Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:36 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,497,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I don't get "elite" vibes from Philly. That's probably why it's amongst my favorite big cities.
Ever heard of the Main Line? It's the East Coast analogue of the L.A. Westside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are you serious...? So Chicago is your s*** city of the week?

All I will say, Chicago is without a doubt a major player globally in business, economics, finance, etc. A quick Google search will help your brain.

I will let other posters take it from here...
Chicago is losing its edge. The Downtown skyline and nearby lakefront is gorgeous, but it's not keeping people in the state anymore. The Leaving IL topic actually reflects the Census figures.

The Midwestern mindset is very parochial, which is understandable being dead center in Middle America (far from the coasts). Also the Rust Belt outside Chicagoland is very white and the poor economy deters immigrants.

The square Chicago street grid system is the big deterrent for Chicagoans traveling/relocating to other U.S. cities. It hard to navigate in Southern cities with winding road systems and pseudo-grids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 09:52 AM

36,702 posts, read 67,775,588 times
Coastal US Cities dominate the Top 10 Ranking of World Cities by the Density of Very High Net Worth Individuals, $5M+
*this is by MSA

my pic

So 1 in every 66 San Jose residents is a multimillionaire, which isnt surprising per se, but I'm equally impressed by the other US cities in this list.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:53 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,762,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Ever heard of the Main Line?...
I stand by what I said. These posts sum up Philly perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
But overall the city has a down to earth feel. Which is nice. Quakerism is very much built into the city, which I love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Philly area continues to be a healthy mix between "elite" old money vibes and blue-collar grit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I put Philly in the same boat as Chicago (another one of my favorites).

Both well-rounded and vibrant cities with a healthy balance of people living comfortably from all races/cultural backgrounds, which is how big cities should be.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The square Chicago street grid system is the big deterrent for Chicagoans traveling/relocating to other U.S. cities. It hard to navigate in Southern cities with winding road systems and pseudo-grids.
Miami, Tampa, Phoenix and Dallas are all built on a similar grid system as midwestern cities like Chicago.

Now one can argue these cities aren't "Southern" in the "Dixie" or "Antebellum" sense, but they are all cities in the Sunbelt region of the US that Chicagoans are also relocating to in droves.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:

All I will say, Chicago is without a doubt a major player globally in business, economics, finance, etc. A quick Google search will help your brain.

Yeah, that other post about Chicago was a very poor take.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:01 PM

37,929 posts, read 42,225,674 times
Quote:
Also the Rust Belt outside Chicagoland is very white...
Really? When I think "Rustbelt," I primarily think of cities like Detroit, Flint, Youngstown, Gary, Buffalo, Camden, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, etc. Pittsburgh is the only one I'd consider "very white."

Old 05-08-2021, 05:56 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,917,834 times
Quote:

Chicago is losing its edge. The Downtown skyline and nearby lakefront is gorgeous, but it's not keeping people in the state anymore. The Leaving IL topic actually reflects the Census figures.

The Midwestern mindset is very parochial, which is understandable being dead center in Middle America (far from the coasts). Also the Rust Belt outside Chicagoland is very white and the poor economy deters immigrants.

You'd better believe it. Isn't it funny how everyone living in the center of the US thinks alike, walks in lock-step, and really is shielded from the world-at-large, due to the fact they don't live on the coast. No access to the world, being a few hundred miles away from the coast. OR, is everyone on the coast, very parochial, in thinking everyone in the middle of the country is parochial. Does that make sense, or not quite? It makes as much sense as the post I'm responding to.

My gosh, if one lives in Chicago, how are they EVER going to find their way around Southern cities??? Talk about an air of superiority, KerrTown. My post is not "bullying", it's responding to your ridiculous dig at Middle America.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:08 AM

14,363 posts, read 9,263,034 times
What's causing people to leave Illinois is not parochial attitudes but rather the most inept and dysfunctional state government in the country. Chicago politicians tend to dominate it. The state has great difficulty balancing its books, and (I believe) state taxes have headed skyward as a result (I think).

But as for Midwestern parochialism in general, this Kansas City native also takes umbrage at that blanket statement. The East Coast knock on the Midwest has traditionally been that Midwesterners' outgoing friendliness (or at least that of the Midwesterners west of the Mississippi, in what I call the "agricultural" Midwest as opposed to the "industrial" one east of it) is actually very superficial and that they don't form real friendships. This too is inaccurate.

Consider all the Somalis that have been welcomed into the Twin Cities. One of them now represents Minneapolis in Congress and is a lightning rod for right-wing criticism, often of a xenophobic and anti-Muslim variety.

(South Asian) Indians, though small in number, have been making a home for themselves in my hometown thanks to a large medical-records-technology company headquartered there.

I think I might reconsider that slur were I you, KerrTown.

And as for "elitism" and the Main Line: Yeah, Main Liners can sometimes come off as snotty, but Philadelphians in general, Main Liners included, don't display the arrogance and smugness that distinguishes the denizens of many "coastal elite" cities (none more so than San Francisco), and as such, Enean's comment made perfect sense. This is in part a vestige of the city's Quaker heritage; Friends have long discouraged boastfulness, showiness and other displays of status or superiority.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:33 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,205,355 times
Quote:

That distinction would go to LI’s North Shore or Westchester/Fairfield Gold Coast.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:54 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,453,549 times
Quote:

That isn’t much of an answer. When the United States was 50% of the global economy, Chicago was globally important. The United States is now below 20% of world GDP and dropping. Chicago has a number of domestically important companies. Globally, it doesn’t have many. It temporarily has Boeing though that has 0% chance of lasting much longer. I wouldn’t call Walgreens owning Boots internationally all that significant. McDonalds?

Why would someone from Shanghai or Frankfurt care about Chicago? They might connect at O’Hare, maybe. I don’t see the “major player globally in business, economics, finance, etc”. It’s the center of commerce for the Midwest. The Midwest has been on a steep decline for decades while the rest of the world has been growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City