Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State does the beach the best on the East Coast??
Maine 3 1.91%
New Hampshire 1 0.64%
Massachusetts 8 5.10%
Rhode Island 2 1.27%
Connecticut 0 0%
New York 4 2.55%
New Jersey 10 6.37%
Delaware 5 3.18%
Maryland 1 0.64%
Virginia 3 1.91%
North Carolina 11 7.01%
South Carolina 13 8.28%
Georgia 2 1.27%
Florida 94 59.87%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 12:08 PM

12,265 posts, read 8,209,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
A vote for NJ here but based mainly on access. The NJ courts have done much more than NY, MA, and some others to challenge resident-only restrictions. The coastline should be a public resource. There's only so much of it and I don't think towns that happen to contain coastline should be reserving it for their own residents. What's worse, in Massachusetts and Maine (Va too?) private property continues all the way down to the low tide line and owners can keep people off their beaches, not only the dry sands part but the intertidal zone. NJ has lots of nice beaches and a variety of beach communities from wealthy and exclusive to working class. More importantly, the state courts have been active in dismantling different local exclusionary tactics. The West Coast states and Texas have been much more progressive in opening up their coastline and the beaches to a wider public than just the people privileged enough to afford coastal property or to live in a coastal community. States can purchase beaches for public use-- Mass did that to an extent at Salisbury, Nantasket, Revere, Horseneck in Westport, but beaches have gotten too expensive to make that feasible course of action. Better to reduce the rights of localities and private owners to exclude the larger public.
Fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 12:15 PM

23,767 posts, read 24,331,730 times
From what I've seen and experienced, Florida, then Massachusetts.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:18 PM

21,839 posts, read 13,058,542 times
Florida or South Carolina... but really Florida. Say anything else and you’re exiled.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:20 PM

12,265 posts, read 8,209,001 times
Let's do this poll w/o FL SC

Old 03-07-2021, 12:21 PM

21,839 posts, read 13,058,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Who in hell voted DE NJ or VA? tf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Start laughing. I really like St. Augustine. I like Cape May, NJ, and the Outer Banks, too.
Me too. But compared to Florida? Consider me laughing.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:25 PM

10,099 posts, read 6,787,834 times
The only state that can compete with Florida in USA is Hawaii.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,239,465 times
Obviously Florida
IMO best beach state in the continental US

Old 03-07-2021, 01:35 PM

801 posts, read 1,520,413 times
Florida is the obvious answer. This thread would be more interesting if FL was excluded.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:17 PM

10,099 posts, read 6,787,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Obviously Florida
IMO best beach state in the continental US
It’s not even a debate. No West Coast states matches with Florida. The only way it would be competitive is it Hawaii was included. Then it’s a debate

Old 03-07-2021, 04:29 PM

10,148 posts, read 14,593,427 times
Florida wins this for me, by far. And it's not because they have the best "overall beaches" in terms of actual sand, amenities, piers, things to do while hanging out at the beach. It's because Florida has the best *waters* of any of these areas on the east coast. Warm, good waves, and clear in parts of the Miami area and gulf coast side.

I have spent a couple of my last summer vacations in Hawaii, and the water there spoils you: clear, blue, clean, huge waves, warm.
I hate cloudy, cold, murky ocean water. No thanks. If I'm just going to the shore though, to walk on the beach, to eat, to drink or to just enjoy the sights and coastal vibe without the water, here are my top choices:

Accessibility to the beach front (less homes on the beach and more public space): Cape Cod, MA all the way
Proximity to large population centers (easy to get to the beach):A number of these could lead. I'll go with Long Island, NY or Jersey Shore, NJ, or Florida coasts.
Transportation access to the shoreline (is it easy/fast to get there): Long Island Beaches or Jersey Shore
Things to do on the beach (aka something like the boardwalk or activities right by the beach front): Jersey Shore, Myrtle Beach, Daytona Beach, Folley Beach, Virginia Beach, Rehobeth Beach, the list goes on...
Best Scenery: Cape Cod, MA-Provincetown
Best Sand (this actually differs and makes a difference): Siesta Key Beach, Florida
Best Water: Miami Beach, FL
Most Character/architecture: Provincetown, MA
Best Beach towns: Provincetown, MA
Most affordable to visit: Daytona Beach FL or Myrtle Beach, SC
Most expensive to visit: Provincetown, Hamptons in Long Island, NY
Your favorite beach town:Provincetown, MA or Folley Beach, SC
Favorite beach state:Florida all the way; second runner up is New York
Least favorite beach state: Virginia - not many beaches beyond Virginia Beach, but pretty shoreline near Maryland border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City