Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 08:54 AM

12,237 posts, read 8,149,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
It's pretty ironic that a Massachusetts poster is saying this about people in South Florida. Do you even live in the real world?
But is he wrong tho. The six sad years I lived in FL most elder folk were pretty conservative. Especially the rich older folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 08:54 AM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 2 days ago)

6,834 posts, read 6,107,138 times
Quote:
It's pretty ironic that a Massachusetts poster is saying this about people in South Florida. Do you even live in the real world?
No, it makes perfect sense. We’re one of the states who sent all those old rich white people south!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is not something people say. Theyre just the south. At best they're Eastern...if we must.
I know. There’s a “northeast” connotation to the phrase “east coast”, but it’s a bit silly especially since the “west coast” is everything from Seattle to San Diego.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:55 AM

12,237 posts, read 8,149,677 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This is not something people say. Theyre just the south. At best they're Eastern...if we must.
My parents live in NC now. They prefer Tidewater between Virginia Beach area and Wilmington. Yes to southeastern, even more yes to coastal, and bi go on tidewater.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:56 AM

36,693 posts, read 67,721,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You're basing "wealth" a bit arbitrarily on a cutoff of an income threshold devised by the Census. Again, that doesn't even adjust incomes to COL, which without such adjustment, is meaningless data.

Regardless, 200K is certainly not "wealthy" in either area. "Affluent," sure. I'm much more inclined to look at a millionaire household as wealthy, in which case the Philadelphia and Boston areas are certainly not separated by 50%.

About 5-year old data at this point, but I'm sure the numbers haven't changed dramatically. As of 2016, 7.5% Boston area households had $1 million in investment assets; the percentage of Philadelphia area households qualifying by that very same measure was 6.5%.

So you're talking about 1 more millionaire household out of 100.

An edge for Boston, of course. But nowhere close the the "blowout" difference in wealth being suggested. And in relative terms, both regions are much wealthier per capita than the nation as a whole.
Here's a more recent ranking by the same source.

https://www.phoenixmi.com/learn/wher...-america-2019/

Old 03-13-2021, 09:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 15,134,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
No, it's not. It measures liquid wealth, which is what separates truly wealthy people from those who are simply "house wealthy."

People who are actually wealthy don't need to rely on real estate or the value of their retirement accounts to prove such.
Let’s pretend you’re saving for your kids College. If you got a $550,000 a home equity loan factors into the equation for your savings plan. If you live in a place where a house is $210k you’re going to want an investment fund.

If someone has a summer home in Harwich worth $350k and a house in Newton worth 850k and $750,000 in non retirement savings vs a guy who lives in media with one $450k house and $1.1M in non retirement savings

Who is richer?

Old 03-13-2021, 09:57 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,880,189 times
The west coast cities are easier because there are fewer of them and most of them are actually on the west coast. I'm assuming most people don't consider places like Vegas and Phoenix to be "West Coast Cities". Maybe a tiny amount of people would think that, but I'd be surprised.

Are places like Sacramento or Eugene, Oregon considered west coast cities? I pretty much think of any place in CA, WA, or OR as being West Coast and noplace else. it's a lot more cut and dry imo because there are only 3 big states that are literally on the coast.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:23 AM

7,465 posts, read 6,634,907 times
It is possible to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I’m one of those and have company here in Miami. You will find more of us in Miami metro and smaller pockets (social liberals) as you go further north in SoFla—from an “American” or NE transplant perspective.

Within the Hispanic community, I definitely notice quite a bit of elitism from South Americans, Cubans and Spaniards. I have run into quite a few who, upon learning I moved to Miami from SoCal went out of their way to tell me “we’re better educated and better off than the Mexicans and Central Americans you dealt with in CA.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Except that the geezers in the million dollar high rise condos tend to be a heck of a lot more conservative. They’re from a time when affluent white people ran everything. You didn’t see many Bernie stickers on their cars.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-13-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-13-2021, 10:34 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,880,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
It is possible to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I’m one of those. You will find more of those in Miami metro and smaller pockets (social liberals) as you go further north in SoFla—from an “American” or NE transplant perspective.

Within the Hispanic community, I definitely notice quite a bit of elitism from South Americans, Cubans and Spaniards. I have run into quite a few who, upon learning I moved to Miami from SoCal went out of their way to tell me “we’re better educated and better off than the Mexicans and Central Americans you dealt with in CA.”
The bolded is possible and in fact seems pretty common. I would put many of the more powerful politicians we have now in that group. I would almost put our President Biden in there, though maybe not quite. More often lately I wonder if the opposite alignment is possible. That is to be socially conservative and fiscally liberal. I think this is a more interesting group.

For example, to support $15 minimum wage or universal healthcare or a more progressive tax structure, but also to be religiously oriented, don't support abortion, strong advocate for two parent households, thinking that family formation should be the focal point of marraige and that divorce should be the exception not the rule, don't support glorification of drug abuse and violence in media etc.

I feel like as I get older I've moved more towards this SCFL group and away from the SLFC by a little bit, though I'm still firmly in neither. I think I'm more of an a la carte moderate

Old 03-13-2021, 10:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,910,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Except that the geezers in the million dollar high rise condos tend to be a heck of a lot more conservative. They’re from a time when affluent white people ran everything. You didn’t see many Bernie stickers on their cars.
I'll bet you can't wait until you can be called "geezer", right? That time will come, or if it doesn't, I guess you won't have the privilege. Generations change (yours will, too), and then you will see that everything you control, will be run by someone else, calling you a "geezer", lol. The million dollar high rise condos that you speak of, will be inhabited by the next generation, closest to "geezers."

Old 03-13-2021, 11:16 AM

14,339 posts, read 9,218,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I'll bet you can't wait until you can be called "geezer", right? That time will come, or if it doesn't, I guess you won't have the privilege. Generations change (yours will, too), and then you will see that everything you control, will be run by someone else, calling you a "geezer", lol. The million dollar high rise condos that you speak of, will be inhabited by the next generation, closest to "geezers."
I'm less than three years from officially entering the ranks of Geezerdom, but I don't think I fit any of the assumptions being made here.

Now, get off my porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City