Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the beast Beaches/Beach Cities on the US Atlantic Coast
Maine Beaches 1 0.93%
New Hampshire beaches 0 0%
Massachusetts beaches (outside cape cod) 0 0%
Cape Cod 7 6.54%
Rhode Island Beaches 1 0.93%
Connecticut Beaches 0 0%
Long Island Beaches 5 4.67%
Jersey Shore 11 10.28%
Ocean City/Delaware Beaches 2 1.87%
VA Eastern shore Beaches 0 0%
Virginia Beach 4 3.74%
Outer Banks 10 9.35%
Wilmington Area Beaches 4 3.74%
Myrtle Beach/Grand Strand 4 3.74%
Charleston Area Beaches 8 7.48%
Hilton Head/SC Barrier Islands 1 0.93%
Georgia Beaches 3 2.80%
Jacksonville Area/St Augustine/First Coast 4 3.74%
Daytona Beach/Fun Coast 3 2.80%
Cocoa Beach/Space Coast 1 0.93%
Vero Beach/Port St. Lucie Area Beaches 1 0.93%
Palm Beach/Broward County Beaches 7 6.54%
Miami Beach 23 21.50%
Florida Keys 7 6.54%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 05:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 926,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Bald Head Island and Emerald Isle are missing. Charleston is a beautiful beach town. Jacksonville is last place for me. To be on the coast and as large as it is, the city lacks a beach culture presence and the beaches that are there are dirty and ugly development.
They're not a super beach community, per se, but their treasured beach
and cultural spring is St Augustine with a sizable head start.

i'll put St Augustine on Saturday evening up against a lot of places.
It's truly fabulous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 11:01 AM

918 posts, read 564,818 times
Beaches vs Beach Cities: two very different things. There already lots on best beaches, not so much on beach cities as such. And beach town =/= beach city (i.e., Cape May is a beach town, not a beach city; there are no beach cities in Long Island's East end or in Cape Cod & the Islands in MA; by contrast, Newport RI can credibly claim to be a (small) beach city as it is densely built (though not built tall) and has been such since colonial and the Federal era times when it was one of America's most populated urban areas - it was 9th in 1790, 10th in 1800, and 11th in 1810 - and maintained an importance that, for example, Nantucket lost and faded).

Old 04-02-2021, 04:17 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,857,480 times
Just got back from Ocracoke today. What a treasure.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:15 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
LI beaches make me sad.
You never been on a Long Island ocean beach have you?

Old 04-02-2021, 07:51 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You never been on a Long Island ocean beach have you?
Lol wut. I lived in the city for how many years? Sorry. They aren't that great when you factor in neighboring NJ, MA, RI, and Delmarva beaches.

Have you not been to beaches outside LI?

Old 04-02-2021, 09:03 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Lol wut. I lived in the city for how many years? Sorry. They aren't that great when you factor in neighboring NJ, MA, RI, and Delmarva beaches.

Have you not been to beaches outside LI?
Oh, I am sure you did.

But you want to know why I am questioning you?

"Long Island beaches make me sad". But then you praise MA and RI beaches. They were made by the same exact natural and geographic forces as Long Island beaches! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Lands

And from what I have seen, New Jersey and Delaware are similar.

But I get it, I am not crazy about New York anymore either. But to say beaches like at Long Beach, Fire Island, the Hamptons and Montauk are sad, beaches that are often listed among the best beaches on the East coast, is not fair at all.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Oh, I am sure you did.

But you want to know why I am questioning you?

"Long Island beaches make me sad". But then you praise MA and RI beaches. They were made by the same exact natural and geographic forces as Long Island beaches! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Lands

And from what I have seen, New Jersey and Delaware are similar.

But I get it, I am not crazy about New York anymore either. But to say beaches like at Long Beach, Fire Island, the Hamptons and Montauk are sad, beaches that are often listed among the best beaches on the East coast, is not fair at all.
LI beaches outside the Hamptons are not comparable to MA, RI beaches. At all.

First off, the only cliffy beaches are near the end of LI from parts of the Hamptons to Montauk.
'
Secondly, LI beaches lack access in a lot of spots with compounds and/or homes that run up against the beach where that type of landscape exists.

Third, There are a lot more options to chose from in MA/RI over LI itself. Better beach towns, beach retreats and amenities. You get the extremes of quaint of the quaint to charming seaside towns like Ptown and Narragansett/Westerley. LI has little to compare. Fire Island and Jones Beach? Hamptons? Nah.

NJ & DE are more built up, bar a few. They are nothing like LI. Boardwalks, stores, restaurants, and walking trails along the beach? More similar to Coney Island.. if you even consider that LI. Sure Montauk and Jones Beach are a little like that, but nothing to the scale of what NJ offers.

So yes. LI cannot compare to neighboring state beaches. There is little reason to go there.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
LI beaches outside the Hamptons are not comparable to MA, RI beaches. At all.

First off, the only cliffy beaches are near the end of LI from parts of the Hamptons to Montauk.
'
Secondly, LI beaches lack access in a lot of spots with compounds and/or homes that run up against the beach where that type of landscape exists.

Third, There are a lot more options to chose from in MA/RI over LI itself. Better beach towns, beach retreats and amenities. You get the extremes of quaint of the quaint to charming seaside towns like Ptown and Narragansett/Westerley. LI has little to compare. Fire Island and Jones Beach? Hamptons? Nah.

NJ & DE are more built up, bar a few. They are nothing like LI. Boardwalks, stores, restaurants, and walking trails along the beach? More similar to Coney Island.. if you even consider that LI. Sure Montauk and Jones Beach are a little like that, but nothing to the scale of what NJ offers.

So yes. LI cannot compare to neighboring state beaches. There is little reason to go there.
Theres a reason places like LB are not like that. It brings a trashier clientele. Coney Island is trash. Atlantic City is trash. LB is all residential except for marvel, a few other small snack bar places, the allegria & skuden surf. It’s extremely classy & quiet @ night. The residents dont want the city overrun like that.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:42 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,677 times
It looks like there isn't much area with a combination of reliably warm, clear water on the East Coast. All you have is South Florida starting from Jupiter downward. The area of North Carolina around Emerald Isle also satisfies, albeit with shorter window throughout the year. Even when including the Gulf Coast, it is pretty much just Florida, with minor extension into Alabama (east of Mobile Bay), and then South Texas (Padre Island). Otherwise, no dice.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:34 AM

71 posts, read 65,901 times
Florida Keys should be excluded because they don't have beaches other than a few man-made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City