Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:36 PM

914 posts, read 561,339 times

Advertisements

Boston's not going to host the Olympics, most residents of the city proper and the metro having largely judged the IOC to more or less be a (somewhat) high-tone extortion syndicate that takes more than it gives, as it were. Boston doesn't need an Olympics to be a reason for major infrastructure improvements, but after the Big Dig, absent unlikely federal aid, those improvements are unlikely to happen without major tax increases that the people of MA have shown themselves unwilling to pay. Winning the Olympics would not have changed that, only made the failures more acute. Folks know that and were generally relieved to have avoided that unnecessary disaster.

Lake Placid is a lovely place (the 1932 games were awarded just BEFORE the 1929 Crash, and for games at that time they needed to be sited with easy rail access to the USA's major Atlantic port since so many non-American competitors would be coming via transatlantic ships), and the Olympic infrastructure made it a 3-season destination at least (black fly season not so much). But I can't see the IOC going back there, when there's been so much development of destinations in the western USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Do you ski?

Just look at all the deepest snow packs. They are all in WA state most seasons. Crystal mountain, Mount Baker, and Steven’s pass. The snow has a higher water content due to proximity to the pacific . But so do most of the resorts near Vancouver. The snow is not as dry as the interior. That is why they call it cascade concrete. Extremely heavy and wet snow.

Most of the resorts near Boston have less than 50 inches of snow on the ground with very short seasons. That is a huge problem with most east coast resorts. In fact going forward that is going to be a big problem. Short terrain. Lack of snow coverage and short seasons with lots of ice and relatively little snow. (Compared to western counterparts)

Right now Mount Baker has 200+ inches on the ground. In terms of reliability consistent snowfalls you can’t beat the Cascades.

Pretty much every season the top ten deepest snow packs are in WA/BC/AK. Pretty much every season the list below is the same.

11 Deepest Snowpacks in North America Right Now
#1 – Summit at Snoqualmie Alpental, WA – 200″
#2 – Mount Baker, WA – 186″
#3 – Mount Seymour, BC – 178″
#5 – Cypress Mountain, BC – 161″
#6 – Grouse Mountain Resort, BC – 153″
#7 – Homewood, CA – 148″
#8 – Stevens Pass, WA – 147″
#9 – Timberline, OR – 142″

I’d also like to see some smaller cities like Boise and Anchorage make that list as a possible location in the future. They would really benefit.
I don't ski.

The Whistler Olympics had a real problem with lack of snow.

And that Cascade concrete point we seem to agree on. It's a real disincentive for an Olympics.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:34 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I don't ski.

The Whistler Olympics had a real problem with lack of snow.

And that Cascade concrete point we seem to agree on. It's a real disincentive for an Olympics.
It wasn’t Whistler that was the problem. It was cypress mountain. That was a highly unusual snow year in British Columbia. Snow in BC and the Cascades is a consistent as you will ever get.

Whistler is probably one the most consistent ski resort in North America for deep snow.

Even SLC had snow problems at one point. It happens.

Last edited by Thealpinist; 02-21-2021 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-21-2021, 03:00 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post

I’d also like to see some smaller cities like Boise and Anchorage make that list as a possible location in the future. They would really benefit.

I think Boise would be great. And Spokane.

I already listed Anchorage, Flagstaff, and Reno-Lake Tahoe above.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:34 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston would have been a good 2026/2030 olympic host pairing up with NH like originally planned.

But the city has way two many damn NIMBYs. A world class city held back by some reverse thinkers.
Boston doesn't seem wintry enough/frozen enough to me. More and more mild days during the winter too. It'd be much much better as a Summer Olympic city but even then, in general, no one in Boston wanted that (me included) It's not a city suitable for hosting the Olympics. The mayor nearly got laughed out of the city by anyone who was named John Fish. The next mayor, whoever that may be, would never bid out for it.

Anchorage might be a cool spot for it.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Good luck getting international tourists (let alone Americans) to go to Anchorage in the winter.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Good luck getting international tourists (let alone Americans) to go to Anchorage in the winter.
Seems like it would be a really cool way to see America for the first time.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Winters supposed to be cold right? Idk I wouldn’t think that would be a disqualifying factor..

Old 02-22-2021, 09:34 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
anc isnt even all that cold in the winter. the killer would be the sun setting at 3pm and rising at 9am.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:27 AM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think Boise would be great. And Spokane.

I already listed Anchorage, Flagstaff, and Reno-Lake Tahoe above.
Yup Boise, Spokane, Reno-lake Tahoe would be a good bet. I’m also a big fan of anchorage as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City