Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
There's no right or wrong to if Md is the south or not.

I don't know why some of you are trying to disprove another.ones logic.

MD is south to me but may be.north to another.
Kinda how I feel. I’ve always seen MD as a northern state, but at the end of the day, I don’t particularly feel it matters all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 06:22 PM

626 posts, read 464,125 times
Who cares if Maryland is in the south or not. Quit ruining a good thread.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:23 PM

724 posts, read 403,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Kinda how I feel. I’ve always seen MD as a northern state, but at the end of the day, I don’t particularly feel it matters all that much.
Yeah, anytime MD is in a thread, it’s 100% guaranteed that the question of whether or not it is Southern will be brought up, LOL

Old 03-01-2021, 06:53 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,086,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yep, I actually went up to training camp one year the second round of Joe Gibbs tenure in the 2000's. Admittedly didn't see much of the main town, just went to the practice facility.
Nice. My Uncle and Aunt used to go up often in the 80's. One summer my Uncle got Charles Mann to sign a program for me.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
As a Great Lakes Midwesterner who has also lived in Philly, I must admit, I always thought of Maryland as being in the South. Although I am more familiar with the state now, especially the DC area. I have a close friend that lives there. DC (and MD too), do not feel like the traditional northeast to me. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it just looks and feels different than places in the northeastern I've been to. But....it definitely does not look/feel like what I think about when I think of the south. It's certainly a unique state. When UMD joined the Big Ten, there were jokes that you know college football tradition has been blown up when a "southern" state is now in the Big Ten lol (that was tongue and cheek though).

Its most likely because, Marylands, built environment/zoning laws are operated at the county level which is a common factor of southern states.

The northeast states in this poll have numerous local governments with strict NIMBY type of mentalities which maintain the sprawling and more varied development patterns, whereas Maryland has a much lower NIMBY attitude because it is controlled on a much larger scale on the county level (for better or worse) and this is a common trait of southern states. Therefore much of it is built with a blanket style of all at once development. You do not see that in the Northeast as much.

I think it is why it makes the Northeast more unique because it has more varied development, blending historic developments over time, rather than run of the mill auto centric communities.

Maryland also does have very strong southern influences on its Eastern shore and in Southern Maryland (Charles, Calvert and St. Marys Counties) where a southern accent is prevalent.

I call Maryland and Delaware (Mid Atlantic). Not the true south, nor the true north, but a blend of both.

Virginia to me is the true south, historically (Richmond was the capital of the confederacy) and once you leave the NOVA bubble it turns southern fast.

Maryland and Delaware are more of a mix; (Once you get to Dover and parts South Delaware feels southern) similar to southern Ohio and parts of Missouri. Blender states where the North meets the South.

But I do not know how this thread has turned into whether Maryland is the south or not, rather than a comparison of all the states in the poll?? I have already put in my list and ratings and discussed them.

1) Pennsylvania

2) New York

3) Massachusetts

4) New Jersey

5) Connecticut

6) Maryland

7) Florida

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-01-2021 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-01-2021, 07:12 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Who cares if Maryland is in the south or not. Quit ruining a good thread.
!!!

Old 03-01-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Basically and to be honest, I don't think people consider such places when they think of both areas. Both have many communities that look like these, if not even nicer.

Some others that come to mind are, Skaneateles NY: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9456...7i16384!8i8192

Hummelstown PA: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2653...7i16384!8i8192

Clinton NY: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0482...7i16384!8i8192

Wellsboro PA: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7492...7i13312!8i6656

Cazenovia NY: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9298...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Carlisle PA: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2017...7i16384!8i8192

I agree with you. I think it has a great deal to do with that, many of these very quaint and historic towns in Pennsylvania are not necessarily tourist attractions, so very few outsiders are aware how many exists across the entire state.

Whereas in New England, many of the small towns are built around tourism, and therefore you find more awareness, when in actuality, both the New England and Pennsylvania/New York towns are the same on nearly every level.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania could hold its own to Worcester, Massachusetts & Burlington, Vermont any day of the week for history, charm, character and vibrancy.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I agree with you. I think it has a great deal to do with that, many of these very quaint and historic towns in Pennsylvania are not necessarily tourist attractions, so very few outsiders are aware how many exists across the entire state.

Whereas in New England, many of the small towns are built around tourism, and therefore you find more awareness, when in actuality, both the New England and Pennsylvania/New York towns are the same on nearly every level.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania could hold its own to Worcester, Massachusetts & Burlington, Vermont any day of the week for history, charm, character and vibrancy.
You have the tourist view of New England. Big chunks of New England are quite downtrodden but tourists don’t go there. Who wants to see heroin zombies shuffling around?

I used to live in Burlington. My mom is Pennsylvania Dutch. It’s laughable to compare them. Burlington is a lilly white college town with the med school, teaching hospital, and some tech like the former IBM chip plant that is the dominant non-education/healthcare employer. It’s typical college town demographics. Only 3% under age 5. 11% under age 18. 82% white-alone compared to 40% in Lancaster. Burlington’s next most common demographic is the Asian / Indian you’d expect in colleges, hospitals, and a chip fab plant.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Worcester and Burlington compared. I can’t think of two places in New England more different. Worcester has some colleges, the med school, and teaching hospital but most of the city is decaying mill worker housing. It’s the only non-failed city beyond Boston in the state other than Lowell that got a huge pile of Federal money in the Tsongas era to clean it up.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:30 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Worcester and Burlington is indeed an odd pairing.

How many small towns (not islands) in New England are really built around tourism? 25?

Salem
Lee
Stockbridge
Lenox
Great Barrington
Mystic
Old Lyme
Newport
Old Saybrook
Kennebunkport
Portland
Porstmouth
Portsmouth
Provincetown
Falmouth
Truro
Harwich

thats all I can think of.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You have the tourist view of New England. Big chunks of New England are quite downtrodden but tourists don’t go there. Who wants to see heroin zombies shuffling around?

I used to live in Burlington. My mom is Pennsylvania Dutch. It’s laughable to compare them. Burlington is a lilly white college town with the med school, teaching hospital, and some tech like the former IBM chip plant that is the dominant non-education/healthcare employer. It’s typical college town demographics. Only 3% under age 5. 11% under age 18. 82% white-alone compared to 40% in Lancaster. Burlington’s next most common demographic is the Asian / Indian you’d expect in colleges, hospitals, and a chip fab plant.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Worcester and Burlington compared. I can’t think of two places in New England more different. Worcester has some colleges, the med school, and teaching hospital but most of the city is decaying mill worker housing. It’s the only non-failed city beyond Boston in the state other than Lowell that got a huge pile of Federal money in the Tsongas era to clean it up.

Lancaster is home to a sizable "liberal ivy" - Franklin & Marshall and a large and renowned state university. Millersville. Combined they have about 20,000 students.

Medicine is also a predominate economic industry of Lancaster with Penn Medicine having an outpost there.

You also have music production as a growing and influential industry with Tait studios (where the likes from U2 to Lady Gaga use for their world tour concerts) just 20 minutes from Lancaster city in Litiz, Pennsylvania.

My guess is you have not been to Lancaster in quite a few years. The last friend I took to Lancaster, who has a vacation home in upstate NY close to Burlington, said Lancaster was actually a more vibrant and nicer version of Burlington and were thoroughly impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City