Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,428,651 times

Advertisements

Plenty of multimillion dollar homes in Seattle. They are typically hidden behind hedges with a Subaru or beat-up 4Runner parked in the driveway. Most dress like they did in college. People are less flashy here than Boston, where even the guys living with roommates in Dorchester drove leased BMWs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 06:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,137 posts, read 7,591,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
What makes coastal cities elite? How would the US economy perform without the alledged coastal elite cities?
If the cities listed in the OP all vanished from the US, and were part of another country...It would instantaneously drop America's status. Just as if the major cities not listed here weren't part of the nation's status would fall too.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:57 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,428,651 times
If the cities on this list were no longer part of the US, the US would be more like... Russia.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:10 AM

973 posts, read 729,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
This poll went from Boston and NYC neck and neck to SF just rising out of nowhere and blowing both out of the water slowly.

It's been neat to watch
Makes perfect sense to me. In the context of how "Coastal Elite" is used, often in a derogatory way by the conservative media, San Francisco is the embodiment.

Let's put it this way using a recent example from the news: if being a "Coastal Elite" could be weaponized, it would be in the form of the recent school board decision to rename most of their schools away from names associated with real (or perceived) actions from the past. To me, that was "peak-Coastal Elite" ha.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
coastal elite is different from old money
It's true that they have different connotations, and "old money" is much more geographically dispersed it the US.

But historically the massive concentration of industrial-era wealth is what empowered cities Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, and it gave rise to elite institutions and populations. So there's definitely some strong overlap, at least on the East Coast.

I think that's the crux of how folks are interpreting this thread differently: there's absolutely a much more modern understanding of "coastal elite" which is very politically tinged and essentially aimed at New York and California (and sometimes a place like Massachusetts) in the context of the "culture wars" and common criticisms of "limousine liberals" in Manhattan, San Francisco and Hollywood.

But "coastal elite" more historically was focused on the "East Coast establishment," which very much aligns with the set of "old money" cities noted above, plus the obvious addition of DC.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-04-2021 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-04-2021, 07:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It's true that they have different connotations, and "old money" is much more geographically dispersed it the US.

But historically the massive concentration of industrial-era wealth is what empowered cities Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, and it gave rise to elite institutions and populations. So there's definitely some strong overlap, at least on the East Coast.
I agree with for Boston, New York, and Philly, but is Baltimore really thought of as having elite institutions and populations? I know there is Hopkins, but Baltimore doesn't seem to really have "old money" prestige and remnants that NYC, Boston, and Philly do.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:02 AM

12,176 posts, read 8,052,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I agree with for Boston, New York, and Philly, but is Baltimore really thought of as having elite institutions and populations? I know there is Hopkins, but Baltimore doesn't seem to really have "old money" prestige and remnants that NYC, Boston, and Philly do.
Yes. Very. Baltimore has had a pretty rich history

Philadelphia and Boston lead the way in the 1700s, and New York grew their seed in the 1800s with Baltimore.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:20 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
I'd agree that it's not as prominently associated as the other cities, I've always found Baltimore very underrated in that regard.

You have a pretty sizable swath of neighborhoods on the edge of the city who live in neighborhoods like these: https://goo.gl/maps/7d6UwP1sTLVfSefu6

And in more urban terms, a neighborhood like Bolton Hill or some areas of downtown definitely look the part.

Baltimore is a case where sadly so much of its "old money" and "eliteness" decamped for the suburbs and has not gained as much traction in its return as much as other cities. But regionally, I believe it's still around and more dispersed. Annapolis is a perfect example, which is one of my all-time favorite coastal towns in the US.

Last edited by Duderino; 03-04-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-04-2021, 08:39 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times
Perception vs. reality are different but these are very large cities, and there is very much a presence of elites & big money (although shrinking and exclusive) in most of them.

The biggest connections to old money & old institutions is of course the big Northeastern cities and to a slightly lesser extent the big California cities (less San Diego). Most of others have a small presence but are newer to the crowd. (Chicago would fall in line with the Northeast).

But I get it, when people think of Coastal elites, their knowledge is generally limited, and the safe choices are chosen. For example, Boston has 53 votes and Philadelphia 11, when in reality, their coastal elite backgrounds are very similar in history, size and general influence.

But I agree with another poster that Philadelphia and Chicago offer the best balance of lifestyles in the big picture.

But if I want to be picky, San Diego, San Jose don't really belong in the ranking (IMO), and Seattle is a solid tier down from its Northeast and California counterparts, and Baltimore has lost most of its luster, but still has a small presence of old money.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:05 PM

21,691 posts, read 12,836,228 times
Quote:
Yes, Baltimore does have the old Money and Hopkins, Loyola, and was previously just a very wealthy city. Tons of elite prep schools even in city limits, Gilman, Bryn Mawr, Friends School...many all-boys schools and all-girls schools and previously elite public exam schools like City College and Poly Tech.

It's much more faded than the other cities but North Central Baltimore City and into Bmore County? The epitome of old money, 100%. And its olldddd money

Bmore City: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3447...i8192?hl=en-US
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3474...i8192?hl=en-US

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3406...i8192?hl=en-US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City