Pines rule most of the forests in the coastal plains. We have all sorts of vegetation here not just deciduous.
It just seems that coniferous trees are more dominant on the West Coast (fir, sequoias, etc.) while in the East Coast deciduous trees are more abundant (oak, maple, etc.). Of course it's not to say there aren't a lot of coniferous trees on the East Coast nor there aren't a lot of deciduous trees on the West Coast by any means.

That said I voted for coniferous, especially the Christmas trees you see a lot of in the PNW, and the Sequoias of Yosemite, and the Redwoods. Something about the tall trunks, the shade they provide, and the fresh smell. Also the pines in the Southeast as you mentioned, and also have to give a mention to the Japanese cedars (cryptomerias). Of course with deciduous trees, the fall foliage is a huge plus.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Depends on the time of year. The fall color of the eastern deciduous trees with the various maples, Black Gum, Dogwood, and Crabapples are far more colorful than our Big Leaf Maples, Alders and Cottonwoods. We do have unique fall color with our deciduous conifer, however, the native Golden Larch. I have one as a bonsai.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 PM

40 posts, read 35,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter1162 View Post
This is kind of misleading thread.

The east coast is full of conifer trees like Pines and Junipers (eastern red cedars).

Here in Virginia and points south Pines rule most of the forests in the coastal plains. We have all sorts of vegetation here not just deciduous.
It’s not really misleading. If you look at this vegetation map and click on “% deciduous” you will see a stark difference in the percentage of each type of tree on each coast, upwards of 90% of each respective type of tree. It’s only once you get to southern Georgia and southern South Carolina do you notice heterogeneity.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:21 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
For within the urban environment it's no contest. The deciduous trees with their overhanging branches, broad leaves, and light shade of green create a far more desirable and welcoming environment, and they change with the seasons indicating a passage of time.

Coniferous trees are uniformly underwhelming in every season, an aura of monotonous mediocrity.
In urban environments, most of the trees are planted. The older neighborhoods in Seattle are almost entirely deciduous.

Own photo from the past fall, Seattle.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:58 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
For within the urban environment it's no contest. The deciduous trees with their overhanging branches, broad leaves, and light shade of green create a far more desirable and welcoming environment, and they change with the seasons indicating a passage of time.

In the summer they're full, provide shade, and are the essence of the summer season.

In the spring they blossom and flower.

In the fall they change into beautiful colors.

In the winter they let you know it's winter.

Coniferous trees are uniformly underwhelming in every season, an aura of monotonous mediocrity.
No arguments here, although do I think coniferous trees certainly have aesthetic value. But the lack of visual variety (at least as compared to deciduous trees) is definitely a big strike against them, especially when considering seasonal variation as you note. Frankly, I'm surprised the poll is so close as for preference.

And yes, the tree canopy or "cathedral effect" for deciduous, especially in an urban setting, is incredible.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:47 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
In urban environments, most of the trees are planted. The older neighborhoods in Seattle are almost entirely deciduous.
Huh, I don't know why it never occurred to me that that's why the central parts of Seattle have mostly deciduous trees. Great picture btw.

I do like the giant old-growth conifers you see when you get into far-north Seattle/Shoreline/Lynnwood.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 PM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Huh, I don't know why it never occurred to me that that's why the central parts of Seattle have mostly deciduous trees. Great picture btw.

I do like the giant old-growth conifers you see when you get into far-north Seattle/Shoreline/Lynnwood.
Still no contest
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8146...7i16384!8i8192

Old 01-19-2021, 10:10 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Conifers by themselves aren’t that pretty. I do like deciduous set against the Appalachians, a la West Virginia or Western NC.

Then again, I actually prefer desert scenery. That favors the west.

The West is also good because it’s a bit more diverse. You can get your deciduous fall colours down at lower altitudes, conifers up higher, or go to the desert. Or see all three in one day.

West for me, please.

Otherwise, I can’t really just vote for one or the other:

Old 01-19-2021, 11:22 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton7 View Post
It’s not really misleading. If you look at this vegetation map and click on “% deciduous” you will see a stark difference in the percentage of each type of tree on each coast, upwards of 90% of each respective type of tree. It’s only once you get to southern Georgia and southern South Carolina do you notice heterogeneity.
Cool map! But if you look at the puget sound lowlands and the Willamette valley it’s about 50-50 between coniferous and deciduous with a slight edge to the coniferous, maybe at most it’s 60-40, but still clearly mixed. Only the mountainous areas are dominants by coniferous. One thing though the eastern US forests are a lot more diverse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City