U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Baltimore?
Philadelphia 44 40.00%
Wilmington (Delaware) 15 13.64%
Washington, D.C. 8 7.27%
Norfolk 6 5.45%
Richmond 10 9.09%
Pittsburgh 11 10.00%
Boston 2 1.82%
Other 14 12.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 08:32 AM

5,758 posts, read 2,749,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Any more claims that Baltimore is a southern city ought to be posted in the forum where they belong - Paranormal.
So how do you explain the US Census classifying Baltimore as Southern? Should the Census and all of its statistics we use also be discussed in the Paranormal thread?

Saying that Baltmore is a Southern City is not the same as saying it has Southern characteristics. Nobody would confuse Baltimore with Birmingham, but Baltimore is classified as a Southern City by the US Census. Don't know what's paranormal about that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 09:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,144,196 times
Louisville should also have been considered in this poll. Like Maryland, Kentucky was also one of those slave/segregationist states that didn't officially secede, but also had divided loyalties. Similar Catholic/Methodist/Baptist mix, and Louisville has a decent Jewish minority as well. The skyline sizes are very similar, and Baltimore could of had a downtown freeway along the waterfront like Louisville does. Louisville's climate is very similar to Baltimore's as well. It may have its primary built form being closer to New Orleans in the form of shotgun houses than Baltimore, but its another city that's pretty under the radar compared to more popular cities (especially Nashville). Fort Meade and Fort Knox are similar nearby Army bases in terms of overall importance. Louisville isn't as big as Baltimore, but had a decent industrial component to its economy, which still persists today in the form of Ford plants and GE appliances, I still feel that Baltimore/Maryland is less southern overall than Louisville/Kentucky. But not by all that much quite frankly, as Baltimore's demographics more closely resemble Louisville's than Philadelphia's. And of course, Baltimore and Louisville have another thing in common: Triple Crown Thoroughbred horse races. "Maryland, My Maryland" is still sung at the Preakness (Though not the first and last verses which contain the most pro-Southern lyrics). Yet Louisville is literally right across the river from the North (Indiana). 25 miles separate Baltimore's northern limits from Pennsylvania.

To conclude, if you meshed Wilmington, St. Louis, Louisville, Richmond, and Hampton Roads together, you get Baltimore.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 02-06-2021 at 10:22 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 01:19 PM

8,745 posts, read 7,231,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
So how do you explain the US Census classifying Baltimore as Southern? Should the Census and all of its statistics we use also be discussed in the Paranormal thread?

Saying that Baltmore is a Southern City is not the same as saying it has Southern characteristics. Nobody would confuse Baltimore with Birmingham, but Baltimore is classified as a Southern City by the US Census. Don't know what's paranormal about that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States
Any and every characteristic that Baltimore has is southern no matter what it is. Southern cities are not monolithical.

Old 02-06-2021, 02:45 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,111,446 times
Quote:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

I don't know who in the census bureau designated those regional lines,
or when (presumably a long long time ago), or who had their ears.
But it's safe to say the decision would've been made at bureau HQ in DC.
And had they grouped MD & DC with their northeastern neighbors,
that would've meant splitting the DC metro area in two, because
the VA suburbs would've remained in the southern region.
Probably those decision-makers didn't want to divide their own
metro area. Absent more info, that's a hypothesis.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:14 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,558,627 times
Quote:
Both have very large and prominent African American populations and also historic Jewish populations and influence.
This isn't unique to Baltimore or St. Louis. What large American city, esp those either close to or north of the Mason-Dixon line, doesn't have these? There are far fewer that don't than there are that do.

Quote:
Both have a light rail system.
Again, this is no longer a unique attribute although, sadly here in America, it is not common enough. Happily, though, the list of rapid transit-less cities is slowly shrinking.

Quote:
Wash U and Hopkins are somewhat comparable (although Wash U is in a nice part of the city).
While Hopkins Hospital is in somewhat shaky East Baltimore, JHU's main (Homewood) undergrad/grad campus is in trendy/happening Charles Village and is surrounded, to the north, but the Guilford and Rowland Park neighborhoods, which are the most exclusive in Baltimore.

Quote:
Philly is so much larger and more grand (in terms of its size and scale) that it's not very comparable to Baltimore. I don't think that Baltimore and Philly have nothing in common, but outside the rowhomes, which even look different, I just don't see much similarities. In Baltimore, the predominant rowhome style is short, flat (with no porch), and colorful. In Philly, it's taller, has a porch, and is not super colorful.
I think you mean "[you] don't think Baltimore and Philly have "anything" in common ... and [you] don't see "many" similarities." ... outside rowhouses. But considering both are THE 2 cities in America whose primary fee simple residential RE is the row house, I'd say that's a fairly serious attribute to simply overlook. D.C. is pretty close to being in this group, also, but once you leave the older core DC neighborhoods, rowhouses tend to give way to typical American-type detached homes. And while both Philly and Baltimore have certain rowhouse architectural flourishes in certain neighborhoods, the bread 'n butter average flat-face rowhouse is pretty darn similar.

Quote:
It's really because of the size/scale that I find St. Louis more comparable.
OK, but I don't recall size to be a major or controlling factor of the OP.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:51 PM

371 posts, read 105,839 times
Of all the cities, Baltimore is most like St. Louis IMO.

Demographics are very similar. The only thing different largely is St. Louis does not have a presence of rowhomes.

But overall the two cities are nearly identical.

Old 02-06-2021, 03:58 PM

1,514 posts, read 640,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Any and every characteristic that Baltimore has is southern no matter what it is. Southern cities are not monolithical.
Hard no

What your making is very absolute claim, especially when numerous people who are native to the area/city don’t feel the same (myself included).. Yes it has a good deal of cultural charm of southern cities (accent being a major one) but that’s where the similarities end. Baltimore’s urban look, pace, history and feel falls substantially more in line with its more northernly counterparts.

No one in 2021 driving up from Charlotte, ATL or he’ll even Richmond; arrives at Baltimore saying “I feel like I’m in the south”

Old 02-06-2021, 04:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,249,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Of all the cities, Baltimore is most like St. Louis IMO.

Demographics are very similar. The only thing different largely is St. Louis does not have a presence of rowhomes.

But overall the two cities are nearly identical.
St. Louis has plenty of rowhouses, but obviously not on the scale of Baltimore. For a non-East Coast city, St. Louis probably has more rowhouses per capita than any major city west of PA.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:20 PM

5,758 posts, read 2,749,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis has plenty of rowhouses, but obviously not on the scale of Baltimore. For a non-East Coast city, St. Louis probably has more rowhouses per capita than any major city west of PA.
This is a good point, and another reason I would say St. Louis is the most similar city to Baltimore.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:32 PM

7,425 posts, read 3,011,084 times
Like several other posters, I would also say St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City