Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
It just feels like a cheap shot at the state. It's also a cheap shot to assume my impression is somehow irrevocably tied to my physical appearance and to assume that it would be impossible for me to consider a place through the lens of someone who doesn't look like me. I don't think that's true at all. Racists even feel "safe" acting out around other white people, so it's not impossible for us to spot them. I've met plenty in places like Newburyport or Andover MA.

As for the homogeneity, I don't consider it a strength, but not an automatic condemnation either. I wouldn't condem Kagoshima or Lisbon for that, why condemn New Hampshire?

Now, if I had solid evidence that the population is more bigoted than in any other state, or that the demographic composition was a result of exlusionary behavior, that would change things. But prettymuch every rural, northern place on earth is full of germanic and slavic type whites

I don't think the poll would necessarily go like you imagine. People already think of Boston as a racist city to begin with, I don't think it would be scoring many points for MA. Most people outside New England who aren't on cd probably don't have any impression of New Hampshire and basically would have no opinion on it.

What exactly is it that caused you to feel unwelcome? I'm not saying that your impression is unjustified, but I don't know what it's based on other than a feeling inthe air which isn't enough to change my opinion
No way you believe what you're saying. Not a chance. As the woman from NY said there's a "huge difference"(she actually said that twice) between MA and NH. You don't really want to listen to what I'm saying or she said so idk. Everyone with a modicum of awareness of political primaries knows about NH's demographics.

"its a cheap shot"? lol yea okay. The problem is your talking to someone whos been to new Hampshire a dozen times who knows people who've been to New Hampshire. Whos Uncle currently lives in New Hampshire. Whose parents briefly lived in New Hampshire and then moved back due to it being intolerable...who knows dozens of people from New Hampshire.

Theres very palpable white fragility, mixed with head-in-the-sandedness in this post. Diveristy is something we view as an assett on this forum 9/10 times- but pointing a lack of diversity is a "cheapshot"? Doesnt add up...but whatever-NH isn't in the poll or thread. Moving on.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-08-2021 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 06:35 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Florida.

Climate is the number one reason. Secondly is culture; I’m a west coast native and something about the Northeast feels foreign to me (please don’t make me elaborate); Florida isn’t quite like Cali, but it’s one of the few states left for someone to take on their own terms, which is why Florida is one of the few east coast states on my top ten list of states I’d live in. I guess I’m most at home in sunbelty kind of suburbs. Third, I’m comforted by palm trees.
Florida has boring scenery. No mountains ... @ least CA got mountains.

I find FL boring & so humid, blech

Old 03-09-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Wow Florida must be even more amazing than I thought if so many people are still moving there even despite its low wages..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_tax
People arent moving to FL from the NE b/c they want to or b/c they like FL. Ppl from the NE are moving b/c they cant afford the NE. It doesnt mean FL is desirable.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

I don't particularly like FL beaches because of this. I'm not a florida person and agree with you 110% here.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:03 AM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Quote:

I talked about the flatness in another post. Basically the presence or absence of mountains doesn’t really bother me, but I’ll add that I do miss having more exciting curvy roads around. Florida landscapes are pretty to my eyes, though, and I say that as someone who is slightly unusual in that I don’t covet greenery the way most folks do.

The humidity can suck sometimes, but I guess I’m used to it. I don’t even have working AC in the car now, so it’s “adapt or die”, lol. But even when I did have working A/C, I almost never used it, so long as I was traveling alone. I might have flipped it on once a month for 10 minutes just to circulate the compressor oil. Once you’re acclimatized, it’s not as bad.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-09-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I talked about the flatness in another post. Basically the presence or absence of mountains doesn’t really bother me, but I’ll add that I do miss having more exciting curvy roads around. Florida landscapes are pretty to my eyes, though, and I say that as someone who is slightly unusual in that I don’t covet greenery the way most folks do.

The humidity can suck sometimes, but I guess I’m used to it. I don’t even have working AC in the car now, so it’s “adapt or die”, lol. But even when I did have working A/C, I almost never used it, so long as I was traveling alone. I might have flipped it on once a month for 10 minutes just to circulate the compressor oil. Once you’re acclimatized, it’s not as bad.
For someone from a mountainous state like myself (NY), i love hiking & skiing. I do also love the beach so FL got that covered but I find FL has a lack of other things I find enjoyable

I mean NY got beaches too. There’s just not much about FL that appeals to me.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:44 PM

8,486 posts, read 4,733,015 times
Quote:
For someone from a mountainous state like myself (NY), i love hiking & skiing. I do also love the beach so FL got that covered but I find FL has a lack of other things I find enjoyable

I mean NY got beaches too. There’s just not much about FL that appeals to me.
Yeah, it’s also that FL is culturally kind of more my kinda place. In a way it replicates that buck wild, de facto permissive attitude I like from many places out west, it just happens to be visually greener, and has beaches. I don’t think I would fit in terribly well in the northeast, but I do think I could find a good groove in Florida.

I actually love skiing, despite the fact that the cold is physically painful for me - it’s nice to visit snow on my own terms, but living in it doesn’t appeal. So much like Texas, lack of access to skiing is a bummer. California is tops that way, because you could surf, golf, and ski on the same day, and the same isn’t really true of any other state that I know of (maybe the PNW?).

Anyhow, yeah. Florida for me. Can’t really begrudge someone with other tastes and preferences though.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:54 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Yeah, it’s also that FL is culturally kind of more my kinda place. In a way it replicates that buck wild, de facto permissive attitude I like from many places out west, it just happens to be visually greener, and has beaches. I don’t think I would fit in terribly well in the northeast, but I do think I could find a good groove in Florida.

I actually love skiing, despite the fact that the cold is physically painful for me - it’s nice to visit snow on my own terms, but living in it doesn’t appeal. So much like Texas, lack of access to skiing is a bummer. California is tops that way, because you could surf, golf, and ski on the same day, and the same isn’t really true of any other state that I know of (maybe the PNW?).

Anyhow, yeah. Florida for me. Can’t really begrudge someone with other tastes and preferences though.
(South) Florida has this cool mix of being high energy and low stress . You see that combo in different proportions in Miami, Tampa, Orlando . I've never been to FL panhandle or much of north FL other than Jacksonville so I can't say what it's like up there, but I'm sure it's quite difference. You can get some of just about anything in FL... except elevation

Arizona is another statewhereyou can ski and swim in the same day. You could literally do it today. Phoenix is currently 78 degrees and Humphreys is 26. About a 2-3 hour drive from Phoenix.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
These numbers are from only 2019. I can't even imagine these days. Keep telling yourself that they can't afford it.

Check out these 2021 state rankings also

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...erall_Rankings
The majority of NYers moving to FL are doing so because they can no longer afford NY. That is fact. Most people are not saying "I want to move to FL b/c I love it" ... they are moving to FL because it's cheap.

An influx of people to a state that is cheap isn't indicative of people moving for desirability. Sure some NYers do love FL, but if they loved it so much, they'd likely not be in NY in the first place. It's FACTS - NY is expensive and a large # of people leave it for financial reasons.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
The majority of NYers moving to FL are doing so because they can no longer afford NY. That is fact. Most people are not saying "I want to move to FL b/c I love it" ... they are moving to FL because it's cheap.

An influx of people to a state that is cheap isn't indicative of people moving for desirability. Sure some NYers do love FL, but if they loved it so much, they'd likely not be in NY in the first place. It's FACTS - NY is expensive and a large # of people leave it for financial reasons.
That cannot be more false, and no, it is not “facts”. A new build community, starting in the millions, sprouted up near me. A local newspaper did a story on it - almost every family was from NY.

Re: “if they loved it so much, they’d not be in NY in the first place” - you do realize that people cannot choose where they’re born and raised, right?

Can you get more for your money in many areas of FL than, say, Westchester? Sure. But to suggest they can’t afford Westchester when they’re buying homes in cash sight unseen is laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City