U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Baltimore?
Philadelphia 51 39.23%
Wilmington (Delaware) 19 14.62%
Washington, D.C. 9 6.92%
Norfolk 6 4.62%
Richmond 12 9.23%
Pittsburgh 11 8.46%
Boston 3 2.31%
Other 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
8,861 posts, read 7,305,275 times
Reputation: 4426

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're somewhere between taking this way too personally and denying reality.
You're my guy, but this isn't the Coli. You don't have to fish for daps. No I don't take this seriously. If people can't refute what I'm saying then what are we talking about?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2021, 10:18 PM
 
35,032 posts, read 32,428,140 times
Reputation: 22993
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're my guy, but this isn't the Coli. You don't have to fish for daps. No I don't take this seriously. If people can't refute what I'm saying then what are we talking about?
I mean much of what you say is conjecture and other things have been refuted several times in the past in other threads.

If you have to go so hard, and go it alone, with so many other people in an effort to convince that they aren't really seeing what they're seeing, then that kinda says it all. Most of the people aren't saying any of this because they have an agenda or anything like that. I mean I like Baltimore myself and wish it well, but that doesn't negate the fact that its metro becomes more intertwined with DC's as time goes by or that it has a crap ton of Northern characteristics which was very much acknowledged even back in the antebellum period. Baltimore was historically recognized as a city of the South but it was *NEVER* this 100% unqualified deeply Southern city that you make it out to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2021, 10:43 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
8,861 posts, read 7,305,275 times
Reputation: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I mean much of what you say is conjecture and other things have been refuted several times in the past in other threads.

If you have to go so hard, and go it alone, with so many other people in an effort to convince that they aren't really seeing what they're seeing, then that kinda says it all. Most of the people aren't saying any of this because they have an agenda or anything like that. I mean I like Baltimore myself and wish it well, but that doesn't negate the fact that its metro becomes more intertwined with DC's as time goes by or that it has a crap ton of Northern characteristics which was very much acknowledged even back in the antebellum period. Baltimore was historically recognized as a city of the South but it was *NEVER* this 100% unqualified deeply Southern city that you make it out to be.
Alright, so show me the post where I said that Baltimore and DC aren't intertwined. I'm personally not a fan of it but we're a CSA for a reason. I said that we aren't as intertwined as people make us out to be, which is a fact. You're not from Baltimore, so you don't know that. You might think that we all travel to DC everyday for work, or that we travel to DC every weekend to hang out. This whole Baltimore not being southern thing is silly, and me having to go back and forth with you, in particular, is disappointing because I think you're one of the more logical people on this site. Personally, I don't care if everybody disagrees because this particular fact is not opinion-based. It just means that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about. Baltimore is a southern city.. this is a fact. What part of that fact aren't you and everybody else understanding? Help me understand what makes Baltimore no longer a southern city. Help me understand why whatever reason you give can not be true for a southern city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2021, 11:41 PM
 
35,032 posts, read 32,428,140 times
Reputation: 22993
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Alright, so show me the post where I said that Baltimore and DC aren't intertwined. I'm personally not a fan of it but we're a CSA for a reason. I said that we aren't as intertwined as people make us out to be, which is a fact. You're not from Baltimore, so you don't know that. You might think that we all travel to DC everyday for work, or that we travel to DC every weekend to hang out. This whole Baltimore not being southern thing is silly, and me having to go back and forth with you, in particular, is disappointing because I think you're one of the more logical people on this site. Personally, I don't care if everybody disagrees because this particular fact is not opinion-based. It just means that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about. Baltimore is a southern city.. this is a fact. What part of that fact aren't you and everybody else understanding? Help me understand what makes Baltimore no longer a southern city. Help me understand why whatever reason you give can not be true for a southern city.
What's so extremely weird about all of this is that you don't accept the Census Bureau to be all that authoritative when it comes to the statistical reality of DC and Baltimore presently forming one metropolitan area in the form of a CSA and that DC's MSA is slowly pulling Baltimore's into its orbit to the point that DC will either snatch some counties from Baltimore's MSA or they will become a singular MSA due to DC's overall economic prowess in the near future, and the commuting statistics over the past two decades tell us this is where things are clearly headed

BUT AT THE SAME TIME

You hold up the Census to be this golden, authoritative standard above all else when it comes to Baltimore's status as a Southern city, despite the fact that the country's regional designations underwent a few revisions before its current form was settled on but hasn't been touched in a century, and just as there were factors influencing the ways regions were defined, labeled, and carved out 100+ years ago, the same has been true over the past 100 years as well. You also fail to acknowledge Baltimore's questionable Southern status historically.

You allow a bit of nuance when it comes to DC and Baltimore becoming intertwined (and my position on the subject is not what you insinuate) but NONE when it comes to Baltimore's "Southernness." And you always dismiss the opinions of others on the basis of them not being from Baltimore--as if none of us know people from Baltimore that fundamentallly disagree with you on at least one of these points. It's disingenuous on your part to do this and you're not very persuasive either--just combative.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
8,861 posts, read 7,305,275 times
Reputation: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What's so extremely weird about all of this is that you don't accept the Census Bureau to be all that authoritative when it comes to the statistical reality of DC and Baltimore presently forming one metropolitan area in the form of a CSA and that DC's MSA is slowly pulling Baltimore's into its orbit to the point that DC will either snatch some counties from Baltimore's MSA or they will become a singular MSA due to DC's overall economic prowess in the near future, and the commuting statistics over the past two decades tell us this is where things are clearly headed

BUT AT THE SAME TIME

You hold up the Census to be this golden, authoritative standard above all else when it comes to Baltimore's status as a Southern city, despite the fact that the country's regional designations underwent a few revisions before its current form was settled on but hasn't been touched in a century, and just as there were factors influencing the ways regions were defined, labeled, and carved out 100+ years ago, the same has been true over the past 100 years as well. You also fail to acknowledge Baltimore's questionable Southern status historically.

You allow a bit of nuance when it comes to DC and Baltimore becoming intertwined (and my position on the subject is not what you insinuate) but NONE when it comes to Baltimore's "Southernness." And you always dismiss the opinions of others on the basis of them not being from Baltimore--as if none of us know people from Baltimore that fundamentallly disagree with you on at least one of these points. It's disingenuous on your part to do this and you're not very persuasive either--just combative.
The US Office of Management and Budget dictate metropolitan areas, not the Census Bureau. You're right about Baltimore becoming DC's concubine, but fortunately Baltimore's culture will remain intact. Also, until Raleigh and Durham, two cities that physically border each other become a single MSA, Baltimore will be just fine as its own MSA. You're starting to sound like a DC poster. At this point, I'm starting not to care about any of it. If Baltimore wants to bend over and give itself to DC then let it. There are already posters here who don't know where the hell they're from; one minute they're from the Baltimore area, the next minute they're from the DC area. It's trending towards Lakers/Clippers argument at this point.

Did the Census redesignate Maryland as Northeastern state?

Don't be disingenuous by saying that I only say that people don't know because they don't live here. I tell people not to put Baltimore where they THINK it should be (DC's bedwench, a northeastern city, Great Value version if Philly) because they don't live here. How is somebody from somewhere else gonna tell me the culture of the city that I'm from? You gotta do better than this, my G. You're playing the person and not the ball... argue the facts.

Me, unlike posters, don't "bend the knee" to the northeast. Baltimore is in a different part of the country.

Last edited by KodeBlue; Yesterday at 01:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
379 posts, read 162,012 times
Reputation: 467
There isn't some magical portal between the South and Northeast, though. Philadelphia and Baltimore are literally less than 2 hours apart. Naturally, there are going to be some similarities between the two cities.

Even if Baltimore is in the South (although I'd bet that 99% of southerners would most likely say it's not), it's barely in the South. It's nowhere near as "southern" as Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, even Richmond, etc. Also, it's a well known fact that heavy industry wasn't historically common throughout the South, while Baltimore's history was built on industry. Combine this with the fact that Baltimore is close to the Northeast and you begin to realize why very few southerners view Baltimore as a "southern" city, at least not anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM
 
35,032 posts, read 32,428,140 times
Reputation: 22993
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The US Office of Management and Budget dictate metropolitan areas, not the Census Bureau.
The OMB delineates metropolitan areas based on Census data. And it is the data that is displaying the trends I spoke of.

Quote:
You're right about Baltimore becoming DC's concubine, but fortunately Baltimore's culture will remain intact. Also, until Raleigh and Durham, two cities that physically border each other become a single MSA, Baltimore will be just fine as its own MSA. You're starting to sound like a DC poster. At this point, I'm starting not to care about any of it. If Baltimore wants to bend over and give itself to DC then let it. There are already posters here who don't know where the hell they're from; one minute they're from the Baltimore area, the next minute they're from the DC area. It's trending towards Lakers/Clippers argument at this point.
Raleigh and Durham actually were a singular MSA before the 2003 revisions, are still more or less viewed as such, and are expected to recombine sometime in the near future.

Quote:
Did the Census redesignate Maryland as Northeastern state?
For some reason, it hasn't done any redesignations in a century. Even so, you should realize that official sources such as the Census Bureau are meant to reflect reality and not create it. And that isn't the only official source that designates geographical categories. To look at the Census Bureau alone without considering other sources is pretty shortsighted.

Quote:
Don't be disingenuous by saying that I only say that people don't know because they don't live here. I tell people not to put Baltimore where they THINK it should be (DC's bedwench, a northeastern city, Great Value version if Philly) because they don't live here. How is somebody from somewhere else gonna tell me the culture of the city that I'm from? You gotta do better than this, my G. You're playing the person and not the ball... argue the facts.

Me, unlike posters, don't "bend the knee" to the northeast. Baltimore is in a different part of the country.
You're really taking all of this too seriously, as if anything that's been said of the city applies to you personally. "DC's bedwench"????? What the hell???? And I also have no idea why you feel as though Baltimore being reminiscent of a smaller Philadelphia in some key ways is so objectionable when it is very common for smaller cities to resemble a larger city in close proximity. Understandably, some people may exaggerate the similarities between Baltimore and Philadelphia, but that doesn't mean there are absolutely none.

Baltimore isn't an unqualified 100% Southern city; there are Southern undertones present but that's about as far as it goes. And at the end of the day, being Southern largely revolves around self-identification and Baltimore doesn't much self-identify as Southern. As I've stated before, historically (in the antebellum era) to be a city was already to be un-Southern in fundamental ways. Then to be a large industrial city in a border state that did not secede and was a major Great Migration destination, along with other characteristics (large immigrant communities, large Catholic presence, voting patterns, etc) seriously and truly dilutes Baltimore's Southernness in key ways.

The fact that you remain out on this island on your own, both on C-D and in real life really says it all. You're not even willing to bend a little bit on this Southern thing which is just beyond perpelexing. I honestly don't see the logic of trying so hard or what you hope to achieve by dying on this hill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM
 
Location: BMORE!
8,861 posts, read 7,305,275 times
Reputation: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
There isn't some magical portal between the South and Northeast, though. Philadelphia and Baltimore are literally less than 2 hours apart. Naturally, there are going to be some similarities between the two cities.

Even if Baltimore is in the South (although I'd bet that 99% of southerners would most likely say it's not), it's barely in the South. It's nowhere near as "southern" as Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Charlotte, even Richmond, etc. Also, it's a well known fact that heavy industry wasn't historically common throughout the South, while Baltimore's history was built on industry. Combine this with the fact that Baltimore is close to the Northeast and you begin to realize why very few southerners view Baltimore as a "southern" city, at least not anymore.
Just because the south isn't known for heavy industry doesn't mean that it was devoid of it. Also, since why aren't people considering Philly to be southern? It's literally closer to the south than Baltimore is to the North, and part of its MSA and CSA actually in the south.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
 
5,968 posts, read 3,798,425 times
Reputation: 5515
The idea that regions and neighborhoods have "official" boundaries is an odd trait of fan boards like this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
9,296 posts, read 5,238,568 times
Reputation: 22464
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Just because the south isn't known for heavy industry doesn't mean that it was devoid of it. Also, since why aren't people considering Philly to be southern? It's literally closer to the south than Baltimore is to the North, and part of its MSA and CSA actually in the south.
Philadelphia is not in the South, and I know of no one who has ever considered it to be. And Baltimore isn't really in the South either, though there are certainly hints of a Southern influence there. It's in a gray area, though it leans toward the North. Indeed, I would agree with the notion that Baltimore is the southernmost city in the North. Washington, I would consider to be on the boundary, neither North nor South.

In case you're wondering, I've lived in Philadelphia for 10 years and in the suburbs of Baltimore for 27 years. So I'm not an outsider to either of these places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top