Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 06:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think Hollywood/Beverly Hills, the Western parts of LA's metro (Santa Monica/Malibu) and parts of OC are elite.

The rest of it I kind of agree is more glamour than elite. Except for the fact that LA's universities are pretty top notch. Nothing like the Ivy league cities of the East though.
Sounds elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:28 PM

965 posts, read 724,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Seattle is beating Miami in the poll. Do you honestly believe that if you asked people around the world if Seattle is more elite than Miami most would say yes?
People from around the world wouldn't understand the root of the question, in this instance. This has nothing to do with which city is more globally recognizable.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:38 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
I don’t think the elite is necessarily like Walton’s rich. Is like McAllistar from Home alone Rich.

It’s people who know Air France is better than British Airways. Not who own a leer Jet.

They Drive a Volvo not a Toyota, not have a driver.

Their vacation to the islands, not their island.

It’s people who went to Harvard, Stanford or Northwestern not the people whose names are on the halls.

So it’s just all of Weston, Newton, Lexington or Greenwich, Westport, And Darien not like the 400 richest people.

Is is about general opulence. Places like Milwaukee or Kansas City just don’t have. Like the top 10% in Kansas City is like the 75th percentile in Boston or Seattle

Old 03-03-2021, 06:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
San Francisco has the highest costs, so it's my vote for "cost-al" elite.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
I think the term elite could be taken many ways, as many cities have "elite" factors. In almost every metric across the board you have an "elite" list of cities, and you have cities that are "par" for the course or lower. Whether discussing the hierarchy of cities based on overall wealth, universities, hospitals, private schools, architecture, urban design, amenities, nightlife etc. Most people will always have a set opinion on those factors.

The point of this thread though is asking based on worldwide or national perception. When the term is thrown around, which of the coastal cities of the United States are being referred to, or viewed as "elites" by stereotype?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Seattle is beating Miami in the poll. Do you honestly believe that if you asked people around the world if Seattle is more elite than Miami most would say yes?
Anyone who knows what they're talking about would say so. Seattle is the epitome of what is actually meant by the term coastal elite. Home to tech giants and influencers. Median income is >100k . Extremely outspoken neoliberal politics. Acts like it cares very much about the working class and diversity, but is somehow still not very diverse or livable for working class people.

Miami doesn't even really belong on the list at all. It's more of the south Florida region that makes the list. Naples, Parkland, Palm Beach (not wpb), Coral Gables, Jupiter come to mind. City of Miami itself doesn't really belong on there at all.

whoever said the top 5 was spot on too. Hollywood is coastal elite. LA as a whole is much less so.

Seattle is right up there with DC, Manhattan, and Hollywood though

Old 03-03-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I don’t think the elite is necessarily like Walton’s rich. Is like McAllistar from Home alone Rich.

It’s people who know Air France is better than British Airways. Not who own a leer Jet.

They Drive a Volvo not a Toyota, not have a driver.

Their vacation to the islands, not their island.

It’s people who went to Harvard, Stanford or Northwestern not the people whose names are on the halls.

So it’s just all of Weston, Newton, Lexington or Greenwich, Westport, And Darien not like the 400 richest people.

Is is about general opulence. Places like Milwaukee or Kansas City just don’t have. Like the top 10% in Kansas City is like the 75th percentile in Boston or Seattle

This is a good distinction to make and well worded. I was kind of thinking about it both ways at once without noticing it.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:48 PM

626 posts, read 464,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Miami doesn't even really belong on the list at all. It's more of the south Florida region that makes the list. Naples, Parkland, Palm Beach (not wpb), Coral Gables, Jupiter come to mind. City of Miami itself doesn't really belong on there at all.

What about Boca Raton etc?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What about Boca Raton etc?
Yea

Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For me it’s NYC, Boston, LA, and SF that first come to mind. I basically think of the northeast and west coast cities, and these 4 come to mind when I think of “elite.”
Those are the 4 breaking the 50% barrier, though I’m flummoxed how DC isn’t over that mark. It almost seems the obvious #3 after NY and San Fran.

I do think some people are not knowing the phrase and getting hung up on simply elite places. A coastal elite has nothing to do with mansions or luxury stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City