Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There's a difference between ”glamorous” and ”elite.”

I'm my view, cities like Miami and Los Angeles have plenty of glamour, but elite? Not so much.

I know the image of Beverly Hills/Hollywood and Palm Beach is brandished into everyone's mind, but these areas have much lower median household incomes, lower educational attainment, and much larger working classes than cities like Boston, DC or SF, in particular.

So why should LA or Miami be considered "elite" when in reality they really don't fit the profile?
I think LA is the epitome of elite. Elite doesn't mean "city devoid of poor people." London has poor people. Paris as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 05:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,856 times
San Jose only has 10 votes? Makes no sense.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
If the image of a city is shaped by elite (literally elite by virtue of their wealth/profession or success in their profession people perceived to be out of touch with the common man then Miami and LA fit the bill.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think LA is the epitome of elite. Elite doesn't mean "city devoid of poor people." London has poor people. Paris as well.
I think Hollywood/Beverly Hills, the Western parts of LA's metro (Santa Monica/Malibu) and parts of OC are elite.

The rest of it I kind of agree is more glamour than elite. Except for the fact that LA's universities are pretty top notch. Nothing like the Ivy league cities of the East though.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:03 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
San Jose only has 10 votes? Makes no sense.
I tend to think of SJ as the Mississauga to SF's Toronto. Like, I know it's big in its own right and has its own tech companies and rich people, but I still just think of it as an extension of SF and the latter city comes to mind more when I think "coastal elite".

Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Parts of OC are elite yet parts of Miami aren’t ( Star Island, Palm island, Hibiscus Island, Venetian Islands, Fisher Island, Indian Creek, La Gorce Island, Sunset Islands, Cocoplum, Gables Estates, Tahiti Beach....and I haven’t touched upon Palm Beach or Jupiter) ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think Hollywood/Beverly Hills, the Western parts of LA's metro (Santa Monica/Malibu) and parts of OC are elite.

The rest of it I kind of agree is more glamour than elite. Except for the fact that LA's universities are pretty top notch. Nothing like the Ivy league cities of the East though.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:11 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Ok let me ask you a question then...Is Miami more "elite" than Boston?

It does all of those things in bold 10x greater than Boston does...
No because those ultra wealthy went to school in Boston and make their money in Boston/NY/Chicago. And either retire or spend their winters in Florida

Old 03-03-2021, 06:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
For me it’s NYC, Boston, LA, and SF that first come to mind. I basically think of the northeast and west coast cities, and these 4 come to mind when I think of “elite.”

Old 03-03-2021, 06:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Parts of OC are elite yet parts of Miami aren’t ( Star Island, Palm island, Hibiscus Island, Venetian Islands, Fisher Island, Indian Creek, La Gorce Island, Sunset Islands, Cocoplum, Gables Estates, Tahiti Beach....and I haven’t touched upon Palm Beach or Jupiter) ??
I mentioned Star Island and others earlier, did I not? I also pointed out Miami being 4th in billionaires in the US. Much like LA however, I think the cities glamour can quickly drown out the true "elite-ness" or at least perceived "elite-ness", and the larger portion of the local population has to be taken into account. Not just a few wealthy neighborhoods, that each major metro area has. LA fairs better than Miami does on a lot of those metrics I was posting earlier as well.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:20 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Ok...agree the “average” non elite SoCal person fairs better (minus the homeless), not certain about the elites.

Quote:
I mentioned Star Island and others earlier, did I not? I also pointed out Miami being 4th in billionaires in the US. Much like LA however, I think the cities glamour can quickly drown out the true "elite-ness" or at least perceived "elite-ness", and the larger portion of the local population has to be taken into account. LA fairs better than Miami does on a lot of those metrics I was posting earlier as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City