Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:20 PM

365 posts, read 231,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
San Diego city came a long way from 179 homicides in 1991.
https://apnews.com/article/a1b8a3949...9fd2f31f9ec951
I'm thinking a lot of the criminal element was pushed out to the suburbs. But 61 homicides for 1.9 million in the suburbs equates to a rate of 3.2 per 100,000. 116 homicides for a county/metro comes to 3.5 per. 100,000. San Diego city slightly edges out the burbs in murders per capita. Typically, the city limits have much higher rates than their suburban counterpart, but San Diego has pretty much become one massive suburb itself in a sense.
Have you looked at 1991 for all cities? They were virtually all much, much higher than they are now. Per capita San Diego was still relatively safe. Not sure why people have a hard time giving San Diego and other big CA cities the credit they deserve for having low murder rates. And CA has literally some of the safest mid-sized cities too, places like Thousand Oaks and Sunnyvale.
P
Yes, there are some high crime cities and ghetto areas. CA is the largest state in the US, of course it’s going to have those types of places. But zoom out - 50,000 foot view - and you can’t deny CA has among the safest large and medium-sized cities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
And that was probably still relatively low compared to the rest of the US cities back in 1991. Back then LA was well over 1000 and NYC over 2K.
Basically even at the single worst year in its entire history--during the height of a drug and gang epidemic-- San Diego had a murder rate comparable to the decades-low rates that Wichita, Pittsburgh, and Nashville are experiencing today. Honestly, I don't even consider those cities particularly dangerous...

Old 03-21-2021, 04:48 PM

6,571 posts, read 12,076,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Have you looked at 1991 for all cities? They were virtually all much, much higher than they are now. Per capita San Diego was still relatively safe. Not sure why people have a hard time giving San Diego and other big CA cities the credit they deserve for having low murder rates. And CA has literally some of the safest mid-sized cities too, places like Thousand Oaks and Sunnyvale.
P
Yes, there are some high crime cities and ghetto areas. CA is the largest state in the US, of course it’s going to have those types of places. But zoom out - 50,000 foot view - and you can’t deny CA has among the safest large and medium-sized cities in the country.
But bottom line it's still in the US, so talking about the safest place in the US is like bragging about the most intelligent person in a group of all idiots.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:36 PM

365 posts, read 231,477 times
Quote:
But bottom line it's still in the US, so talking about the safest place in the US is like bragging about the most intelligent person in a group of all idiots.
Compared to other developed countries, yes. But compared to - for example - South America, Africa or Iraq it’s significantly safer.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:56 PM

914 posts, read 1,089,226 times
Quote:
P
St. Louis has a higher murder rate than Irvine's entire violent crime rate combined.

There's only a handful of cities in CA that are truly bad. Oakland, Stockton, and Compton are the only cities I'd say are up there with the worst. I'll even throw in San Bernardino for good measure. That's 4 mid-sized cities out of a population of 40 million. The rest just get moderately bad, but nothing out of control; Vallejo, Modesto, Richmond, etc etc. After that, it's dozens of safe/tame cities that boast populations of 100k-300k a pop.

The small amount of dangerous cities does not outweigh the overwhelming amount of safe cities.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,872,058 times
Quote:
Oakland is really the only exception as far as major CA cities go.
San Bernandino and Vallejo have higher rates than Oakland.

Metro Bakersfield has one of the highest homicide rates in the United States for a metropolitan area.

The only reason why California looks better than some states is because of the very low rates in San Jose, San Diego, San Francisco and Orange/Ventura Counties.

Vallejo had 29 homicides with just over 100,000 population.

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr...s-during-2020/

San Bernadino had 69 homicides with a population of just over 200,000

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/12/19/man...des-this-year/

The Bakersfield metropolitan has one of the highest homicide rates of any metropolitan area it's size or larger

139 homicides with a metro population of 900,000 individuals

https://www.kget.com/homicide-tracke...nty-homicides/

Old 03-21-2021, 09:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,206,764 times
Quote:
P
Yes, from a 1991 context, San Diego still had among the lowest rates. I was pointing how at one point that San Diego city had more murders than what the entire county experienced in 2020. It was able to reduced murders and rate to matching the rate of its own low murder rate suburbs as a whole, which is a distinction from other big metros. It exemplifies what a big city in the US can be in terms of safety.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:11 PM

6,571 posts, read 12,076,216 times
The 2020's might be bad, but nowhere near the level of the Early 1990's. LA had the image of being dangerous and scary as depicted in films such as Boyz N The Hood, Menace II Society, and Falling Down and with the '92 riots. Most cities hit a 40 year low about 5-10 years ago bottoming out from a steady decline since the late 1990's, and then saw spikes in 2015-16, slightly dipping in 2017-19, and then spiking higher in 2020-now. Right now many cities are matching the rates of about 20 years ago.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:19 PM

824 posts, read 715,516 times
Quote:
The 2020's might be bad, but nowhere near the level of the Early 1990's. LA had the image of being dangerous and scary as depicted in films such as Boyz N The Hood, Menace II Society, and Falling Down and with the '92 riots. Most cities hit a 40 year low about 5-10 years ago bottoming out from a steady decline since the late 1990's, and then saw spikes in 2015-16, slightly dipping in 2017-19, and then spiking higher in 2020-now. Right now many cities are matching the rates of about 20 years ago.
I think added context is also important, it seems like it’s homicides specifically which are going up while other crime types are lower. I remember reading an article on Chicago’s crime from the 1990s and it mentioned how there were something like 7,500 shooting victims, I think 2016, which was the worst year in a long time had 4,000 or so shooting victims. And that’s not including assaults, stabbings etc, it seems like you were a lot more likely to be attacked, robbed etc in general back in the 90s, 80s, 70s. Also, a lot of the cities core areas had bottomed out, where a lot of cities nowadays have varying levels of gentrification, renovations, new construction. Though, it seems like a lot of middle class and working class areas in inner-cities have now either become more poor/worse crime like Austin in Chicago or became really gentrified and expensive.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:53 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,937,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Crime was up in 2020 and murder was no exception.

I calculated murder rates by city for this thread. The way its done is that you take the number of murders in a city, divide it by the population of the city, then multiply by 100,000 to get the number.

Anyway here is what I came up with. If it says "projection" next to it, it means that I could only obtain partial data regarding it from the PD. For the ones saying "projection", allow a 5% margin of error. In all cases I have data into December but not the full year. For the projected ones, I erred on the lower side.

I did calculate these manually and I am human so if you feel something looks off, let me know and well look at it!

East St. Louis: 135.7 (projection)
St. Louis: 87.1
Jackson, MS: 79.6
Flint, MI: 63.1
Baltimore: 56.4
Memphis: 51.0
New Orleans: 50.0
Detroit: 48.8
Where did you get the number for Flint from? I calculated a rate of 57.6 using the data from Flint police: link. There were 55 homicides, with a population of 95.5k this gives a homicide rate of 57.6.

In addition, apparently a 51 year old man went missing and likely got shot on 31st of December: article in Mlive. So, 56 homicides gives a rate of 58.6.

A homicide rate of 58.6 is nothing to write home about but 63.1 seems a bit too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City