Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Upper South city or metro has the strongest "southern" feel?
Nashville 51 62.96%
Louisville 4 4.94%
Charlotte 7 8.64%
Raleigh/Durham 6 7.41%
Richmond 9 11.11%
Other 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That phrase sounds so southern.
It's been around for 4+ decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 06:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
I heard (from people living in Raleigh) Cary was: Can’t Afford Raleigh Yet.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:44 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
Nashville feels Midwestern? Do you mean like as in how Louisville can have a somewhat Midwest feel to people from further South?
Nashville is close to the Midwest and does have some influences. Not enough to confuse it from being distinctly southern though. A lot of people from Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois seem to be moving here for work.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:53 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I heard (from people living in Raleigh) Cary was: Can’t Afford Raleigh Yet.
Very old school, much less heard than the Yankees one.

My mom went to Cary High in the 70s, as the first wave of IBMers came to the area. Northerners moved to North Raleigh and Cary, but Cary being smaller meant they had an outsized presence there. I think the Can’t afford came from this time when Cary was cheaper. Subsequent waves pushed the prices up.

Last edited by Heel82; 03-24-2021 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Very old school, much less heard than the Yankees one.

My mom went to Cary High in the 70s, as the first wave of IBMers came to the area. They moved to North Raleigh and Cary, but Cary being smaller meant they had an outsized presence there. I think the Can’t afford came from this time when Cary was cheaper. Subsequent waves pushed the prices up.
I heard it from 30 something hipsters about 10 years ago. None were from NC (IL, VA and MS). I think it was just a more hip acronym because it was bitchy while not so provincial (I don’t know anyone that is comfortable saying the “Y” word in a negative way). Raleigh was blowing up at the time too (when isn’t it?) so it was the more expensive (per square foot) location.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:27 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
They must have heard it from older neighbors and/or they live ITB.

As for the Y-word, it’s not really in a negative way. More cheeky. But also I feel weird calling it the Y-word. That would be a way you know you aren’t in the South, if that word bothers you.

Circling back, if anyone wants to see what a Southern downtown used to be like before people started chasing Atlanta, Durham is definitely retro. Sleepy in places, minor league baseball, proportional scale.

Last edited by Heel82; 03-24-2021 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 10:31 PM

393 posts, read 262,224 times
Easily Nashville.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:47 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Probably Nashville because of the country music industry.

Richmond seems to be distancing itself from the South despite being the former capital of the South. There's now talk of removing the statues on Monument Avenue, one of the classically Southern features of the city.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:30 AM

Those monuments have already been removed. Many more were removed from Church Hill, the Capitol grounds, Monroe Park and a few parks in the Fan...Columbus and Harry Flood Byrd are gone too (the architect of Massive Resistance in Virginia).

Lee is the only one still up because it is state property (so the city couldn’t remove it). The state voted to remove it but some residents along Monument are fighting it in court. I really don’t get trying to save it at this point. In no universe does it stay up and not get tagged at least once a week for the next decade. I doubt it could be cleaned at this point too.
Lots of money has been earmarked by the state to replace the monuments and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is leading the project.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:49 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Those monuments have already been removed. Many more were removed from Church Hill, the Capitol grounds, Monroe Park and a few parks in the Fan...Columbus and Harry Flood Byrd are gone too (the architect of Massive Resistance in Virginia).

Lee is the only one still up because it is state property (so the city couldn’t remove it). The state voted to remove it but some residents along Monument are fighting it in court. I really don’t get trying to save it at this point. In no universe does it stay up and not get tagged at least once a week for the next decade. I doubt it could be cleaned at this point too.
Lots of money has been earmarked by the state to replace the monuments and the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is leading the project.
That is great news. Seems like the monuments only dragged down Richmond's image. Maybe the hope is that the city can attract more business being both southern and progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City