Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 07:32 PM

94,338 posts, read 125,266,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I wouldn't recommend Upstate NY. Its far more red, blighted and less desirable than New England. It doesn't fit OP's criteria.
Not true...I was going to mention the Albany area, but wanted to keep it as New England as possible for the thread. It offers pretty much everything the OP is looking for to be honest from the high/above average educational attainment, near a bunch of mountains, has multiple walkable Downtowns, multiple cities with a decent to good range of cultural diversity, not far from lakes(i.e.-Lake George), housing in relation to pay when looking at the median for both isn't that bad, it has an airport, train connection to NYC, etc. Ithaca meets a lot of the criteria as well, as only a couple of metro have a higher educational attainment in the country and it definitely has a "liberal"/outdoorsy/crunchy vibe, with Syracuse only an hour away and Rochester 2.

Yes, you can find hunting in rural parts of Upstate NY, but that can be found in much of the rural Northeast, including parts of New England.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-22-2021 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I wasn't aware of their previous mayor, interesting. By and large, that's a pretty conservative part of New York. NY's 21st district handily elected Elise Stafanik, she leans very far to the right. There's a big hunting culture in the area too.
Before her, Bill Owens represented the area and is a Democrat. While I don't get into this too much, but I believe Clinton County also voted for Clinton in the previous presidential election in 2016. So, it can change at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O...ork_politician)

This is the mayor I'm referring to, by the way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...rt_(politician)

Old 01-23-2021, 03:53 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,453,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just a thought, though it may be a stretch, but in terms of more affordable housing, but Plattsburgh NY may be an alternative for the Burlington/Lake Champlain Valley. There is this ferry system that links both side of the lake: https://ferries.com/
Airport? People are talking up Trudeau. I’ve used it a lot flying to Vancouver since there are lots of nonstop flights. I once used it to do an LA-Vancouver trip after a business trip intruded on my yearly Vancouver leisure trip. You have to allow an extra hour to clear US customs and Trudeau is on the wrong side of Montreal with heavy traffic at the Champlain Bridge and along the St Lawrence. You also have to allow for the big traffic delays. The US passport control “How long have you been in Canada?”, “Two hours.”, gets a raised eyebrow.

I’ve driven on Lake Champlain. Ferries are seasonal and driving around to Burlington is a really big drive.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:07 AM

12,258 posts, read 8,195,861 times
Quote:
Not true...I was going to mention the Albany area, but wanted to keep it as New England as possible for the thread. It offers pretty much everything the OP is looking for to be honest from the high/above average educational attainment, near a bunch of mountains, has multiple walkable Downtowns, multiple cities with a decent to good range of cultural diversity, not far from lakes(i.e.-Lake George), housing in relation to pay when looking at the median for both isn't that bad, it has an airport, train connection to NYC, etc. Ithaca meets a lot of the criteria as well, as only a couple of metro have a higher educational attainment in the country and it definitely has a "liberal"/outdoorsy/crunchy vibe, with Syracuse only an hour away and Rochester 2.

Yes, you can find hunting in rural parts of Upstate NY, but that can be found in much of the rural Northeast, including parts of New England.
No offense, its beautiful.. but after living there for a while and comparing the two.. there really is no contest.

As soon as you cross into VT or MA there is an immediate noticeable difference.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:50 AM

21,831 posts, read 13,039,826 times
Upstate NY isn't a stand-in for New England. There are similarities but there are differences. Neither is a booming place but Upstate NY is hurting more.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Airport? People are talking up Trudeau. I’ve used it a lot flying to Vancouver since there are lots of nonstop flights. I once used it to do an LA-Vancouver trip after a business trip intruded on my yearly Vancouver leisure trip. You have to allow an extra hour to clear US customs and Trudeau is on the wrong side of Montreal with heavy traffic at the Champlain Bridge and along the St Lawrence. You also have to allow for the big traffic delays. The US passport control “How long have you been in Canada?”, “Two hours.”, gets a raised eyebrow.

I’ve driven on Lake Champlain. Ferries are seasonal and driving around to Burlington is a really big drive.
Some ferries are, but the Plattsburgh to South Hero ferry is still operational according to the site.

I don’t know where the airport aspect came from...

Old 01-23-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Upstate NY isn't a stand-in for New England. There are similarities but there are differences. Neither is a booming place but Upstate NY is hurting more.
It depends on the area and I wasn’t making it a stand in for New England. My point was more about a more affordable housing alternative in the same general area as Burlington and allows for access to the city. I did more in line with how people suggested nearby areas of Maine like say Kittery for Portsmouth.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-23-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-23-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No offense, its beautiful.. but after living there for a while and comparing the two.. there really is no contest.

As soon as you cross into VT or MA there is an immediate noticeable difference.
I’ve heard and can see some of this as well, but a place like Oswego(went there too) is not what I’m referring to and Upstate NY is more industrial, in general. However, Ithaca is essentially an Upstate NY version of Burlington minus the nearby mountains(does have some nearby skiing, but still). Saratoga Springs is an Albany area city that is similar to these cities, isn’t too far from the Adirondacks, has a high educational attainment and jobs due to Global Foundries a semiconductor facility in that area.

With this said and to bring it back to New England, I’m surprised that the OP isn’t considering the Amherst/Northampton area of MA as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-23-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2021, 12:45 PM

21,831 posts, read 13,039,826 times
Quote:
I’ve heard and can see some of this as well, but a place like Oswego(went there too) is not what I’m referring to and Upstate NY is more industrial, in general. However, Ithaca is essentially an Upstate NY version of Burlington minus the nearby mountains(does have some nearby skiing, but still). Saratoga Springs is an Albany area city that is similar to these cities, isn’t too far from the Adirondacks, has a high educational attainment and jobs due to Global Foundries a semiconductor facility in that area.

With this said and to bring it back to New England, I’m surprised that the OP isn’t considering the Amherst/Northampton area of MA as well.
It isn’t until you hit Berkshire county of Franklin County where MA begin to have the same feel as Northern New England. sports in the far Roth east perimeter too. I think it’s clear OP want the Northern NE feel if they excluded Amherst/Northampton’. It’s similar to VT but it’s still a bit more of a “metro area” much less remote than Burlington and Portland. Definitely more diverse than anywhere but Portland, maybe.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 10,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I like visiting the other side of the lake and heading into Adirondacks, they're fantastic! But honestly Plattsburgh leaves something to be desired. It also wouldn't match the OP's political leanings that were shared. Clinton County and most of the North County in Upstate is very red and decidedly Trump country.
That's helpful and does make a difference for me for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City