Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa/Orlando vs Dallas-Ft Worth
Tampa Bay/Orlando area 23 62.16%
Dallas/Ft Worth 14 37.84%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 10:47 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,790 times

Advertisements

I get that these two cities are in different leagues (obviously Dallas/FT Worth is larger), regardless they're both places we're considering relocating to later this year. We are a young family with two young boys (who like to spend time outside). Based on the below criteria, which city would you pick?

COL:

Economy/Job opportunities/growth:

Weather (they're both hot I know)

General safety/crime (we'll probably be living in the suburbs, but city safety as well)

Schools (probably won't matter much since we're homeschooling, but still)

Transportation:

Things to do/family activities:

Food:

Uniqueness:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 11:35 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I get that these two cities are in different leagues (obviously Dallas/FT Worth is larger), regardless they're both places we're considering relocating to later this year. We are a young family with two young boys (who like to spend time outside). Based on the below criteria, which city would you pick?

COL:

Economy/Job opportunities/growth:

Weather (they're both hot I know)

General safety/crime (we'll probably be living in the suburbs, but city safety as well)

Schools (probably won't matter much since we're homeschooling, but still)

Transportation:

Things to do/family activities:

Food:

Uniqueness:
*COL: Orlampa

*Economy/Job opportunities/growth: Dallas/Fort Worth

*Weather (they're both hot I know): IMO, this boils down to personal preference.

Many might prefer Orlampa because it has warmer winters and doesn't really get hail/tornadoes as much. However, ir is prone to hurricanes.

That said, I personally prefer Dallas/Fort Worth because I like tracking/observing Severe Thunderstorms.

*General safety/crime (we'll probably be living in the suburbs, but city safety as well): Tie

*Schools (probably won't matter much since we're homeschooling, but still): Dallas/Fort Worth

*Transportation: Dallas/Fort Worth

*Things to do/family activities: Orlampa

*Food: Dallas/Fort Worth

*Uniqueness: Dallas/Fort Worth

Old 02-02-2021, 09:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Orlando and Tampa are two different metro areas with a bit of a break in between, so you'd be traveling quite a bit more to experience things. DFW is one continuous metro area and would be better logistically. One perk not mentioned is that DFW does experience different seasons even though winters are short. I imagine DFW has more food options as it's a larger and more diverse area and the job market is also much stronger while also offering quite a bit of stuff to do.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:25 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Like stated above, Orlampa isn't a single metro like DFW is. Dallas and FortWorth are only about 35 miles apart. Orlando and Tampa are about 85 miles apart, meaning you will most likely never see the other metro doing your day to day living in one of these places unless you make an explicit intention to break away from daily life to do so.

COL: It's close, Tampa is probably as pricey as DFW, Orlando is more affordable but we're splitting hairs when comparing areas of desirability.

Economy/Job opportunities/growth: DFW

Weather (they're both hot I know): Like citidata18 said, it will come down to personal preference. Orlampa is going to be the hotter of the two and its also more humid. DFW however gets cold snaps during the winter and experiences snow / ice more often than Orlampa. Orlampa gets more rain, DFW gets windy and more weather extremities on a consistent basis, except.. ..it doesn't get Hurricanes... I'm going to call it a tie.

General safety/crime (we'll probably be living in the suburbs, but city safety as well): It vastly depends on where you live / work but I'm also going to call this a tie.

Schools (probably won't matter much since we're homeschooling, but still): DFW

Transportation: In terms of driving? Tie. In terms of public transportation? DFW

Things to do/family activities: Orlampa

Food: DFW

Uniqueness: Hmmm.. ..not sure on this one.. I'm going to go with Orlampa because on one side you get a coastal city and on the other you also get amusement theme parks, time shares and resorts.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Like stated above, Orlampa isn't a single metro like DFW is. Dallas and FortWorth are only about 35 miles apart. Orlando and Tampa are about 85 miles apart, meaning you will most likely never see the other metro doing your day to day living in one of these places unless you make an explicit intention to break away from daily life to do so.

COL: It's close, Tampa is probably as pricey as DFW, Orlando is more affordable but we're splitting hairs when comparing areas of desirability.

Economy/Job opportunities/growth: DFW

Weather (they're both hot I know): Like citidata18 said, it will come down to personal preference. Orlampa is going to be the hotter of the two and its also more humid. DFW however gets cold snaps during the winter and experiences snow / ice more often than Orlampa. Orlampa gets more rain, DFW gets windy and more weather extremities on a consistent basis, except.. ..it doesn't get Hurricanes... I'm going to call it a tie.

General safety/crime (we'll probably be living in the suburbs, but city safety as well): It vastly depends on where you live / work but I'm also going to call this a tie.

Schools (probably won't matter much since we're homeschooling, but still): DFW

Transportation: In terms of driving? Tie. In terms of public transportation? DFW

Things to do/family activities: Orlampa

Food: DFW

Uniqueness: Hmmm.. ..not sure on this one.. I'm going to go with Orlampa because on one side you get a coastal city and on the other you also get amusement theme parks, time shares and resorts.
Orlampa does have much lower property taxes, and housing is more affordable. You can still get a nice size new construction home for less than $400K in desirable parts of Tampa / Orlando. Good luck with that in DFW.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Orlampa does have much lower property taxes, and housing is more affordable. You can still get a nice size new construction home for less than $400K in desirable parts of Tampa / Orlando. Good luck with that in DFW.
That is fine if you can find a high paying job. If you can't then Orlampa is not much better if you don't have much disposable income. Dallworth appears to do better in offering higher paying jobs.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That is fine if you can find a high paying job. If you can't then Orlampa is not much better if you don't have much disposable income. Dallworth appears to do better in offering higher paying jobs.
Very true.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:59 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
For the majority of the Northern Suburbs that’s true but it’s still possible down in Mansfield and Cedar Hill area. And while may not be brand new, it’s still also possible to find nice homes under $400k in Coppell and areas not near the lakes of Lewisville and even eastern Frisco, Prosper or McKinney

Old 02-03-2021, 11:00 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Dallas/Fort Worth. I didn't particularly enjoy living in Orlando. Pass through Dallas multiple times per year. Great city.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:13 AM

313 posts, read 218,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The average person buying a house normally has a professional job of some sort, right? Engineer, nurse, dental hygienist, attorney, accountant, etc. etc. These are jobs that are in demand in pretty much every large metro in the country. None of the above listed professions are having a hard time finding good-paying jobs in Orlando/Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City