Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Baltimore?
Philadelphia 73 37.82%
Wilmington (Delaware) 27 13.99%
Washington, D.C. 19 9.84%
Norfolk 15 7.77%
Richmond 15 7.77%
Pittsburgh 12 6.22%
Boston 3 1.55%
Other 29 15.03%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't see it. The "feel" of the 2 cities is too different. I don't see Baltimore as a smaller version of Philly. The downtowns, people, scale, look and feel are just too different. Even the rowhome styles are very different.
The "feel" of Baltimore to Wilmington neighborhoods is almost identical. Philly-Baltimore (outside of Center City) it may be at best 70-75% alike across the city, but that's still closer than most cities in this nation.

There's some slight mix with Richmond/Norfolk, but it's certainly not greater than the comparisons to Philadelphia. If you've really spent time in those places it's substantially different. For Norfolk it's really just the port. And those cities don't even have a subway/light rail. In fact the points about STL may be better than those two in VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:52 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
What I'd like to know is why do posters highlight the fact that Philly is bigger than Baltimore, but never make that distinction between Baltimore and wilmington. Population wise, Baltimore is by far closer in scale to Philly than it is to Wilmington.

Old 02-05-2021, 10:56 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
As someone from Maryland who has lived in Baltimore and Philly, the 2 cities are not very similar at all. The similarities are completely overblown on this site. There are some stretches (style) of row homes in certain parts of the city that do look similar, but that is about it.

Here is my take on their differences:
-Philadelphia's scale is MUCH bigger than Baltimore's, and it's palpable. When you are in the heart of downtown Philly, you get a canyon feeling, similar to NY and Chicago. That is not the case at all with Baltimore, a city that doesn't even have a single skyscraper that is 600ft or greater. Philly has a 1000 ft skyscraper and several 600+ buildings. The size/scale of the cities are very different.
-The downtowns feel completely different. Baltimore's is centered around the harbor, whereas Philly's is in Center City, which has a much more traditional downtown feel to it. The heart of Center City feels absolutely nothing like the heart of downtown Baltimore.
-Philly feels much more ethnic and international than Baltimore. Philly has a real Chinatown, and South Philly feels much more authentically Italian. The Italian population in Philly is infinitely larger than Baltimore's and its influence is felt throughout the city. Philly also has a sizable Puerto Rican and Vietnamese population (although neither of these populations felt very pervasive to me). But overall, Philly has much more of an old-school ethnic feel than Baltimore.
-There is no equivalent to University City in Baltimore. This area continues to develop and grow in Philly. The closest thing in Baltimore would be the area around University of Maryland at Baltimore, which isn't nearly as lively, developed, or provide the entertainment, dining, living options that UCity does.
-I have only been to Druid Hill park in Baltimore once, and it seemed ok, but nothing like the scale or scenery of Fairmount Park in Philly.
-There is a tiny subway in Baltimore (that many people don't even know about). There is nothing like the the SEPTA in Philly, with the old school rail lines/subway combos akin to what you find in NY, Boston, and Chicago.

Outside of the "look" of a few of the residential areas, Philly and Baltimore are not very similar. Even the predominant row homes in Baltimore look a lot different. They tend to be shorter, flat (no porch), and very colorful. Now there are different styles, but this is the predominant style in Baltimore. You don't really see this style in Philly. They tend to be taller with porches.
These are facts. I completely agree.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:02 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What I'd like to know is why do posters highlight the fact that Philly is bigger than Baltimore, but never make that distinction between Baltimore and wilmington. Population wise, Baltimore is by far closer in scale to Philly than it is to Wilmington.
It's because of Center City, people think there first when they think of Philly. Then there's UC right across the river. Few cities match that feel.

But yes Baltimore is significantly bigger than Wilmington Delaware, in a mid-major league with Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati etc. In the city it's actually bigger than those.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The "feel" of Baltimore to Wilmington neighborhoods is almost identical. Philly-Baltimore (outside of Center City) it may be at best 70-75% alike across the city, but that's still closer than most cities in this nation.

There's some slight mix with Richmond/Norfolk, but it's certainly not greater than the comparisons to Philadelphia. If you've really spent time in those places it's substantially different. For Norfolk it's really just the port. And those cities don't even have a subway/light rail. In fact the points about STL may be better than those two in VA.
Outside rowhomes (which in many cases don't even look similar), how are Baltimore and Philly so similar? I can never get a clear answer to this.

I agree with you that Richmond/Norfolk are not similar to Baltimore either.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:18 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

I think Wilmington could be considered a good comparison. Norfolk, VA does have light rail also though.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Outside rowhomes (which in many cases don't even look similar), how are Baltimore and Philly so similar? I can never get a clear answer to this.

I agree with you that Richmond/Norfolk are not similar to Baltimore either.
They are not similar. You don't see people from Philly or Baltimore saying that they are. Better yet, why would Baltimore want to be similar to Philly in the first place. You in particular, play up the notion that people think that the cities are similar that it fits into your own narrative that Baltimore thinks that it's a Northeastern city. Baltimore is not a Northeastern city, nor is it trying to be. Hell, Baltimore isn't even a mid-atlantic city. It is an old school, urban southern city.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I think Wilmington could be considered a good comparison. Norfolk, VA does have light rail also though.
Norfolk has light rail, and the Waterside area is a lot like the Inner Harbor, IMO. In fact the same design team designed Harborplace and Waterside Market.

Waterside, Norfolk: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/75...3ccf1a3545.jpg
Harborplace, Baltimore: https://www.baltimoresun.com/resizer...AQ4KEM3Y5Y.jpg

Also, Baltimore and Norfolk might be the only two cities where I'll actually order crab cakes. They're trash in pretty much any other city.

I think the biggest difference might be housing stock. Norfolk bulldozed so much of the old city in the 1950s and 60s there are very few of the old rowhouses, houses, and Norfolk-style triple deckers left.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:17 PM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
The segregation, strong accent(s), eds and meds, and the bay/water influenced culture all remind me of Boston.

I voted Philly though

Old 02-05-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Norfolk has light rail, and the Waterside area is a lot like the Inner Harbor, IMO. In fact the same design team designed Harborplace and Waterside Market.

Waterside, Norfolk: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/75...3ccf1a3545.jpg
Harborplace, Baltimore: https://www.baltimoresun.com/resizer...AQ4KEM3Y5Y.jpg

Also, Baltimore and Norfolk might be the only two cities where I'll actually order crab cakes. They're trash in pretty much any other city.

I think the biggest difference might be housing stock. Norfolk bulldozed so much of the old city in the 1950s and 60s there are very few of the old rowhouses, houses, and Norfolk-style triple deckers left.
The Baltimore area based Rouse Company built both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City