Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 11:15 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,444,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Even the picture posted was a bad example as the ground and vegetation are green and trees with small buds.
The ground is super green because U of C puts new grass in the lawns every spring and spends an inordinate amount of money to manicure the lawns for the summer high school tours.

Many trees are bare at the start of May with some trees just barely budding.

I’m not sure why this is controversial. Chicago is in the continental north. Trying to convince people here that Chicago is summer beach paradise in February and that everything is green by early May is just total garbage.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:32 AM

1,803 posts, read 945,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
The ground is super green because U of C puts new grass in the lawns every spring and spends an inordinate amount of money to manicure the lawns for the summer high school tours.

Many trees are bare at the start of May with some trees just barely budding.

I’m not sure why this is controversial. Chicago is in the continental north. Trying to convince people here that Chicago is summer beach paradise in February and that everything is green by early May is just total garbage.
It is just a defense of a Northern city claimed cloudy and dreary.... then we point out your new choice of Seattle. You push the winter card and we all know Chicago NYC, Boston, Philly and many others are Northern cities with real winter. If a former Chicagoan has some baggage.... well it is what it is. Winter is what it is. We can hate it and accept it. Much of the world has it. Some warmer cities get relief from months of heat when it arrives. Some get cloudy, dreary every day, rain etc. Well if it never snows.... wonderful. Still in climate that is not a utopia.

Lets forget budding trees in May 1st in Chicago.... it can happen in some years as some trees are known for early starts. Just as tulips are known to push a flower very early and why Chicago plants them along N Michigan Ave as its first seasonal flowers. Then comes other flower the city plants.

Losing a colder winter is great. NOT losing dreary and cloudy, damp and wet is not. Just saying. Why do we have to defend any city because it gets a real winter..... 2 cities in the topic do. One has no winter even close yet remains sunny. So then just choose LA because of no winter and sunny and we can just stop keeping weather a reason to lessen a city for good aspects and recovery it can get credit for as LA wins this then.

As for the pandemic..... all this so called recovery is yet to be realized. Again. I wish ALL our cities the best in recovery and we all should, dreary, wet, cold, snowy, stormy etc. Let's past weather to lessen a former city and again, even a Seattle does not have some perfect climate that a LA and SD can unless you must have real seasons. It's a warmer but damp winter and dreary yes and not really snow as well.... we know what city, so has far from optimum winters also.

NYC just got over a big one as it was by me also in the east. I have a canyon of snow out front. I Took a walk to a volunteer fire-house club/bar as is common in small cities and towns in PA yet.... Living near the downtown. Not every sidewalk in the downtown was shoveled good and ploys have a way to pile snow back against corners/intersections. I had to climb over or walk in the street. NOT FUN. IT IS WINTER in the EAST ALSO. I will not be worrying about a tree bud or blossom coming out right on May 1st by me. I know trees bud in my city much faster then on the mountains all around it. Just more heat in the city. Same I am sure for NYC especially and more likely for buds and blossoms on trees in Central Park then perhaps downtown Chicago by May 1st and not as quick on the mountains of PA by me as in the city? Just a day on calendar to me that trees do not abide by. I think the DC Cherry blossoms bloom end of march beginning of April. Not sure I remember when some blossoming trees come out by me in town?

April 28th 2020 link in Chicago about blossoming flowering trees in Chicago.

https://www.rwhendricksenco.com/type...h%20or%20April.

What link says.
- In the coming weeks, you should start to notice the blooms of flowering trees and shrubs which will inject some color into the landscape. The fresh spring blooms are always a nice contrast to the dull colors of winter, which is one of the reasons why the spring is such a great time of year in the Midwest.

The link has some pictures downtown and kinds of flowering trees of spring. May 1st is possible if March is milder I am sure. Every year? Probably not. WE KNOW BUDS COME OUT BEFORE BLOSSOMS TOO.

After I planted tulips in my yard years ago. I apparently planted them not deep enough near the home and by a close neighbors my yard goes too. They all came up the first year. Next year a frost in spring killed some. The next year again they came up too early and frost killed more. After the 3rd year all were gone but one. It lasted many years and the Polar vortex year got it.

Winter is a fact of life for much of the US. It is worth a mention not dwelling on. It is meaningless if trees bud by every May 1st.

Last edited by NoHyping; 02-04-2021 at 02:13 AM..

Old 02-04-2021, 05:28 AM

7,471 posts, read 6,644,823 times
^ ^ ^

Not sure why you’re getting so wound up over this...some choose to live where they are in spite of weather; other choose to live where they are because of weather. Been going on for quite awhile.

Those who are not fans of Chicago will cite the weather, even exaggerate about the duration of winter. Personally, I really like the city and only had an issue (most, not all of the time) with the cold from December 1 - mid March (3.5 months) from numerous work stints over a 6 year period. If I lived there, that is the period during which I would plan a couple of vacations—as some NY’ers do during that time as well.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-04-2021 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 AM

9,421 posts, read 9,424,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
^ ^ ^

Not sure why you’re getting so wound up over this...some choose to live where they are in spite of weather; other choose to live where they are because of weather. Been going on for quite awhile.

Those who are not fans of Chicago will cite the weather, even exaggerate about the duration of winter. Personally, I really like the city and only had an issue (most, not all of the time) with the cold from December 1 - mid March (3.5 months) from numerous work stints over a 6 year period. If I lived there, that is the period during which I would plan a couple of vacations—as some NY’ers do during that time as well.
Yea, I guess my original comment was taken the wrong way, I sort of started this, lol. It was meant to be a objective statement not a slander or a reason why people are leaving Chicago.

But back to the thread, I hope all 3 "recover", but all 3 have different issues (pre and post pandemic).

Old 02-04-2021, 06:45 AM

7,471 posts, read 6,644,823 times
3 different cities with unique urban vibes that I miss, are among my top 4-5 domestic cities I enjoy visiting and hope they all recover soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea, I guess my original comment was taken the wrong way, I sort of started this, lol. It was meant to be a objective statement not a slander or a reason why people are leaving Chicago.

But back to the thread, I hope all 3 "recover", but all 3 have different issues (pre and post pandemic).

Old 02-04-2021, 07:16 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,754,002 times
Chicago's not even close to being the cloudiest and drearist city in the country.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:27 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,118,675 times
I love reading the extremely different perspectives on a pretty objective topic like winters in Chicago lol The beauty of these boards.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:31 AM

11,078 posts, read 12,536,788 times
They are all done tbh

Old 02-04-2021, 07:33 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,913,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
They are all done tbh
They'll all recover, to a point. None of them are done.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 AM

2,570 posts, read 3,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Chicago's not even close to being the cloudiest and drearist city in the country.

It's brutal. The sun came out **once** this summer. Perpetually 25 degrees with rain and snow for 365 days.

One of these days Chicago with get a two foot snowfall. Thankfully that doesn't happen in *other* big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City