Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Phoenix
Atlanta 69 60.00%
Phoenix 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 09:07 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Is there some misconception about Atlanta's transit? Marta has a daily ridership of around 175,000 people (8th highest in the nation and right behind Philly) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Don't forget to add light rail ridership in for total system use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 09:12 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Don't most cities have terrible weather for walking some part of the year? In Phoenix you're not likely to get rained or snowed on, for me personally that's a terrible walking day. For most months of the year the mornings are quite comfortable and the afternoons can be warm, but you're leaving work at that point anyways.

I personally commute by bicycle quite a bit in Phoenix, taking advantage of the network of canal paths around the valley. It's quite pleasant most of the year, there are about 12 weeks during monsoon season when the mornings are really warm due to the increase in humidity but those on average are probably still low humidity days by Atlanta standards.

There are cities in which more time could be spent walking as a means of transport than these two.
Yeah, I’ll take dry Phoenix over humid Atlanta all day every day. Anything above 70 when humid or 80 when dry starts to become uncomfortable to me though. Both of these cities are kind of extreme with their climates.
I live on the shores of Lake Michigan where there might be a week or two in the dead of winter and a week or two in the middle of summer in which it’s not particularly pleasant to go for a walk.
Even in my dinky little town we have sidewalks everywhere, city busses, and intercity busses, so there are a number of people here that get by just fine without a car. Walkable also requires infrastructure, not just weather.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM

848 posts, read 1,121,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Don't forget to add light rail ridership in for total system use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership
Transit is so popular in Atlanta, GA that people are fighting to expand it. NOT.

https://www.govtech.com/transportati...oted-Down.html

Meanwhile...in Phoenix...

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/08/...ve-light-rail/

Old 03-10-2021, 09:22 AM

38 posts, read 23,406 times
If I had to choose, I’d pick Phoenix because I like the scenery more and I prefer being out west. I would be okay in Atlanta though. I think Atlanta would win with transit and maybe food outside of Mexican/Southwestern.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:31 AM

11,851 posts, read 8,062,791 times
Mexican in Atlanta is actually surprisingly well for a Southeastern city. Check out the suburbs of Norcross and Lilburn/Tucker. Very good Mexican in those vicinities. I live in TX but there are Mexican restaurants in ATL that I miss.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 AM

16,717 posts, read 29,574,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Mexican in Atlanta is actually surprisingly well for a Southeastern city. Check out the suburbs of Norcross and Lilburn/Tucker. Very good Mexican in those vicinities. I live in TX but there are Mexican restaurants in ATL that I miss.
Yes. I tell people in New England/Boston all the time, Atlanta has surprisingly good Mexican food.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
There are cities in which more time could be spent walking as a means of transport than these two.
Yeah, I’ll take dry Phoenix over humid Atlanta all day every day. Anything above 70 when humid or 80 when dry starts to become uncomfortable to me though. Both of these cities are kind of extreme with their climates.
I live on the shores of Lake Michigan where there might be a week or two in the dead of winter and a week or two in the middle of summer in which it’s not particularly pleasant to go for a walk.
Even in my dinky little town we have sidewalks everywhere, city busses, and intercity busses, so there are a number of people here that get by just fine without a car. Walkable also requires infrastructure, not just weather.
That sounds like a pretty personal preference, for me the entire stretch from Thanksgiving to St. Patrick's Day and sometimes later than that can be pretty unpleasant to walk in Chicago (since Lake Michigan is mentioned). Of course there can be nicer periods of days, when the sun comes out and the wind isn't blowing, but on average that period of time can be tough especially if you're more adapted to a warm climate like me.

If you work 8-5 like a lot of us do, during the worst time of the year warm cities offer a decent outdoor comfort at the time of day you're off work (mornings and evenings). Whereas in cold cities, during the worst time of the year, it's just colder than mid-day at the time you're off and able to take a walk or exercise outdoor. You can adapt to both, I've personally done a very cold climate in the Northeast and have been in Phoenix for a combined 20 years. My preference is the warm weather though.

You're spot on on infrastructure, I agree with that. Vegas has strong pedestrian activity all summer long despite warm temps. That was my point earlier, I don't think Phoenix has low walkability due to the weather, I think it's primarily due to the design of the city. That is changing as it grows and matures now.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

What kind of Mexican cuisine are we talking? Sonoran, Oaxacan, New Mexican, Bajacaliforniano, Poblano, Tex-Mex (gasp)?

I do realize outside of the Southwest most people will call Mexican simply burritos and tacos. Which is a miss for country with such a diverse culinary scene.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:51 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,318,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But Atlanta has a much better airport, which is considered public transportation. And a proper beltway. Phoenix has no beltway at all. And then there's MARTA, which is excellent, reliable and enjoyable to ride.

I've done a ton of tech business in Atlanta. From my point of view, the airport is awful. It's on the wrong side of the city. MARTA doesn't go remotely near the northern 'burbs where all the tech is so I have to rent a car and drive. The airport drive to get home is always abysmal traffic. ATL is a pretty awful airport for rental car, skytrain, security, train to concourse, walk to gate to catch a flight. I've waited an hour in the TSA Pre line. There's more to an airport than the number of bodies it pushes through a hub. I have to allocate an extra hour from leaving the office building to arriving at the gate. I'll take Phoenix any day.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:52 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,725,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've done a ton of tech business in Atlanta. From my point of view, the airport is awful. It's on the wrong side of the city. MARTA doesn't go remotely near the northern 'burbs where all the tech is so I have to rent a car and drive. The airport drive to get home is always abysmal traffic. ATL is a pretty awful airport for rental car, skytrain, security, train to concourse, walk to gate to catch a flight. I've waited an hour in the TSA Pre line. There's more to an airport than the number of bodies it pushes through a hub. I have to allocate an extra hour from leaving the office building to arriving at the gate. I'll take Phoenix any day.
Atlanta is far from the worst city when it comes to the location of its airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City