Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 08:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hard to say. I would only call a few, very few, cities in the Northeast declining.

If any in FL.
There are absolutely cities and towns in NC that are dying. Northeastern NC alone could produce a list. I can’t imagine that is a NC-only phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 02:34 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Agreed. Very true.

2. Yes. People just dont move there because they got rich in MA and suddenly want space and live free or die.

3. It woul be a good question to ask.

4. Agreed. Its not a utopia. Its a solid state with a good future and a great quality of life.
Black Granite Staters call for more inclusive New Hampshire

Number 3 was in response to Mr. Dee saying this:

3. For some of them, was the reason they left because of the increase in brown people? Maybe for some, but I have never heard that as a reason.

"Lisa Carter-Knight (a black woman) moved from New York City to Newburyport, Mass., 20 years ago to work for a company that designed a clothing label for Victoria’s Secret. Soon after, she decided to settle down and raise a family in New Hampshire, where she now runs her firm, Drinkwater Marketing, in Exeter.

Just over the border, Carter-Knight didn’t think of the move beyond the logistics.

But, “I started to see a huge difference between people in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, like whoa, that’s a huge difference,” says Carter-Knight, who soon realized there were many white Granite Staters unfamiliar with people of other backgrounds."

It's a thing. A night and day thing. You just have the privilege of not noticing it because you're not black or latino.

By looking at outmigration trends from MA to NH and the demography of NH and having been there many times. And based of their attitude on the NH forum id say beyond a shadow of a doubt some people move to New Hampshire looking for some sort of racial "peace" or dare I say "nirvana"

Whenever I visit NH there's a very strong sense that I am very much unwanted which is much less even in very white parts of MA (like Newburyport) and nonexistent in others.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
And sorry to pile on NH, but if safety is an argument for moving there, it's not that much different from Massachusetts (but still below the national average).

Here are the murder rates of the New England states:

Maine: 1.5/100,000
Vermont: 1.8/100,000
Massachusetts: 2.2/100,000
New Hampshire: 2.4/100,000
Rhode Island: 2.4/100,000
Connecticut: 2.9/100,000

Mid-atlantic/Other Northeastern States

New Jersey: 2.9/100,000
New York: 2.9/100,000
Delaware: 4.9/100,000
Pennsylvania: 5.2/100,000
Maryland: 9.0/100,000

Florida: 5.2/100,000

US average: 5.0/100,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

(Info adapted from this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...rate-than.html)

Old 03-08-2021, 05:15 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
And sorry to pile on NH, but if safety is an argument for moving there, it's not that much different from Massachusetts (but still below the national average).

Here are the murder rates of the New England states:

Maine: 1.5/100,000
Vermont: 1.8/100,000
Massachusetts: 2.2/100,000
New Hampshire: 2.4/100,000
Rhode Island: 2.4/100,000
Connecticut: 2.9/100,000

Mid-atlantic/Other Northeastern States

New Jersey: 2.9/100,000
New York: 2.9/100,000
Delaware: 4.9/100,000
Pennsylvania: 5.2/100,000
Maryland: 9.0/100,000

Florida: 5.2/100,000

US average: 5.0/100,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

(Info adapted from this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...rate-than.html)
That’s because safety is code.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:10 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s because safety is code.
If you subtract Boston metro, NH becomes solidly the best state in New England. It's still the best for a semi-rural or rural lifestyle with immediate access to lakes region and mountains. It's a very idyllic place to raise a family and to grow up as a kid. The homicide rates are quite low, and usually clock below MA on a given year. The population in northern NE states are low enough that a bad year in one local community can skew the numbers for the the entire state. VT, NH, and Maine are commonly in the top 3 safest states year in and year out. New Hampshire had the lowest murder rate in the country for 10 of the 12 years, from 2006 through 2017.

Its much more affordable than MA and the culture is much less snobby. People are more open minded and friendly. People up there look out for each other without getting up in others' business. Same could be said for Maine, which is also a great state, just poorer, more remote and colder. Maine may also beat out NH in terms of natural beauty and for rural living. The only real downsides of NH are the lack of a real urban option and the cold weather.

For cd it's expected that NH and Maine will do badly because they don't have proper cities. In reality if someone isn't interested in an urban lifestyle than it's a great pick.

Last edited by Space_League; 03-08-2021 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2021, 07:31 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
If you subtract Boston metro, NH becomes solidly the best state in New England. It's still the best for a semi-rural or rural lifestyle with immediate access to lakes region and mountains. It's a very idyllic place to raise a family and to grow up as a kid. The homicide rates are quite low, and usually clock below MA on a given year. The population in northern NE states are low enough that a bad year in one local community can skew the numbers for the the entire state. VT, NH, and Maine are commonly in the top 3 safest states year in and year out. New Hampshire had the lowest murder rate in the country for 10 of the 12 years, from 2006 through 2017.

Its much more affordable than MA and the culture is much less snobby. People are more open minded and friendly. People up there look out for each other without getting up in others' business. Same could be said for Maine, which is also a great state, just poorer, more remote and colder. Maine may also beat out NH in terms of natural beauty and for rural living. The only real downsides of NH are the lack of a real urban option and the cold weather.

For cd it's expected that NH and Maine will do badly because they don't have proper cities. In reality if someone isn't interested in an urban lifestyle than it's a great pick.

Eh, I think Rhode Island is the best New England state other than Mass, because of its location and it has the best non Boston city in the state (Providence), that is not far off away like Portland.

But I rate it:

Pennsylvania (affordable, fairly high QOL, decent COL and great location with attractive and historic cities and towns and tons of legacy assets that are accessible).
New York (Amazing cities and towns with great diversity of landscape, a little more expensive though).
New Jersey (Highly underrated. The jersey shore wins it for me).

Massachusetts (too expensive but it has tons of character and charm)
Rhode Island (You get more for your money here with an awesome city and tons of NE culture).
Connecticut (I prefer NYC to Boston and why I rate it above NH)
New Hampshire (Too rural for me personally)

Maryland (Its a nice state, but eh. I think it has hit a plateau over the past 5 years. It is rather expensive in its nice parts and I think its beaches are below average and it has some very nice suburbs but eh. Its charm is just missing.... It really has lots of that new urbanism development which lacks character and is blah to me. *shoulders in the air )

Florida (I just do not like it here to live. Maybe visit for a long weekend.)

Last edited by rowhomecity; 03-08-2021 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-08-2021, 07:35 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
My first three choices would be Maryland, Pennsylvania and (upstate) NY, in that order. COL is pretty high in MD though, so I think PA would be the better option, depending on the area. Massachusetts is a little too cold and provincial for my tastes, and I would never live in Florida.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh, I think Rhode Island is the best New England state because of its location and it has the best non Boston city in the state, that is not far off away like Portland.

Well I guess everyone will have a different opinion. I just don't think it's fair to write off NH as being a bad state simply because it isn't diverse. I think the culture and attitude is more welcoming and accepting of differences compared to MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ etc. I've met the most free thinkers and interesting unique characters up there compared to anywhere on a percentage basis.

I actually prefer Portland's location but much prefer Providence as a city. I guess I don't care much for RI outside of Providence, which I like quite a bit. Portland doesn't really do much for me, too small to be a city and too big to own land. But the rural areas and small towns around there are great imo

Old 03-08-2021, 08:10 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Well I guess everyone will have a different opinion. I just don't think it's fair to write off NH as being a bad state simply because it isn't diverse. I think the culture and attitude is more welcoming and accepting of differences compared to MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ etc.
Yeah, again, really really easy to say this if youre white lol. How hard is that to understand?

It's ridiculous to act as if NH homogeneity isnt a knock against it. Ask yourself, for 2 seconds, if you were to poll minorities (especially blacks and latinos).. compared to those other states how we'll would NH fare?

Even then its not not just a lack of diversity. I quite like Vermont/the Berkshires for what it is it's something more unwelcoming in the air in NH.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yeah, again, really really easy to say this if youre white lol. How hard is that to understand?

It's ridiculous to act as if NH homogeneity isnt a knock against it. Ask yourself, for 2 seconds, if you were to poll minorities (especially blacks and latinos).. compared to those other states how we'll would NH fare?

Even then its not not just a lack of diversity. I quite like Vermont/the Berkshires for what it is it's something more unwelcoming in the air in NH.
It just feels like a cheap shot at the state. It's also a cheap shot to assume my impression is somehow irrevocably tied to my physical appearance and to assume that it would be impossible for me to consider a place through the lens of someone who doesn't look like me. I don't think that's true at all. Racists even feel "safe" acting out around other white people, so it's not impossible for us to spot them. I've met plenty in places like Newburyport or Andover MA.

As for the homogeneity, I don't consider it a strength, but not an automatic condemnation either. I wouldn't condem Kagoshima or Lisbon for that, why condemn New Hampshire?

Now, if I had solid evidence that the population is more bigoted than in any other state, or that the demographic composition was a result of exlusionary behavior, that would change things. But prettymuch every rural, northern place on earth is full of germanic and slavic type whites

I don't think the poll would necessarily go like you imagine. People already think of Boston as a racist city to begin with, I don't think it would be scoring many points for MA. Most people outside New England who aren't on cd probably don't have any impression of New Hampshire and basically would have no opinion on it.

What exactly is it that caused you to feel unwelcome? I'm not saying that your impression is unjustified, but I don't know what it's based on other than a feeling inthe air which isn't enough to change my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City