Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Baltimore?
Philadelphia 73 37.82%
Wilmington (Delaware) 27 13.99%
Washington, D.C. 19 9.84%
Norfolk 15 7.77%
Richmond 15 7.77%
Pittsburgh 12 6.22%
Boston 3 1.55%
Other 29 15.03%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 12:25 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is a good comparison that I hadn't thought of. There are definitely similarities, but I personally have the same issue that they are completely different scales so they don't seem that similar in light of that. Baltimore is much bigger. I personally think that St. Louis (and possible Louisville or Cincinatti) are the most similar to Baltimore. when you consider size/scale.
(Urban Area)

Baltimore - 2.3 million in 717 sq. mi
St. Louis - 2.2 million in 923 sq. mi
Cincinatti -1.7 million in 787 sq. mi
Louisville - 1 million in 476 sq. mi

On a scale/grandeur perspective, St. Louis is for sure Baltimore's closest match. Cincinnati & Louisville while decent sized cities simply aren't in St. Louis/Baltimore's weight class when it comes "big city feel" so its hard to directly compare them in that regard.

If you put St. Louis, Philly & Norfolk in a blender, Baltimore is what you'd end up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Richmond
Norfolk
Savannah, GA (particularly the Riverfront area)

Baltimore doesn't resemble anything north it really.
True. Baltimore looks like a GIANT Norfolk, VA but with a future. Baltimore has nothing in common with the soft East, I mean North East.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis & Lemuria View Post
True. Baltimore looks like a GIANT Norfolk, VA but with a future. Baltimore has nothing in common with the soft East, I mean North East.
Nice burner account KB.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:34 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis & Lemuria View Post
Except historic ties dating back idk ~300 years, hundreds if not thousands of brownstones that still litter the city, major electrified rail, a subway (a blight ****ty), historic Art Deco skyscraper, a former heavy metal industry, shipping industry, historic train stations etc... etc..

I could go on but you get my point

Mobile Alabama was 10 and Boston was a 1, Baltimore would fall somewhere between a 4-3

Old 02-15-2021, 09:22 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplanted View Post
Ethnic diversity is only one aspect of "urban" which Durham has, Charlotte annexed nearly it's entire home county which is why it has the overall numbers. That's like saying Jacksonville Florida is more diverse and bigger than Miami because they did basically the same thing Charlotte did.

Other aspects of "urban" are:

Higher education: Duke University (Charlotte has nothing to compare)

Fine dining: Durham has won multiple James Beard Awards (Charlotte has never won one)

The arts: DPAC is constantly ranked among the top 5 attended live theater venues in the country

Politics: Politics of "urban" areas are usually considered to be left leaning. Durham County is the bluest county in the state (Mecklenburg is a lighter blue than Durham County and only because of the minority population, were it not for the minority population Mecklenburg would likely be a red county just like every other county in the Charlotte region. Durham County is a darker blue county because they have a higher percentage of white liberals and other liberal minorities than Mecklenburg. Mecklenburg is the lone blue dot in a sea of red counties of the greater metropolitan area. Even so, Mecklenburg only when Democratic in the 2020 election by 30% compared to Durham County going Democratic by a whopping 62%. Charlotte is a much more conservative city than Durham overall in a much more conservative metro than the Triangle.

https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0
https://www.dcovotes.com/public-info...ctions-results
https://www.wxii12.com/article/north...y-map/34934633
https://www.dpacnc.com/news/detail/d...ing-attendance

To wit, Durham is the most "urban" city in NC.

I would go by the actual definition of urbanity instead of this one. How much of the city percentage-wise... is urban? How many places are walkable and dense, and connected to residential/retail/commercial? I live here and I love the place but in terms of urbanity Durham is about the same as the other cities in the state. It's a sprawlfest with a small but vibrant core.

It's the grittiest major city in NC. It has more industrial bones than NC's other cities. People often mistake that for urbanity but it's not the same thing.

I agree with your other points. It's an interesting comparison and one I'd never thought of. Still, I kinda feel like a city with an actual harbor would compare better to Baltimore. I think the physiography of a city matters.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:38 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplanted View Post
Ethnic diversity is only one aspect of "urban" which Durham has, Charlotte annexed nearly it's entire home county which is why it has the overall numbers. That's like saying Jacksonville Florida is more diverse and bigger than Miami because they did basically the same thing Charlotte did.

Other aspects of "urban" are:

Higher education: Duke University (Charlotte has nothing to compare)

Fine dining: Durham has won multiple James Beard Awards (Charlotte has never won one)

The arts: DPAC is constantly ranked among the top 5 attended live theater venues in the country

Politics: Politics of "urban" areas are usually considered to be left leaning. Durham County is the bluest county in the state (Mecklenburg is a lighter blue than Durham County and only because of the minority population, were it not for the minority population Mecklenburg would likely be a red county just like every other county in the Charlotte region. Durham County is a darker blue county because they have a higher percentage of white liberals and other liberal minorities than Mecklenburg. Mecklenburg is the lone blue dot in a sea of red counties of the greater metropolitan area. Even so, Mecklenburg only when Democratic in the 2020 election by 30% compared to Durham County going Democratic by a whopping 62%. Charlotte is a much more conservative city than Durham overall in a much more conservative metro than the Triangle.

https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=ALL&contest=0
https://www.dcovotes.com/public-info...ctions-results
https://www.wxii12.com/article/north...y-map/34934633
https://www.dpacnc.com/news/detail/d...ing-attendance

To wit, Durham is the most "urban" city in NC.
None of that has anything to do with being urban.

Oh you've been banned (THANK GOD). Never mind....

Old 03-15-2021, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 23,877 times
Detroit and New Orleans.

Reason?

White people are the definitive MINORITY.

Not much ever changes.

The Economies don't really ever improve.

Crime rates similar [has nothing to do with race].

Old 03-15-2021, 04:29 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Nice burner account KB.
I just saw that post... LMAO.

That's not me, but it does look like something I'd say. Lol

Old 03-16-2021, 02:09 PM

393 posts, read 261,157 times
Philadelphia is similar. (But DC and Baltimore are very close to merging)

Old 03-16-2021, 04:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Philadelphia is similar. (But DC and Baltimore are very close to merging)
Merging into what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City