Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is prettier, deciduous or coniferous vegetation?
Deciduous 47 54.65%
Coniferous 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:47 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Conifers by themselves aren’t that pretty.
Disagree here. Growing up in CO (Black Forest) in a forest of entirely one species, Ponderosa Pine, you learn to appreciate them. Conifers in general are a more durable tree and tell more stories, they bonzai themselves in a sense:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 05:54 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
Eh that doesn't impress me TBH, it's kind of shrubby. It's green in the summer, but there's no awe and the fall colors are short. I know that area in Chicagoland well.

This is the same area of the road you posted, but in the winter:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8141...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-20-2021, 07:03 PM

257 posts, read 167,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Eh that doesn't impress me TBH, it's kind of shrubby. It's green in the summer, but there's no awe and the fall colors are short. I know that area in Chicagoland well.

This is the same area of the road you posted, but in the winter:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8141...7i13312!8i6656
Dont mind the trees in the winter, the branches themselves can still be majestic in a big mature tree.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:11 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Disagree here. Growing up in CO (Black Forest) in a forest of entirely one species, Ponderosa Pine, you learn to appreciate them. Conifers in general are a more durable tree and tell more stories, they bonzai themselves in a sense:
Too bad the picture no worky

I guess my problem isn’t so much that conifers themselves aren’t attractive, it’s that the fallen needles really crowd out a lot of variety. It can get a bit monotonous. I’m in the “piney woods” section of Texas, and even here there’s not huge variety unless you get into a city/suburb where folks have planted other things. That gets even more intense in places like western/central Louisiana. There’s a big, long belt of pines all through the south, and it gets monotonous. At least if you go far enough west you find a larger variety of vegetation in different areas, and if you head back East, especially in Appalachia you have one of the most species-dense old forests on the planet.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:32 PM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
West Coast foliage is much better in my opinion. It stays green all year, not just conifers but broad lead evergreens such as Magnolias, Madrones, Eucalyptus, and so many more. All are commonly planted as street trees. As are many deciduous which give spectacular fall color. The climate can also support a variety of palms and subtropical foliage. If you're looking for landscape diversity that's green most of the year, definitely West Coast. From Vancouver to the Bay Area.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
The nice thing about coniferous areas is you can hike in a trail like this below in the middle of January.

Own photo, Seattle burbs. There's also plenty of ferns and green plants underneath the trees. And as said earlier, the more established residential areas tend to have plenty of deciduous trees so you can also have fall colors and residential tree canopy. Best of both worlds IMO.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:58 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Depends on the time of year. The fall color of the eastern deciduous trees with the various maples, Black Gum, Dogwood, and Crabapples are far more colorful than our Big Leaf Maples, Alders and Cottonwoods. We do have unique fall color with our deciduous conifer, however, the native Golden Larch. I have one as a bonsai.

Incredible.

Old 01-21-2021, 03:08 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
West Coast foliage is much better in my opinion. It stays green all year, not just conifers but broad lead evergreens such as Magnolias, Madrones, Eucalyptus, and so many more. All are commonly planted as street trees. As are many deciduous which give spectacular fall color. The climate can also support a variety of palms and subtropical foliage. If you're looking for landscape diversity that's green most of the year, definitely West Coast. From Vancouver to the Bay Area.
The sliver of Pacific coast from the Bay Area to southern Oregon is the greatest sweetspot for the vegetative combination that you describe. It has my second favorite foliage PNV in the continental US, outside of Florida and the immediate Gulf/SE coast.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
You know what I always say, you can never have enough ponderosa pines. I wish I lived amongst them, but Flagstaff will have to do.

But I appreciate all forests for what they truly are for me: filled with something I see so little of in my day to day.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:24 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Too bad the picture no worky

I guess my problem isn’t so much that conifers themselves aren’t attractive, it’s that the fallen needles really crowd out a lot of variety. It can get a bit monotonous. I’m in the “piney woods” section of Texas, and even here there’s not huge variety unless you get into a city/suburb where folks have planted other things. That gets even more intense in places like western/central Louisiana. There’s a big, long belt of pines all through the south, and it gets monotonous. At least if you go far enough west you find a larger variety of vegetation in different areas, and if you head back East, especially in Appalachia you have one of the most species-dense old forests on the planet.
I wonder if the difference is the age and the wildness of the forest. If a lot of the forests in that area are planted timber stands that get harvested every 50 years, it's not as appealing. What makes conifers cool is how they age and snarl. I just moved to the SE, so I need to explore more and see how similar or different conifers are here from the Rocky Mountain trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The sliver of Pacific coast from the Bay Area to southern Oregon is the greatest sweetspot for the vegetative combination that you describe. It has my second favorite foliage PNV in the continental US, outside of Florida and the immediate Gulf/SE coast.
It's kinda interesting how on the west coast, most of the people live on the southern and northern tip of it, but the most naturally blessed piece of land is right in the middle there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You know what I always say, you can never have enough ponderosa pines. I wish I lived amongst them, but Flagstaff will have to do.

But I appreciate all forests for what they truly are for me: filled with something I see so little of in my day to day.
Well, you can have too many , they naturally grow too thick and need to be thinned by fire or people:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City