Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs San Diego (wealthy areas)
Miami 21 36.21%
San Diego 37 63.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 11:36 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I don't care about nightlife. Miami seems too extreme in that regard.
Hurricanes v. potential earthquakes... maybe San Diego.

The appeal of Florida is understandable on some level, but it's really flat and next to the ocean which seems like an iffy place to live, not that Cal is much better as chunks of it crumble into the sea.
San Diego doesn't seem to suffer with that though, at least not for the time being.
Florida is more politically palatable.

I guess I like being comfortably landlocked in reality, with a relatively harmless Great Lake a few blocks away. Well, harmless in the sense you don't take your jon boat out there in November...
For this, I'll take San Diego.
Actually, chunks of California will not crumble into the sea. 86% of the California coastline is rising.

And the San Andreas Fault moves horizontally, not downward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 11:58 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,234,402 times
Do people really think Palm Beach is an area of Miami -- they're 70+ miles apart. There is an entire county between them (Broward)

If we stretch the definition that far, then parts of Orange County would be in play for San Diego. But playing along...

South Florida has some beautiful places, but it cannot match the topography of California. Many well-to-do Floridians keep another house somewhere else in the world, often in the western half of the US, so they might enjoy mountains, ranchland, expansive vistas -- many of these people have places in both California and Florida.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM

961 posts, read 722,529 times
San Diego for me, and frankly not close. San Diego has always been the place I'd love to move to, but probably never will. And Miami is the place that I've never really loved, which probably just says more about me than Miami since I know a lot of people that whose favorite city is Miami.

Love San Diego's weather, love the landscape, and I especially love the north county area for the nice beach towns.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:35 PM

626 posts, read 463,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Do people really think Palm Beach is an area of Miami -- they're 70+ miles apart. There is an entire county between them (Broward)

Yeah the amount of wealth that just keeps going and going up the coast forever is frankly incredible. I think the main reason why people group Palm Beach in with Miami a lot of the time is because the entire metro area is super dense with no development topography gaps or even any room for infill at all and is completely built out and flat sandwiched in between the Atlantic and the Everglades. The entire metro area also has a strong unique South Florida lifestyle and mindset while most other metros don't even have a unique lifestyle or mindset to speak of at all.

Add that to the fact that the entire metro area lies only in Florida and is super uniform and organized on a phenomenal grid and it's not hard to see why many people consider the entire metro area kind of like one huge city in a way. Since there's such a large variety spectrum of different areas and culture enclaves down there for people to enjoy that stretches from Miami to Palm Beach they really do all come together in a beautiful chaotic harmony of sand and sun for many people that live and visit there.

Last edited by popka; 03-11-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 12:39 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Palm Beach (and even up to Jupiter) IS part of the Miami MSA. Based on its geographic limitations of the Everglades to the West it is a long but narrow geographic area.

Including Palm Beach or Broward does not diminish the wealth, wealthy neighborhoods, and amenities that attract wealthy people (full time residents or not) to Miami Dade County within the MSA. If we back out Palm Beach and Broward counties should we back out North County from the rest of San Diego?

Brightline higher speed rail provides an alternative to driving and has increased connectivity between Miami and Palm Beach in recent years (soon to be expanded to Orlando and beyond).

Quote:

If we stretch the definition that far, then parts of Orange County would be in play for San Diego. But playing along...

South Florida has some beautiful places, but it cannot match the topography of California. Many well-to-do Floridians keep another house somewhere else in the world, often in the western half of the US, so they might enjoy mountains, ranchland, expansive vistas -- many of these people have places in both California and Florida.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-11-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 12:55 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:

Uh, absolutely. Miami metro includes Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Places like Boca have a huge Miami influence and quite a bit commute well south. It’s also the general definition of “South Florida”, which is more consistently used as a cultural reference over a geographical area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida

Also, many well to do Californians also have homes elsewhere. Mostly in New York or Miami. I’m seeing a trend here.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:47 PM

626 posts, read 463,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh, absolutely. Miami metro includes Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. Places like Boca have a huge Miami influence and quite a bit commute well south. It’s also the general definition of “South Florida”, which is more consistently used as a cultural reference over a geographical area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Florida

Also, many well to do Californians also have homes elsewhere. Mostly in New York or Miami. I’m seeing a trend here.

Let's not forget all the people who drive down to Miami and Miami Beach for the crazy amount of wild nightlife there. I mean we're talking world renowned stuff here. I know some people from Northern Palm Beach County who make a monthly trip to Miami just to go on a week-long nightlife adventure. The drive from Palm Beach to Miami seems really short when you think about just how extremely far ahead the Miami area is for nightlife compared to the entire U.S. outside of NYC. Especially these days. It really is almost laughable.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
San Diego, and it's not even close for me.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:26 PM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Miami’s bigger and has a whole different feel. San Diego has all the military, surf culture, Tijuana etc.

San Diego though probably out does So Fla for quality of life and is definitely a better place to raise kids.

Lived in both places and I hope Miami So Fla has improved from the bad ol 90’s I remember. Gangs, gangs and more gangs.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:35 PM

156 posts, read 174,074 times
Quote:

People don't think it is - they know it is, because it is. Miami metro is massive, roughly 120 miles north to south; from Homestead to Jupiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City