Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:17 PM

828 posts, read 650,992 times

Advertisements

Nashville....a bit, but not a ton. It's a pretty major outlier in the South IMO in lots of ways (not physical layout so much but in most other ways). Very odd vibe (although I do really like visiting) for a Southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 10:55 PM

382 posts, read 489,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Nashville....a bit, but not a ton. It's a pretty major outlier in the South IMO in lots of ways (not physical layout so much but in most other ways). Very odd vibe (although I do really like visiting) for a Southern city.
I'm interested to know what gives Nashville an odd vibe to you. Is this a good thing? Bad thing?

Old 03-22-2021, 10:20 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Quote:
Really? It was about as country and southern as it gets when I was there.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:06 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,982,480 times
Its kind of hard to comment on Black culture in a city I haven't lived in full time.

There is Black culture there just like Cincinnati, Jacksonville and Tampa. It isn't the same culture as mentioned cities but there is a culture there based upon demographics, education, migration and how the area treats the community.

I don't expect Nashville to be anything like Atlanta or Memphis. They are different places.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:49 PM

117 posts, read 81,058 times
Nashville is not exceptionally diverse, but it does have a substantial Black population - it's 55% White, 28% Black, 10% hispanic, and 3% Asian.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:50 PM

117 posts, read 81,058 times
Quote:
Can you explain? It feels pretty Southern to me.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:20 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,481,283 times
Recently moved to Nashville a few months back and had an opportunity to attend one of the Juneteenth Celebrations down on 5th and Broadway at the Block party on the rooftop, very nice event. It was tons of events celebrating black culture and Juneteenth over the weekend in the Nashville Metro area including the repainting and refreshing up of the Black lives Matter Mural near Nissan Stadium...Must say the black culture and heritage is very present in Nashville, always has been just not so much all in your face and more blended...

https://wpln.org/post/people-came-fr...merican-music/

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/na...on-woodland-st

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...re/7591724002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...re/7715994002/

Old 06-25-2021, 11:21 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Recently moved to Nashville a few months back and had an opportunity to attend one of the Juneteenth Celebrations down on 5th and Broadway at the Block party on the rooftop, very nice event. It was tons of events celebrating black culture and Juneteenth over the weekend in the Nashville Metro area including the repainting and refreshing up of the Black lives Matter Mural near Nissan Stadium...Must say the black culture and heritage is very present in Nashville, always has been just not so much all in your face and more blended...

https://wpln.org/post/people-came-fr...merican-music/

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/na...on-woodland-st

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...re/7591724002/

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...re/7715994002/
I'm glad you were finally able to make that move to a city that really appeals to you. Now update your location in your profile lol.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:23 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,282,743 times
Disclaimer: East Coast perspective....and yes, I have been to Nashville, as recently as last year.

Yes, it gets a bit overlooked but Nashville is off the beaten path of the east coast Black radar scene even with a historical HBCU presence. And that Black culture isn't dominant in the city/metro. Though, the country music stereotype doesn't help at all. Simply put, most of the mid-size and major cities/metros on the east coast have significant Black populations with some level of connection. There's also shared knowledge and familiarity whether Atlanta, RDU, Charlotte, Tidewater, DC, etc. All of these metros had meaningful Juneteenth celebrations, Black cultural events on a regular....you name it.

For places like where I live in Durham with already a lot of Black people/diversity (without including Raleigh) it's a tough sell to market a city as a Black culture differentiator unless the size of DC or Atlanta. Especially when it isn't part of that city/metro brand whether through historical perspective or word of mouth.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:38 PM

592 posts, read 593,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Disclaimer: East Coast perspective....and yes, I have been to Nashville, as recently as last year.

Yes, it gets a bit overlooked but Nashville is off the beaten path of the east coast Black radar scene even with a historical HBCU presence. And that Black culture isn't dominant in the city/metro. Though, the country music stereotype doesn't help at all. Simply put, most of the mid-size and major cities/metros on the east coast have significant Black populations with some level of connection. There's also shared knowledge and familiarity whether Atlanta, RDU, Charlotte, Tidewater, DC, etc. All of these metros had meaningful Juneteenth celebrations, Black cultural events on a regular....you name it.

For places like where I live in Durham with already a lot of Black people/diversity (without including Raleigh) it's a tough sell to market a city as a Black culture differentiator unless the size of DC or Atlanta. Especially when it isn't part of that city/metro brand whether through historical perspective or word of mouth.
It would make sense that Nashville isn’t on the radar for Black folk on the east coast, given it’s closer to the Midwest. Heck, I could drive to Chicago about the same time it would take me to get to Charlotte. This plays out historically as well, during the great migrations A lot of Black people from Middle and West Tennessee tended to migrate to points directly north due to proximity to cities like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland etc where as in the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia migration geared towards the Northeast. Now that there’s a reverse migration of sorts, a lot of Black people are just moving back down south where they have family ties or roots i.e. Blacks in the Midwest to southern states like Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama and Northeastern Blacks to Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia etc.

Last edited by jkc2j; 06-25-2021 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City