Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Phoenix
Atlanta 69 60.00%
Phoenix 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 05:47 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is an Atlanta vs Phoenix thread. Sky Harbor is way easier on humans. It's also located east of Phoenix. My business travel tends to be Tempe and Chandler which are right there. Scottsdale is close. South of Atlanta is working class and low income sprawl. The affluent people and the tech are north of the city.
Its true there are more lower income communities in the South as their are also affluent and solidly middle class areas, but its hardly poor or as you described. There are poor communities West, East as well up North.Parts of Norcross,Marietta,Stone Mountain etc
Fayette County is in the top 5 most affluent counties in the state of Georgia and its South. Atlanta is not Silicon Valley. Everyone of means is not in tech.The airport
There are affluent areas in the South. Driving down the interstate doesnt make u know what a place is like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 05:48 AM

2,368 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
What wider array of day trips?
I think I used the wrong word for day trip. I meant places you can get to within like a reasonable day's drive ~6 hours or something

Old 03-11-2021, 05:54 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
About, but not quite.

Phoenix to Puerto Penasco - 212.3 mile drive
Atlanta to Tybee Island - 267.2 mile drive
Not enough to matter for practical reasons

Old 03-11-2021, 07:03 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Not enough to matter for practical reasons
My response was for informational data, not whether or not it matters enough to you for practical reasons. I'm getting an eerie sense of deja vu with this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-metro-13.html

Old 03-11-2021, 10:58 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
I've done a ton of tech business in Atlanta. From my point of view, the airport is awful. It's on the wrong side of the city. MARTA doesn't go remotely near the northern 'burbs where all the tech is so I have to rent a car and drive.The airport drive to get home is always abysmal traffic. ATL is a pretty awful airport for rental car, skytrain, security, train to concourse, walk to gate to catch a flight. I've waited an hour in the TSA Pre line. There's more to an airport than the number of bodies it pushes through a hub. I have to allocate an extra hour from leaving the office building to arriving at the gate. I'll take Phoenix any day.
Absolutely not true. There are 4 train stations serving the Central Perimeter area, with a single seat ride from inside of the Airport on the Red line. If one needed to go further north to Alpharetta, it's a quick uber or lyft ride from the end of the line at North Springs

Old 03-11-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
It's part of the regional transit system unless the county was going to build it's own isolated system...which doesn't make any sense.
Well, Gwinnett already has its own isolated system. It is also served by multiple park and ride locations for the State-run Xpress bus network for suburban commuters. I wouldn't have voted yes either if I lived in Gwinnett, and I'm pro-transit. The rail line proposed was a joke, and wouldn't have served the large majority of the County.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm just slamming airport access.

My business trips to Atlanta have always been cable-oriented. Cox, Broadcom, Arris-now Commscope, Cisco that was Scientific Atlanta, Technicolor that got the SA CPE business unit, and other related smaller firms. Other than conventions, it's all from Perimeter and points north.
It's a prosperous, attractive place. It's just painful getting to the airport after working all day.
Cox is located about 1/4 mile from 2 train stations, with about a 40 minute ride to the Airport. Most locals prefer it over the awful grind that is 400 to the Connector in pm rush. There are company operated shuttles from Cox to both stations.

Old 03-11-2021, 12:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Here are a few more activity-centric areas of downtown Phoenix, as opposed to the edge of the city on a major thoroughfare.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4534...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4477...!7i2508!8i1254

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4477...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by locolife; 03-11-2021 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 01:48 PM

157 posts, read 137,646 times
I've been to both and have considered moving to both. The location of the airport wasn't on my mind in either case.

The only part that sucks about ATL is the long escalator rides, but the trains and lines are usually lightning fast. They will scream at people in ATL if you are holding up the line. I'm guessing someone from Phoenix wouldn't be used to all that energy.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:07 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Here are a few more activity-centric areas of downtown Phoenix, as opposed to the edge of the city on a major thoroughfare.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4534...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4477...!7i2508!8i1254

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4477...7i16384!8i8192
Cool, these are areas on the edge of Downtown Atlanta. (There are areas better than this but don't want to be unfair by including Midtown/West Midtown/O4W)
Edgewood Ave/Sweet Auburn
Walker St/Castleberry Hill
Fulton St/Mechanicsville

I have a ton of respect for Phoenix and love the look of the desert landscape but Atlanta's just ahead of Phoenix when it comes to building walking-friendly neighborhoods. A ton of older walkable areas in Atlanta were abandoned during the white flight era but they are experiencing massive redevelopment now. It's not a slight toward Phoenix as a whole as it's a newer city and I'd love to see future efforts toward creating a more walkable Phoenix with more areas like this. Both cities have a ton of work to do to match older NEtern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City