Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 01:56 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Soulless? I wouldn't say that. Definitely has more soul than CT, MD or Nj.. just from Boston alone. MA is just a classist playground for the ultra wealthy. Yuck. Very over it.. the nightlife came to an utter stop in 1990.

I do think as MA booms (and it's really only accelerating with labs and science), it could amend some of its shortfalls. I don't get how a state so economically prosperous who is trying to (and still somehow succeeding) to attract people from all over the world... Fails to improve it's entertainment and social scene. It's pretty bad. My biggest quarlm with Ma Is it makes everything so hard.
I never understand your assessment of MA nightlife. It’s way better now than it was 10 years ago and I never have trouble having fun. I think this argument is way overblown. I can think of a lot of great places I’d go to in Boston this summer, easyyy.

Also your first paragraph is totally contradictory. Regardless. The souls of MA is found in The neighborhoods and the he community organizations, on the porch, in the small schools, the arts programs, city parks and corner stores. During the day, all year round. Your city and neighborhood is basically extended family. Rhode Island also has this element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 01:58 PM

626 posts, read 466,567 times
It seems weird that Florida is even in this poll with only Northeastern states anyways. Little ol' Florida isn't starting to threaten an entire region of the country now is it? I was trying not to believe all those news articles lately. I love the Northeast, and almost the entire U.S. for that matter.. Some people just don't know how to give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by popka; 02-28-2021 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 01:59 PM

14,042 posts, read 15,078,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
It seems weird that Florida is even in this poll with only Northeastern states anyways. Little ol' Florida isn't threatening an entire region of the country now is it?
Maryland’s Southern

Old 02-28-2021, 02:24 PM

7,286 posts, read 10,629,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
How do you have PA ahead of MA? sorry, but I don’t get the appeal of Pennsylvania..
To each their own. I'm not going to start a protracted debate, but in a nutshell, as someone who now has extensive experience with both states, Pennsylvania feels much more balanced, more livable, and less frenetic with regard to the middle-class, and in particular middle-class families (very underrated in that regard).

Other factors like weather (more temperate), more central location in many respects, and a broader cross-section of all walks-of-life, make it more approachable and honestly much more "live and let live" for most people (the social culture, NOT political culture, of New England feels more conservative).

Massachusetts is a great state, and I really appreciate the opportunity to live here. But utopia it is not. And I can absolutely relate to a preference among many to live in a Mid-Atlantic state.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-28-2021 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 03:11 PM

626 posts, read 466,567 times
These are some state's Adjusted Gross Income gained amounts for only 1 year, 2019. Florida has been on fire since the pandemic started. I can only imagine what these numbers look like now..

Old 02-28-2021, 03:32 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,496,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
New York and Pennsylvania would be my first 2 choices. I picked NY for the variety of landscapes, attractions and the wide variety of places to live in the state. I am from the Oswego, NY area and love the Lake Placid area & Adirondack region. NY also has the NY State Fair in Syracuse, great snowmobiling in Redfield and the wine region in the Finger Lakes.

I have lived in PA (Erie) for a bit over 5 years and like the mix of cities here. I love being close to Lake Erie and Presque Isle State Park. Pittsburgh is also a cool city with different unique neighborhoods. The wilderness areas in the mountains are gorgeous.

Maryland is a decent choice for having Baltimore which is a city that I have enjoyed visiting. New Jersey gets a bad rap but is a decent place to visit and not all of it is a hyper-urban area. Massachusetts is also cool with a lot of cultural attractions, walkable cities and historical sites.

I don't know a lot about Connecticut as I have only visited the Hartford area.

I will catch hate for this but I am not into Florida at all. I liked visiting the beaches but didn't really find anything else there to interest me much.

Upstate new york needs high speed rail service to connect it to the southern part of ny and NJ or they should aim to make Boston their hub. Albany seems to ignore the rest of the state plus NY state government is terrible.

CT has crappy pizza and new haven is depressing

Quote:
How do you have PA ahead of MA? sorry, but I don’t get the appeal of Pennsylvania..

I like philadelphia (at least the mayor nutter years) more than Boston. It just felt more lively and more food options at night.

Quote:
It seems weird that Florida is even in this poll with only Northeastern states anyways. Little ol' Florida isn't starting to threaten an entire region of the country now is it? I was trying not to believe all those news articles lately. I love the Northeast, and almost the entire U.S. for that matter.. Some people just don't know how to give credit where credit is due.

Florida is still the area that northeasterners go to retire with their pensions. Plus, it invented the cuban sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maryland’s Southern

but for how long......?

Old 02-28-2021, 03:36 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,037,752 times
Quote:
Don't know if the OP is deciding among all of these states. If so, it would make sense
to first decide between Florida and the Northeast. If the Northeast wins, then select
from among those six Northeastern states.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:28 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,326,587 times
Going in order of poll above:

New York - Great state with so much variety. I mean you have NYC, Hamptons, Hudson Valley, Finger Lakes, Upstate, Thousand Islands. I love New York. It is all not roses though, for me it comes in at Number 2.

Maryland - Overall a very lovely state. The majority of the population lives in the Bos - Wash Corridor which is actually not my favorite part of the state because I think its suburbs are actually very bland overall in that section. Although I do like the Bethesda, Potomac, Rockville, Frederick corridor very much and Annapolis is very nice too. The Eastern shore of Maryland is also very quaint and rural and most definitely has a southern influence (which so many people forget about). I rank it a notch above Florida.

New Jersey - New Jersey gets such a bad rap from outsiders because most people experience it from the Meadowlands and the NJ Turnpike, and do not actually get to experience its towns. New Jersey is very diverse and dense and it has an interesting mix of suburbs, many having a dense urban vibe. The people are loud but friendly. And I love the Jersey Shore. To me that is the iconic American beach experience.

Connecticut - Overall a very beautiful state with a nice mix of features and assets. I am bringing it down a few notches though because shockingly its cities are more than lackluckster which always shocked me given its proximity in the Northeast Corridor and the wealth the state holds.

Florida - Im just not a Florida Man. Or wait I meant Florida fan. It is nice to visit for a long weekend (especially in the winter) and I do not dislike Miami, but it gets old fast for me. It just feels like lifeless suburbia for the most part outside of Miami and Palm Beach. Ive never been to the Panhandle, but I have a feeling I would not like it.

Massachusetts - Great state, I love its history charm and diversity of having both some iconic and beautiful coastal beaches/communities and the western portion is mountainous. Boston is also undeniably a nice city. Its drawback is the insane high COL and it closes up shop way too early. Those puritan influences still carry over.

Pennsylvania - In my mind this state has always been underrated. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are absolutely fantastic cities with iconic identities and cultures and both have great suburbs. Pennsylvania has so much history and quaint charming towns. It has a lively arts scene and despite some remaining "Quaker" liquor laws it actually has a pretty nice nightlife/entertainment scene. Such a great sports state between Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Penn State, a true sports fanatic will never get bored here. And some of its smaller cities and towns are widely unknown to most. Places like Bethlehem, Lancaster and Harrisburg are actually true small urban beauties. And its COL is very manageable which I like. And the southeastern portion of the state is only one hour from The Atlantic beaches making it proximite enough to enjoy the same features as the coastal states in the comparison.

Therefore my rankings are below:

1) Pennsylvania - "America starts here"

2) New York - "The Empire State"

3) Massachusetts - "The spirit of America"

4) New Jersey - "The Garden State"

5) Maryland - "Star spangled Banner"

6) Connecticut - "Influence lives here"

7) Florida - "The sunshine state"

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-28-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 04:52 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
all those smart people leave Boston and MA for NYC to make money.

NJ I feel has more soul than MA. CT was a disappointment. MA definitely beats CT.

northeast corridor MD is turning into NJ with old bay. Baltimore needs to gentrify and focus on seafood more once the economy turns around.
This whole post is not true. Very poor assessment. Big. Nj ny bias

Old 02-28-2021, 06:20 PM

1,062 posts, read 701,640 times
Quote:
I never understand your assessment of MA nightlife. It’s way better now than it was 10 years ago and I never have trouble having fun. I think this argument is way overblown. I can think of a lot of great places I’d go to in Boston this summer, easyyy.

Also your first paragraph is totally contradictory. Regardless. The souls of MA is found in The neighborhoods and the he community organizations, on the porch, in the small schools, the arts programs, city parks and corner stores. During the day, all year round. Your city and neighborhood is basically extended family. Rhode Island also has this element.
I think you could add Worcester as a city with greatly improved nightlife and Springfield and Lowell are pretty good for cities their size. I think if you're comparing Mass to NJ, our cities are as good or better for nightlife (with the exception of Atlantic City and some of the shore). I think where NJ may have Mass beat is nightlife in the suburbs. Suburban Mass has either trendy upscale bars or townie bars whereas I've seen some decent bars in similarly sized NJ suburbs and maybe that's where it excels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City