Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,742,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Does Chicago have an equivalent of the Main Line?
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,149 posts, read 7,624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
It takes quite an effort for a vacationer on South Beach, many who don’t need or bother to rent a car, to leave the island and plan a trip to Design District let alone Shops at Merrick Park or Sawgrass Mills....Lincoln Road Mall, on the island, does not have many of the high end stores noted in the malls I mentioned (and others not mentioned).
Well on vacay (while staying on Miami Beach), I specifically have gone up to Bal Harbour, not that far I know, Bayside in downtown, and went to Aventura one time, and then went back to my hotel after each. This is on well over double digit trips to Miami however. I've been out to Sawgrass a couple times, but those times I was actually staying in Broward and was the big mall of choice. No I would not expect the average traveler to leave South Beach to drive all the way out there.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,149 posts, read 7,624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
By definition the elite are elite.

Even cities leading this poll like Boston and NYC have a median household income of just 75k. Nothing elite about the general (especially not local) populace of any of these cities. This is where DC is notable its a city that to me-feels much more in the middle in terms of QOL COL than other cities. A lot of it just feels nice in a more uniform way. High floor, low ceiling. Thats sort of part of DC's 'eliteness' but less so almost any other city IMO I expect regular people to be more or less struggling.

Miami is elite for ultra-wealthy, vacationers, celebrities, etc. That's what matters to most folks in the case of Miami.
Ok let me ask you a question then...Is Miami more "elite" than Boston?

It does all of those things in bold 10x greater than Boston does...

Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 PM

626 posts, read 467,431 times
Let's take this poll on the street and see if Miami magically goes into the "elite" group.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 PM

7,451 posts, read 6,617,789 times
You are the exception as you’ve admittedly made double digit trips to the area which is more than the average tourist. Not certain if a person on their first or even third trip to Miami would hit (more than) one of these spots (I will rule out Bayside, as it’s more of a kitschy/t shirt destination rather than high end mall). A similarly frequent/ annual but extended stay visitor might hit these “off SoBe” establishments, but I think they are the minority, not the norm. I am not including part time residents as tourists, either; they are definitely more likely to frequent these high end retail outlets and are more likely to own a car here and drive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well on vacay (while staying on Miami Beach), I specifically have gone up to Bal Harbour, not that far I know, Bayside in downtown, and went to Aventura one time, and then went back to my hotel after each. This is on well over double digit trips to Miami however. I've been out to Sawgrass a couple times, but those times I was actually staying in Broward and was the big mall of choice. No I would not expect the average traveler to leave South Beach to drive all the way out there.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-03-2021 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 02:14 PM

21,784 posts, read 12,943,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Ok let me ask you a question then...Is Miami more "elite" than Boston?

It does all of those things in bold 10x greater than Boston does...
No IMO it’s not, but it’s different. It’s a different type of elite. Someone outlined some different types of elite on page 1 of this thread. You can’t judge all these cities on the same metric.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:19 PM

23,649 posts, read 24,209,351 times
DC, NYC, LA, Boston and San Francisco.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:28 PM

7,295 posts, read 10,643,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
NYC
That's how I voted. I'm perhaps interpreting this a bit differently and not answering this based on any type of perceived wealth (and certainly not the number of billionaires), but a combination of:

- Educational attainment
- Liberal voting history with a reputation as being progressive
- Nimby-ism (don't ask why, but I just associate it)
- Large presence of a knowledge economy (higher ed, tech, law, finance, etc.)
- Mocked / stereotyped by Middle 'Murica
Interestingly, the Philadelphia area really does tick all of those boxes (it actually matched metro NYC in 2020 in terms of Democratic voting results) and I've seen employment numbers in that put Philadelphia ahead of NYC in terms of its regional "knowledge economy" employment (per capita, of course). Philadelphia is also routinely despised by right-wingers.

I get that New York is "coastal elite" by default for being the nation's de facto center of wealth (and wealth-making, for that matter) and superlative institutions, but I think folks forget that it still a city/region with a lot of "blue collar" left in it than it gets credit for.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:33 PM

926 posts, read 574,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Does Chicago have an equivalent of the Main Line?
Wouldn't that be the North Shore, as in the North Shore line of what was the Chicago, North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad?

Coastal elite: of America's *North* Coast.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,424,190 times
Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City