Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 02:06 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Meaning Dominican family ties/migration patterns. Probably more recent NYC-Lawrence "direct flights" than NYC-Boston-Lawrence, etc. piece migration. I'm not familiar with Lawrence, but I've been given that impression as well. Seems like a whole different world from Boston, up there.
Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Lawrence, but I do know they have a connection to NYC. Not sure how that connection compares to Boston Providence or Hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 06:48 PM

3,577 posts, read 3,080,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Lawrence and Wbury are still safer than Rochester by quite a bit even though they are far more blighted.

Those pics btown posted really don't look bad. Those look like the nice parts of Lawrence or Waterbury.

Buffalo, on the other hand, is way more run down and blighted than anyplace I've seen in NE, unless you cherry pick tiny neighborhoods. Even albany is much more run down than rochester despite being much safer.

Maybe it is the lack of the same scale industrial past that makes Rochester look nicer? Rotting mill buildings in lawrence, waterbury, bridgeport bring down the entire environment, were big sources of pollution and good places to go and shoot up inside of.
I haven't seen much of Mass beyond Boston and the immediate area, so I can't judge how the smaller cities there compare with Buffalo and Rochester.

Some of my in-laws lived in Boston but had relocated to Texas several years ago, and were considering moving back to Boston but felt priced out. We told them they should consider Buffalo instead, but they were under the assumption, and had the expectation, that Buffalo was similar to those cities referenced in Mass, but just bigger, and didn't even want to consider it. We finally convinced them to visit Buffalo, and when they came they were shocked - in a good way. It totally blew them away - the neighborhoods, the geography, the people, the activities, the schools, the costs, etc - so much that they sold their house in Texas and moved their whole family to Buffalo a couple months ago. They said it was nothing like the small rundown Mass cities they saw. They have taken to calling much of Buffalo "Busy Town" because there are so many activities and people out and about.

Yes there are run down areas of Buffalo, but most of the city is hopping right now, more than anytime in the last 20-25 years. Geographically, some of the run down neighborhoods may cover large areas, but are not representative of the city as a whole. The good neighborhoods are not tiny, but cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the city (with industrial or abandoned industrial much of the remainder along with run down areas).

If all you depend on is street view, I don't think that street view does a good job at all capturing Buffalo very well. Many of the images are now 3 to 10+ years old, missing some of the changes that have occurred in both the recovery of older areas and new construction, and in my opinion don't capture well the scale of the neighborhood architecture. If someone hasn't visited in the last 2-3 years, especially in the last 5-10 years, it may even look and feel like a different city to you.

Images of Buffalo Neighborhoods

Old 03-04-2021, 07:19 PM

506 posts, read 477,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I haven't seen much of Mass beyond Boston and the immediate area, so I can't judge how the smaller cities there compare with Buffalo and Rochester.

Some of my in-laws lived in Boston but had relocated to Texas several years ago, and were considering moving back to Boston but felt priced out. We told them they should consider Buffalo instead, but they were under the assumption, and had the expectation, that Buffalo was similar to those cities referenced in Mass, but just bigger, and didn't even want to consider it. We finally convinced them to visit Buffalo, and when they came they were shocked - in a good way. It totally blew them away - the neighborhoods, the geography, the people, the activities, the schools, the costs, etc - so much that they sold their house in Texas and moved their whole family to Buffalo a couple months ago. They said it was nothing like the small rundown Mass cities they saw. They have taken to calling much of Buffalo "Busy Town" because there are so many activities and people out and about.

Yes there are run down areas of Buffalo, but most of the city is hopping right now, more than anytime in the last 20-25 years. Geographically, some of the run down neighborhoods may cover large areas, but are not representative of the city as a whole. The good neighborhoods are not tiny, but cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the city (with industrial or abandoned industrial much of the remainder along with run down areas).

If all you depend on is street view, I don't think that street view does a good job at all capturing Buffalo very well. Many of the images are now 3 to 10+ years old, missing some of the changes that have occurred in both the recovery of older areas and new construction, and in my opinion don't capture well the scale of the neighborhood architecture. If someone hasn't visited in the last 2-3 years, especially in the last 5-10 years, it may even look and feel like a different city to you.

There are some nice pictures in that link. The Delaware District looks nice. Now I have to visit Buffalo.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Here are a couple of threads that illustrate changes that have occurred in Buffalo and Syracuse since 2007: https://www.city-data.com/forum/buff...uffalos-3.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/syra...on-thread.html

Old 03-04-2021, 07:59 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post

these small rundown cities in Mass are depressing. NO ONE middle class would ever consider them to live for 5+ years unless they were raised there or in a similar New England city. Anything to the contrary is a half-truth more or less.

These are the top 1-2 videos when you search any of these cities. Aside from videos like this, there isn't much that isnt history. There a more older (elderly) suburban vibe in parts of MA cities because the boundaries are bigger than CT or RI cities.

Worcester.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXSuFdIOVOQ

Lawrence
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdq3F1w8aRI&t

New Bedford
www.youtube.com/watch?v=00cMK97My0U&t

Fall River:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FL_wVKi5Qw

Lynn:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZDQmK5xC8

Springfield:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezAH8VCRlAM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWza-cczy-0

Old 03-05-2021, 06:36 AM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
^There has to be more to these cities in MA. This may be a matter of how people from the biggest city in the state views the other cities. NY can be like this.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:38 AM

2,369 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
these small rundown cities in Mass are depressing. NO ONE middle class would ever consider them to live for 5+ years unless they were raised there or in a similar New England city. Anything to the contrary is a half-truth more or less.

These are the top 1-2 videos when you search any of these cities. Aside from videos like this, there isn't much that isnt history. There a more older (elderly) suburban vibe in parts of MA cities because the boundaries are bigger than CT or RI cities.

Worcester.

Lawrence

New Bedford

Fall River:

Lynn:

Springfield:
The lynn one is insane. That channel has so many videos on it.Some of them like full multi hour video productions and none of them are in the same realm of views as that 4 minute police interaction.

Must have brought a lot of attention to their channel even on the other videos. I wonder if yt demonitized it

Old 03-05-2021, 07:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Lynn and Worcester are seeing a mega explosion of investors and FTBs.

Glad Lynn and Worcester are treading in the right direction fast, I expect Fall River to go that way soon with the CR and general affordability of the South Coast.

Poor Lawrence and Brockton.. always missing the train

Old 03-05-2021, 07:47 AM

23,573 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Lynn and Worcester are seeing a mega explosion of investors and FTBs.

Glad Lynn and Worcester are treading in the right direction fast, I expect Fall River to go that way soon with the CR and general affordability of the South Coast.

Poor Lawrence and Brockton.. always missing the train
If only Lawrence and Brockton could also get a train to solve all their problems. Oh wait...

Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 AM

128 posts, read 57,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Worcester.

Lawrence

New Bedford

Fall River:

Lynn:

Springfield:
No but for every Worcester you have a Boylston every New bedfor you have a Dartmouth, Fall River - Westport, Lynn - Swampscott, Springfield- Longmeadow. And plenty of other suburbs for each
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City