Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 07:56 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No Chicago is significantly colder than NYC lol. The temperature + wind chill , etc

*In the Winter.
Look at my links...there is nothing significant. I think enough about weather. People don't move to either of these two cities, for the weather.

Last edited by Enean; 02-04-2021 at 08:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 02:14 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
NYC has been losing to Florida for a long time. But surprisingly Atlanta and North Carolina (Charlotte, Triad, Triangle) are big magnets for NYers. I remember reading about a middle-middle class Westchester County family moving to North Carolina because the COL in NYC was becoming out-of-reach. NYC isn't as much of a draw anymore as Sunbelt cities have been on the ascendency.

The QOL is appalling. It's concerning that coronavirus easily spread in the hovels of Queens. I saw pictures/video of the victim's housing and it's harkens back to the tenement houses that used to be in the city a century ago.

L.A. is the strongest out of the group since California's economy is still a global powerhouse and everything is shifting out of NorCal and into SoCal. This is also considered the westernmost Sunbelt city because of the post-war boom to sunny SoCal. QOL is much better since the housing is mostly post-war single-family homes and modernist luxury apartment blocks are being built in the trendy areas.

Chicago is second because it's the only affordable big city in America. Very good QOL considering COL and very scenic along the picturesque lakefront or the county forest preserves that dot the inland Chicagoland.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:41 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Chicago. NYC and LA have screwed themselves so badly, that it will be mathematically impossible for them to ever be even remotely affordable and (IMO) livable again. Their leaders and most residents (and in Chicago too) live with blinders on that their polices just kill cities and metro areas, rendering them unlivable. That's why these places have had this type of leadership voted in decade after decade and nothing gets better, only worse. The narrative is more important than reality. The past has proven this to be true.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Look at my links...there is nothing significant. I think enough about weather. People don't move to either of these two cities, for the weather.
There is no need to look at links. As someone who has lived on the east coast, Maryland (Baltimore/DC region) and Philly, Chicago has tangibly colder winters. Philly's temps would closely resemble NYC's. You have to factor in the wind-chill and lake effect, which isn't always considered if you're just looking at raw temps.

East Coast winters are much more mild than Chicago winters, and I am going by experience, regardless of what your links show. On the East Coast, you do not have the wind-chill/lake effect like you do in Chicago.

Nobody moves to either NYC or Chicago for weather, but NYC winters are tangibly more mild that Chicago's. Even Chicago boosters who have lived in both will not deny this.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:57 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
NYC has been losing to Florida for a long time. But surprisingly Atlanta and North Carolina (Charlotte, Triad, Triangle) are big magnets for NYers. I remember reading about a middle-middle class Westchester County family moving to North Carolina because the COL in NYC was becoming out-of-reach. NYC isn't as much of a draw anymore as Sunbelt cities have been on the ascendency.

The QOL is appalling. It's concerning that coronavirus easily spread in the hovels of Queens. I saw pictures/video of the victim's housing and it's harkens back to the tenement houses that used to be in the city a century ago.

L.A. is the strongest out of the group since California's economy is still a global powerhouse and everything is shifting out of NorCal and into SoCal. This is also considered the westernmost Sunbelt city because of the post-war boom to sunny SoCal. QOL is much better since the housing is mostly post-war single-family homes and modernist luxury apartment blocks are being built in the trendy areas.

Chicago is second because it's the only affordable big city in America. Very good QOL considering COL and very scenic along the picturesque lakefront or the county forest preserves that dot the inland Chicagoland.
Migration patterns are interesting. In Chicago, there is a strong migration pattern to Arizona. So much so that some of Chicago's iconic foot staples and restaurants have an Arizona location.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:14 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
There is no need to look at links. As someone who has lived on the east coast, Maryland (Baltimore/DC region) and Philly, Chicago has tangibly colder winters. Philly's temps would closely resemble NYC's. You have to factor in the wind-chill and lake effect, which isn't always considered if you're just looking at raw temps.

East Coast winters are much more mild than Chicago winters, and I am going by experience, regardless of what your links show. On the East Coast, you do not have the wind-chill/lake effect like you do in Chicago.

Nobody moves to either NYC or Chicago for weather, but NYC winters are tangibly more mild that Chicago's. Even Chicago boosters who have lived in both will not deny this.
Does Chicago get lake effect snow? I thought it was mostly areas to the east of the lakes that get it. Western Michigan for example and parts of NW Indiana

Old 02-08-2021, 04:25 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
NYC is the worlds primate city. Itll be fine.
That world’s primate city? Quit monkeying around!

Old 02-08-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

Well, then I guess we just throw factual numbers out the window. If we disregard those, anything can be said.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Well, then I guess we just throw factual numbers out the window. If we disregard those, anything can be said.
Chicago at it's coldest is much colder than NYC. Chicago won't get highs this week above the teens with lows near or below zero.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Chicago at it's coldest is much colder than NYC. Chicago won't get highs this week above the teens with lows near or below zero.
Yes, the weather like this is maybe once a season. I posted averages....at most they vary by 9 degree for one month. Averages...they factor in the cold snaps every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.