Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 05:15 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
PA is a lot more friendly on taxes and gun laws, which are huge pluses, but it’s also the most depressing state in the Northeast. It just has a really downer vibe to it, and the road network was developed so early that now it plain sucks.
Honestly curious how you've concluded your remark re: PA being the most depressing in the Northeast.

Truth be told, the entirety of the Northeast is prone to melancholy vibes in my experiences during the late fall/winter months when the days are shorter and there's a dearth of green. But obviously that's not PA-specific, and it's arguably the best-off Northeast state climatoligically.

Definitely recognize how such things are very subjective, but always appreciate more context with statements like this if you're willing to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 06:27 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Honestly curious how you've concluded your remark re: PA being the most depressing in the Northeast.

Truth be told, the entirety of the Northeast is prone to melancholy vibes in my experiences during the late fall/winter months when the days are shorter and there's a dearth of green. But obviously that's not PA-specific, and it's arguably the best-off Northeast state climatoligically.

Definitely recognize how such things are very subjective, but always appreciate more context with statements like this if you're willing to share.
Well, I’ve been off for a few days but I think these are the reasons:

You say that the climate there is better than others, so maybe I’m unlucky in that the normal mode of me being there is clouds/rain/snow. That may be coincidental, but boy, when I was trucking, I didn’t pick when I was there or not, and it sure seemed like it had a lot of gloomy weather, a lot of the time.

The other thing is related to roads. I know that’s probably belabored far too much, but PA’s roads are underdeveloped, a symptom of them being among the first in the US to industrialize and take roads seriously. As a trucker, PA was amongst the worst states to work in. Even good roads like I81 or the Penn Pike were...kinda alright, but truck stops were at a premium and tended to be run-down. The other reason I think the road argument works against PA is that roads like US22 are somehow seen as viable commercial routes, if only because the Penn Pike is absurdly expensive for trucks. Other roads like US 422 are a tragic mistake; I basically had to take a 30% pay cut to run in PA because of crap like this; I was paid by the mile, so it was frustrating and took me through aforementioned routes in PA I wouldn’t have gone through most anywhere else. So, I was routed through other towns I might not see from the freeway, and all those old houses with siding (maybe I’m too much of a straight up Western dude, but I’ve always associated siding with depressing, jobless areas with tight money and a grim feel) right along a main thoroughfare, many looking past their prime, towns struggling to hang on to their cores after de-industrialization, rusted out cars, etc...it paints a gloomy picture of PA to me. But again, because the road network put me through areas I wouldn’t have seen in many surrounding states, it might just be that I’ve seen more of PA than other states, and that’s why it comes across as being hella depressing. And why do y’all feel proud of 1600’ or 2000’ peaks, with signs and everything?! Lmao it looks so quaint to someone from out west, it literally feels like a regional club where bigger mountains can’t possibly exist.

There’s nice places like Carlisle, or some of the Philly ‘burbs, and the Lehigh Valley feels a bit alive, but overall I get the feeling of a place which has been in decline for a long, long time, and which hasn’t really been able to catch up and feel modern anywhere. I always felt kinda melancholy when I rode through PA.

Last edited by jcp123; 05-13-2021 at 06:51 PM..

Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:

You say that the climate there is better than others, so maybe I’m unlucky in that the normal mode of me being there is clouds/rain/snow. That may be coincidental, but boy, when I was trucking, I didn’t pick when I was there or not, and it sure seemed like it had a lot of gloomy weather, a lot of the time.

The other thing is related to roads. I know that’s probably belabored far too much, but PA’s roads are underdeveloped, a symptom of them being among the first in the US to industrialize and take roads seriously. As a trucker, PA was amongst the worst states to work in. Even good roads like I81 or the Penn Pike were...kinda alright, but truck stops were at a premium and tended to be run-down. The other reason I think the road argument works against PA is that roads like US22 are somehow seen as viable commercial routes, if only because the Penn Pike is absurdly expensive for trucks. Other roads like US 422 are a tragic mistake; I basically had to take a 30% pay cut to run in PA because of crap like this; I was paid by the mile, so it was frustrating and took me through aforementioned routes in PA I wouldn’t have gone through most anywhere else. So, I was routed through other towns I might not see from the freeway, and all those old houses with siding (maybe I’m too much of a straight up Western dude, but I’ve always associated siding with depressing, jobless areas with tight money and a grim feel) right along a main thoroughfare, many looking past their prime, towns struggling to hang on to their cores after de-industrialization, rusted out cars, etc...it paints a gloomy picture of PA to me. But again, because the road network put me through areas I wouldn’t have seen in many surrounding states, it might just be that I’ve seen more of PA than other states, and that’s why it comes across as being hella depressing. And why do y’all feel proud of 1600’ or 2000’ peaks, with signs and everything?! Lmao it looks so quaint to someone from out west, it literally feels like a regional club where bigger mountains can’t possibly exist.

There’s nice places like Carlisle, or some of the Philly ‘burbs, and the Lehigh Valley feels a bit alive, but overall I get the feeling of a place which has been in decline for a long, long time, and which hasn’t really been able to catch up and feel modern anywhere. I always felt kinda melancholy when I rode through PA.
Very much agree with you, Central-Western NYS down through most of PA WV KY and SE OH fit this sentiment of being some of the most depressing areas ive visited.

For that reason, I put PA below all bar fl

Old 05-13-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. I can understand where you're coming from. No qualms whatsoever with the notion that PA has its share of economically stagnant towns and you're preaching to the choir about super-dated infrastructure (although definitely improved over the last decade).

But I do believe your perspective has been quite a bit skewed by your trucking routes. The Southeastern quadrant of PA (everything south and west of the Alleghenies) is undoubtedly one of the most consistently urbanized/vibrant areas in the US, for example.

And central/rural PA does also have plenty of hidden charm, as well. Being that it's such disjointed/mountainous/hilly state, I've found that many folks aren't aware of the "gems" during their pass-through excursions. But they're definitely there.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Very much agree with you, Central-Western NYS down through most of PA WV KY and SE OH fit this sentiment of being some of the most depressing areas ive visited.

For that reason, I put PA below all bar fl
I honestly haven't found great portions of New England any less depressing than portions of the Mid-Atlantic. There's a reason, for example, Stephen King novels are set in Maine.

Once again, however, this is all incredibly subjective. To each their own.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
I honestly haven't found great portions of New England any less depressing than portions of the Mid-Atlantic. There's a reason, for example, Stephen King novels are set in Maine.

Once again, however, this is all incredibly subjective. To each their own.
Honest to god, I’ve had a very similar experience with PA as the other posters.

But, I’m generally driving E-W through northern parts of PA. I did a lot of driving through Scranton down through SW PA as well (younger years). So, not at all super developed parts of the State. But for whatever reason, PA has this ominous cloud and melancholy ho-hum feel. It’s always been my least favorite state to drive through.To be fair, much of western NY gives me the same experience.

Idk what it is, but it’s been a very real experience for me over quite a long period of time.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Honest to god, I’ve had a very similar experience with PA as the other posters.

But, I’m generally driving E-W through northern parts of PA. I did a lot of driving through Scranton down through SW PA as well (younger years). So, not at all super developed parts of the State. But for whatever reason, PA has this ominous cloud and melancholy ho-hum feel. It’s always been my least favorite state to drive through.To be fair, much of western NY gives me the same experience.

Idk what it is, but it’s been a very real experience for me over quite a long period of time.
Yeah, certainly not trying to discount anyone's experiences/opinions. Everyone comes from a different angle.

I guess I would just say that, having driven through rural areas in every region of the US (West, Midwest, South and Northeast), I've come across plenty of places I'd describe as moribund and depressing. Sadly, this is true for a massive chunk of rural America at large, with no state escaping this trend unscathed.

And I'd even entertain the notion of particular cloudiness in PA (it wouldn't shock me in some parts of the state). But according to the Farmer's Almanac, the state doesn't even rank in the Top 10 for cloudiness (interestingly, neighboring NY and OH do): https://www.farmersalmanac.com/top-1...s-states-22480

Here's a fun map that Bloomberg put out called the "Dreariness Index." Looks like the Northeast and most of the the Great Lakes Midwest really are in a similar boat here (with notable exception for the PNW):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usiest-weather

Last edited by Duderino; 05-14-2021 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, certainly not trying to discount anyone's experiences/opinions. Everyone comes from a different angle.

I guess I would just say that, having driven through rural areas in every region of the US (West, Midwest, South and Northeast), I've come across plenty of places I'd describe as moribund and depressing. Sadly, this is true for a massive chunk of rural America at large, with no state escaping this trend unscathed.

And I'd even entertain the notion of particular cloudiness in PA (it wouldn't shock me in some parts of the state). But according to the Farmer's Almanac, the state doesn't even rank in the Top 10 for cloudiness (interestingly, neighboring NY and OH do): https://www.farmersalmanac.com/top-1...s-states-22480

Here's a fun map that Bloomberg put out called the "Dreariness Index." Looks like the Northeast and most of the the Great Lakes Midwest really are in a similar boat here (with notable exception for the PNW):

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...usiest-weather
Like yes, that is a good point.. but outside weather, how polished/cultured an area is also plays a role. Rural PA NY OH WV are significantly less than neighboring states. Rural PA is gorgeous, but where the hoomans live.. its not great.

Laconia and north of NH and Northern ME are like this too.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Like yes, that is a good point.. but outside weather, how polished/cultured an area is also plays a role. Rural PA NY OH WV are significantly less than neighboring states. Rural PA is gorgeous, but where the hoomans live.. its not great.

Laconia and north of NH and Northern ME are like this too.
I think you're trying to get at the fact that rural New England is somewhat more "polished," and insofar as it has more rural "resort" towns, you're certainly right.

But again, even rural New England has its share of moribund. I'm just trying to dispel this notion of writing of an entire region with broadbrush strokes--that's all.

And again sadly, based on poverty levels alone, the vast majority of rural America is just not very well-off. There's really no denying this fact. I'd honestly characterize the rural Upper Midwest as being the best-off based on objective measures, but even that is patchy. Here's a study from 2017, which has likely become even more acute since the pandemic:

Quote:
America’s lopsided recovery: Study shows pockets of economic prosperity, leaving millions behind

When it comes to economic prosperity in America, a rising tide does not lift all boats.

Looking at national statistics, the U.S. economy has bounced back from the Great Recession but a detailed new report from the Economic Innovation Group (EIG), a Washington, D.C., think tank, shows that the recovery is almost entirely concentrated in a small number of prosperous communities. Those urban and suburban centers — many of which are buoyed by thriving tech industries — are educated and experience strong job growth. Outside of these communities, economic distress is pervasive, a phenomenon that significantly influenced the 2016 election.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/americ...llions-behind/

Old 05-14-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I think you're trying to get at the fact that rural New England is somewhat more "polished," and insofar as it has more rural "resort" towns, you're certainly right.

But again, even rural New England has its share of moribund. I'm just trying to dispel this notion of writing of an entire region with broadbrush strokes--that's all.

And again sadly, based on poverty levels alone, the vast majority of rural America is just not very well-off. There's really no denying this fact. I'd honestly characterize the rural Upper Midwest as being the best-off based on objective measures, but even that is patchy. Here's a study from 2017, which has likely become even more acute since the pandemic:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/americ...llions-behind/
I still am lost why rural MA VT CT is just so much better off or atleast looks it .. It makes no sense.. and yes resorty.

Not saying i like vt etc better than pa, but you know what i mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City