Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Phoenix
Atlanta 69 60.00%
Phoenix 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 08:35 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,324,179 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Phoenix and almost relocated to Atlanta a few years ago for a job, so I'm pretty familiar with the comparisons:

1. Downtown Atlanta
2. Walkability Atlanta
3. Scenery Tie. Phoenix has the beautiful mountains (such as Camelback) but street level is to Atlanta, due to lush/greenery and rolling hills
4. Climate Phoenix. Summers are more intense but on balance year-round, it has more beautiful weather
5. Things to do Atlanta. Mainly because its just a bit larger in terms of metro area
6. Food scene Atlanta
7. Safety Phoenix. Atlanta seems to have a higher crime rate, although I lived in a nice area of Phoenix and would've chosen a nice suburban area of Atlanta, so doubt that'd effect me day-to-day
8. QOL Tie. Better for outdoors/recreation in Phoenix but better job market in Atlanta
9. COL Atlanta
10. Housing Atlanta. More options and you can get a more palatial place in the suburbs
11. Transportation car and public Tie. MARTA beats the light rail in Phoenix big time, but I think the road
infrastructure is better in Phoenix

12. Suburbs Atlanta. More options and better developed town centers vs Phoenix suburbs being mainly strip malls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 05:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,288,669 times
Been living in Phoenix for 7 years and worked in ATL several years ago.

1. Downtown - Atlanta. Phoenix has been getting better but only just got a supermarket downtown. Atlanta has a very established downtown plus connected uptown.
2. Walkability - Atlanta. Atlanta isn't walkable but Phoenix isn't walkable at all. The 6 lane roads are extremely dangerous for pedestrians, Atlanta's narrow roads are better.
3. Scenery - Atlanta if you like green, Phoenix for sunsets and desert landscape.
4. Climate - Atlanta. I used to think southeast summers were terrible until it got up 120F in Phoenix and it was still 105F at night.
5. Things to do - if you're an outdoors person, Phoenix is awesome. if you like music, concerts, history, etc. Atlanta is mostly better
6. Food scene - Atlanta for everything but Mexican and Southwestern. Atlanta is more diverse and the cuisine reflects that.
7. Safety - either one, just live in a safe neighborhood.
8. QOL - this depends on your lifestyle. Outdoor person would like Phoenix, city person would probably like Atlanta more
9. COL - both are pretty cheap, Phoenix is climbing quickly with the influx of Californians
10. Housing - see above
11. Transportation car and public - Phoenix if driving by car, which is most people in either city. Atlanta if taking public transit
12. Suburbs - suburbs suck

I wish Phoenix was a lot more walkable, had a better downtown, and it didn't go up above 110 in the summer. Then it would be near perfect. Unfortunately it isn't so I'm probably going to leave. It's still a great city, I'd recommend it to anyone who is outdoorsy and doesn't mind heat.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
That has to be the lamest attempt to compare two downtowns. I know that Atlanta has a better downtown, but did you really need to post a google map of further out from the CBD of downtown Phoenix where there was the least amount of buildings?

Also, Phoenix is closer to a beach (Puerto Penasco) than Atlanta is to one.
Uh, Phoenix to Rocky Point is 4 hours. Atlanta to Savannah is 3.6 hours. It's pretty negligible but Atlanta is closer to a beach.

EDIT: Atlanta to Tybee Island is 4 hours and 3 minutes. They're the same time away from the beach but in Atlanta you don't have to deal with crossing an international border or having a passport.

Last edited by orlando-calrissian; 03-17-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Umm, is that really something people think about? I guess if that bugged you a lot you can get a car with auto-start and pre-cool it before you get in.
I live in Phoenix. I actively avoid making trips between 11am-7pm anytime between late May and early September. Getting a car with those features is pretty expensive. It's something most people that have to park outside have to think about.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I live in Phoenix. I actively avoid making trips between 11am-7pm anytime between late May and early September. Getting a car with those features is pretty expensive. It's something most people that have to park outside have to think about.
My car can't have remote start because it has a manual transmission (have to push the clutch pedal in to be able to start it)

Old 03-18-2021, 10:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,765,518 times
Quote:
I've been here for 20 years, I do not make any changes to my errands schedule in the summer versus winter. Even when my car is parked outside, I can suck it up for a bit until the A/C cools down the car. I also ride my bike home from work in the summer, roughly 5-6pm and 30-45 minutes, I can tolerate it alright as the sun is lower in the horizon by that point in the day.

Lucky for us you don't have to buy a new car just to add remote start. There are many factors to remote car starter installation cost. In addition to the pricetag of the starter itself, you may need to purchase a bypass module to make it compatible with your vehicle. Generally, you can expect anywhere from $150 to $500 for professional installation of a remote car starter.

Last edited by locolife; 03-18-2021 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 12:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,765,518 times
Quote:

I wish Phoenix was a lot more walkable, had a better downtown, and it didn't go up above 110 in the summer. Then it would be near perfect. Unfortunately it isn't so I'm probably going to leave. It's still a great city, I'd recommend it to anyone who is outdoorsy and doesn't mind heat.
Similar story to every city, just check the CD threads. I wish New York was cheaper and winter wasn't so cold. I wish San Francisco didn't have such a homeless problem. I wish Houston was less humid. I wish Boston had a longer summer.

Everyone should be lucky enough to find their happy place to live but when the description of "perfect" is used I get the sense the bar is higher than any reality.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,967,790 times
Quote:
Similar story to every city, just check the CD threads. I wish New York was cheaper and winter wasn't so cold. I wish San Francisco didn't have such a homeless problem. I wish Houston was less humid. I wish Boston had a longer summer.

Everyone should be lucky enough to find their happy place to live but when the description of "perfect" is used I get the sense the bar is higher than any reality.
Once you find that perfect, it won't be perfect anymore because droves of people will pour in. Just find what checks the most boxes for you.

Having lived in both, I prefer Arizona. Atlanta is still a great city, just my preference.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I've been here for 20 years, I do not make any changes to my errands schedule in the summer versus winter. Even when my car is parked outside, I can suck it up for a bit until the A/C cools down the car. I also ride my bike home from work in the summer, roughly 5-6pm and 30-45 minutes, I can tolerate it alright as the sun is lower in the horizon by that point in the day.

Lucky for us you don't have to buy a new car just to add remote start. There are many factors to remote car starter installation cost. In addition to the pricetag of the starter itself, you may need to purchase a bypass module to make it compatible with your vehicle. Generally, you can expect anywhere from $150 to $500 for professional installation of a remote car starter.
You're a stronger person than I am. I used to play flag football in summers around 6pm. Never again. Physical activity at 115F was immensely unpleasant.

$150 to $500 is a lot of money, but that would be a nice addition to a car. I would much rather the city/county focus on building parking lots covered with solar panels to take advantage of the near constant sun.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:

I didn't mention those cities because for me, they have a lot more problems than Phoenix does. Everyone has a perfect place in mind.

As I've said previously, I think Phoenix is a great place and I have and continue to recommend the city to people looking for things that it boasts. This was not a slight on the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City