Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities come to mind first as "Costal Elites"
Boston 128 57.66%
New York City 163 73.42%
Philadelphia 31 13.96%
Baltimore 6 2.70%
Washington DC 101 45.50%
Miami 38 17.12%
Seattle 64 28.83%
San Francisco 151 68.02%
San Jose 36 16.22%
Los Angeles 121 54.50%
San Diego 25 11.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,329,715 times

Advertisements

Miami has a lot of "parked" wealth. Many elites like to use it as a part time playground.

Its metro and its economy though is average or subpar. But I voted for Miami though because it is notable. That sums it up.

Whereas somewhere like LA (which is in this poll and I also voted for) has elite that live there more so full time and use as a primary residence.

I voted for Miami and LA so I don't understand a simple assessment, I think Miami is elite, its just more of a playground and not really where the rich live full time. Its economy ranks pretty low for a metro of its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,144 posts, read 7,616,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its also safe to assume we are referring to Metro Areas.
Yes, but discussing city proper as well though. Both metrics can be measured up.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No IMO it’s not, but it’s different. It’s a different type of elite. Someone outlined some different types of elite on page 1 of this thread. You can’t judge all these cities on the same metric.
But what makes Boston more elite than Miami? With less uber wealth, less flashy buildings and cars, less celebrities, nightlife lags behind Miami, and a more buttoned down populace by comparison to MIA.

What are the factors that separate any of these cities is what I'm getting at.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:46 PM

7,445 posts, read 6,607,588 times
I don’t disagree with you but this part time, or “parked”, wealth (real estate and yachts) has also attracted full time high end restaurants from NYC, DC, Europe and elsewhere, high end retail, the arts and world class annual events—which benefits many of us locals (not all of whom live on Fisher Island or Palm Beach, either) in the area. For those that cannot afford to take advantage, the world also needs bartenders and line cooks and there is more affordable housing inland...and in spite of the income disparity that exists, Miami doesn’t have anywhere close to the level of homelessness that other “better off” (some more expensive) coastal cities are experiencing.

I’ll stop at this since I’m starting to repeat myself, though more of the wealth in Miami is hidden or under the radar as far as government statistics since it relies more on small business (and retirees and foreigners and transplants who bring their wealth earned elsewhere—think of a MLB team building itself via free agency v home grown talent) than corporate industry.

No, Miami is not and never will be intellectual or corporate / career elite; it is more like conspicuous consumption or lifestyle elite, which often sets trends and inspires copycats (as well as wannabes / dreamers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Miami has a lot of "parked" wealth. Many elites like to use it as a part time playground.

Its metro and its economy though is average or subpar. But I voted for Miami though because it is notable. That sums it up.

Whereas somewhere like LA (which is in this poll) have "lived in wealth" and elite status. Its not just a playground. Its a full time daycare.

I voted for Miami and LA so I don't understand a simple assessment, I think Miami is elite, its just more of a playground and not really where the rich live full time. Its economy ranks pretty low for a metro of its size.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-03-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 03:50 PM

626 posts, read 467,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
To back up your point, sales have been surging throughout the entire MSA since Covid due to less restrictive measures in the city (and state) resulting in more relocations, especially on the high end:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.man...a-boost-222950

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...249308420.html

https://www.thenextmiami.com/pre-con...ami-in-droves/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thereal...h-florida/amp/

Yea Miami metro condo sales are blasting off now it's pretty crazy. The entire metro area is pretty much completely built out and already super infilled and dense wedged in between the Atlantic and the Everglades. How many other U.S. metros have absolutely nowhere to build by either infiling or going to the far edges of the metro? Also the majority of people coming to South Florida are from dense high-rise/skyscraper cities anyways and are used to condos already. Covid has accelerated the process a huge amount as i'm sure you've seen on the news. I can only imagine what South Florida is going to look like in a few years. The only direction left to build is up.

People act like South Florida is just going to stop growing sometime soon or something. Nah it's way too unique to the U.S. and the world to stop anytime soon. It might be a polarizing place but once someone falls in love with it they reeeaaaallllyy fall in love and will do anything possible to be there forever. I also think many well-off young people these days are realizing that South Florida has an end-game type quality to it and are just eating it up.

Last edited by popka; 03-03-2021 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 03:53 PM

21,782 posts, read 12,922,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No we aren't. Old money in Boston is centered on Beacon Hill, not Cambridgeport.

If anything, Cambridge is where all the new money is. Though the Seaport and Ink Block have that too.
But how incredibly tiny is beacon hill? Walk the whole area in 10-12 minutes. So I respect his point to an extent.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:06 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,873,225 times
Boston

Most of CT

NYC

DC

Miami but more accurately South Florida including Naples and much of Palm Beach county.

LA

SF

Seattle

Old 03-03-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I don’t disagree with you but this part time, or “parked”, wealth (real estate and yachts) has also attracted full time high end restaurants from NYC, DC, Europe and elsewhere, high end retail, the arts and world class annual events—which benefits many of us locals (not all of whom live on Fisher Island or Palm Beach, either) in the area. For those that cannot afford to take advantage, the world also needs bartenders and line cooks and there is more affordable housing inland...and in spite of the income disparity that exists, Miami doesn’t have anywhere close to the level of homelessness that other “better off” (some more expensive) coastal cities are experiencing.

I’ll stop at this since I’m starting to repeat myself, though more of the wealth in Miami is hidden or under the radar as far as government statistics since it relies more on small business (and retirees and foreigners and transplants who bring their wealth earned elsewhere—think of a MLB team building itself via free agency v home grown talent) than corporate industry.

No, Miami is not and never will be intellectual or corporate / career elite; it is more like conspicuous consumption or lifestyle elite, which often sets trends and inspires copycats (as well as wannabes / dreamers).
When Fox News throws around the term "Coastal Elite" or "elitist cities" do you think they are referring to Miami?

Old 03-03-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
But what makes Boston more elite than Miami? With less uber wealth, less flashy buildings and cars, less celebrities, nightlife lags behind Miami, and a more buttoned down populace by comparison to MIA.

What are the factors that separate any of these cities is what I'm getting at.
More elite institutions, political figures, history, old money, more educated populace.

Old 03-03-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Boston

Most of CT

NYC

DC

Miami but more accurately South Florida including Naples and much of Palm Beach county.

LA

SF

Seattle
No...not most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City