Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agree. Florida just outpaced MA for AP test scores, ranking second in the nation to only Connecticut. That’s huge.

The massive increase in FL population, old and young, is completely changing the state for the better.
I graduated from a FL high school, not too long ago (less than 10 years ago). I took, and passed, 9 AP classes. I was not better prepared for college in NY than my NY, MA counterparts.

Thats one of maybe, 100 education rating indicators.. and its not a very good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 07:20 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Florida has lower taxes and cost of living, the other states [except PA] are too expensive for me.
This will depend on where you go in the other states, as parts can be quite affordable overall.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Agree. Florida just outpaced MA for AP test scores, ranking second in the nation to only Connecticut. That’s huge.

The massive increase in FL population, old and young, is completely changing the state for the better.

Eh some of these list are nothing but click bait. I really prefer to see the nitty gritty numbers.

The link above with the rankings placed New Hampshire as the number one state in the USA for economic opportunity???

WHAT? There are almost no large corporations or significant economic centers in New Hampshire. I love New Hampshire, but if I am an educated, skilled and young job seeker, there is not much job opportunities there. At all.

It makes me question the lists.

Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Jersey have always been known for having a very strong education system. Mass and NJ probably running ahead more than Pennsylvania, but I would rank Florida's schools dead last. Im pretty sure the average salary of a teacher in Florida is definitely the lowest on the list of states above as well.

Wallethub is the worst of them all. Its nothing but clickbait to make ad money. Some of these sites actually make money every time you click their link. (Not sure if people know that).

Old 03-03-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh some of these list are nothing but click bait. I really prefer to see the nitty gritty numbers.

The link above with the rankings placed New Hampshire as the number one state in the USA for economic opportunity???

WHAT? There are almost no large corporations or significant economic centers in New Hampshire. I love New Hampshire, but if I am an educated, skilled and young job seeker, there is not much job opportunities there. At all.

It makes me question the lists.

Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and New Jersey have always been known for having a very strong education system. Mass and NJ probably running ahead more than Pennsylvania, but I would rank Florida's schools dead last. Im pretty sure the average salary of a teacher in Florida is definitely the lowest on the list of states above as well.

Wallethub is the worst of them all. Its nothing but clickbait to make ad money. Some of these sites actually make money every time you click their link. (Not sure if people know that).
You'd be surprised by NH. Economic factors like Taxes and COL are taken very heavily in the rankings too.

NH is half the cost than if you jump the border to MA, with lower taxes (bar Property, but there's tons of exclusions) still within commutable range of Boston. Southern NH has access to Motorcoach Buses than leave every 30 minutes from Portsmouth, Dover, Essex, Nashua, Salem, Manchester... That stop in North Station, South Station, Back Bay and/or Logan. Also, access to Lowell and Haverhill job markets. My uncle lives in Salem and works for a multi-million corporation in Lowell. It's ideal. He hated living in Andover MA..

You get Boston, but you get Boston at half the cost in NH. It's not diverse at all (that's changing) but there's a growing scene of businesses moving there. Tons of access to job markets and although it might be 40 minutes to Boston... Braintree MA (10 Miles out) can be over an hour by T. So food for thought.

Too boost, NH has the lowest poverty/food insecurity rate, high wages, low taxes and business growth. It's a good combination for high economic opportunity marks. Basically it's a stable, yet growing state with low poverty and high wages at a fraction of a cost to neighboring states.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:09 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You'd be surprised by NH. Economic factors like Taxes and COL are taken very heavily in the rankings too.

NH is half the cost than if you jump the border to MA, with lower taxes (bar Property, but there's tons of exclusions) still within commutable range of Boston. Southern NH has access to Motorcoach Buses than leave every 30 minutes from Portsmouth, Dover, Essex, Nashua, Salem, Manchester... That stop in North Station, South Station, Back Bay and/or Logan. Also, access to Lowell and Haverhill job markets. My uncle lives in Salem and works for a multi-million corporation in Lowell. It's ideal. He hated living in Andover MA..

You get Boston, but you get Boston at half the cost in NH. It's not diverse at all (that's changing) but there's a growing scene of businesses moving there. Tons of access to job markets and although it might be 40 minutes to Boston... Braintree MA (10 Miles out) can be over an hour by T. So food for thought.

Too boost, NH has the lowest poverty/food insecurity rate, high wages, low taxes and business growth. It's a good combination for high economic opportunity marks.

I do not dislike NH, but from a job perspective within the state itself, there is no way it is number one in the nation for job opportunities.

This is ranking NH not Boston which is in MA. Again, I do not dislike NH, it is a very lovely state, but it is also small with a small amount of large companies and its economic growth is not very large either. Most of it is very rural.

I only pointed out NH, to say that many of these "rankings" are nothing but click bait bluff from many different websites.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I do not dislike NH, but from a job perspective within the state itself, there is no way it is number one in the nation for job opportunities.

This is ranking NH not Boston which is in MA. Again, I do not dislike NH, it is a very lovely state, but it is also small with a small amount of large companies and its economic growth is not very large either. Most of it is very rural.

I only pointed out NH, to say that many of these "rankings" are nothing but click bait bluff from many different websites.
The ranking also includes jobs people in Nh Have. Which 10-20% of it's workforce, work in MA. Job opportunities for people in NH, can be in MA... or increasingly even ME.

NH Is definitely top 5... But #1 idk

Old 03-03-2021, 09:07 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

No one I've ever known who moved to Florida from elsewhere has spoken highly of the schools. Not even people from Florida speak highly of the schools. In fact, it's one of the first things people trash. And I'm a big FL fan.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
NH is trash. Just terrible. Dryest snootiest coldest (racist) people.

It's everything I dislike about MA with none of the positives. It's the ultimate hanger-on/piggybacker. Going there gives me pure dread.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

It's everything I dislike about MA with none of the positives. It's the ultimate hanger-on/piggybacker. Going there gives me pure dread.
Yeah the nh ma relationship isn't very good. Exactly how nh people feel about ma

Old 03-03-2021, 09:21 AM

14,009 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

It is pretty though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City