Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major city would prosper the most from a reduction in crime?
DC 1 1.14%
Philadelphia 12 13.64%
Milwaukee 1 1.14%
New Orleans 4 4.55%
KCMO 1 1.14%
Cincinnati 1 1.14%
Indianapolis 2 2.27%
St Louis 12 13.64%
Detroit 11 12.50%
Cleveland 1 1.14%
Birmingham 2 2.27%
Atlanta 6 6.82%
Hartford 0 0%
Baltimore 27 30.68%
Memphis 4 4.55%
Other 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,082 times

Advertisements

What city from the above poll would benefit/prosper the most from getting its crime to, say, NYC levels? I made a list of major cities off the top of my head with relatively high crime/homicide rate, but I left out Chicago because I feel like that's the obvious choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 02:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Detroit is actually the obvious choice.

Chicago's problem is not its crime (that would be high taxes and lack of blue collar job opportunities). Quite frankly, its supposed crime wave is overrated, as the city doesn't even make it into the top 30 most dangerous cities in America list:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...es-in-america/

Old 03-24-2021, 06:19 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
New Orleans, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Memphis would benefit the most in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:20 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
I clicked Philly just because I live here and have a personal desire to see crime go down, but in thinking about it more, I probably should have voted Baltimore.

Baltimore would be receiving a proportionally larger investment in the city if crime wasn't so out of control. Companies are building skyscrapers and high rises left and right in every other city on the east coast. Maryland has the highest median income in the country. Baltimore would for sure be growing a lot more.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-24-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 06:33 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
I agree with others that crime doesn't take away from Chicago's success or growth.

Realistically, probably St. Louis, Detroit, or Baltimore.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:39 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Memphis is like an old house with good bones. Just needs some TLC.
I choose it because of the current popularity of the sunbelt and also the popularity of the state it's in.
If it got it's act together, Memphis could really take off and run circles around any other southeastern city. It's got the layout and setting for a really great city.

Others that stand out to me would be Detroit and St. Louis because crime is what holds them back.
Detroit has the additional hurdle of location (which I personally like), so even if it were safer, I'm not sure how far it could go in the modern air-conditioned age of anti-cold sentiment. I root for it.
St. Louis metro is solid, but the area has a stigma to overcome. Some folks might blame Missouri, but let's be real, it's not drastically different than Texas or Tennessee in the categories naysayers complain about.
A safer St. Louis could be epic considering it's architecture.

Any crime-ridden city could benefit from lower crime, but these three seem most held back by it.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Philadelphia for sure. Definitely is overlooked as a big city because of the grime, grit and crime of the city. Could be a stellar city if more people invested in it. But today it is a little bit drab.. has the bones... But I'm always a little disappointed with it's offerings for it's size. People from NYC and where I am now look down on it especially for crime.

Philadelphia would benefit so much with the lack of perception

Old 03-24-2021, 06:48 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Philadelphia for sure. Definitely is overlooked as a big city because of the grime, grit and crime of the city. Could be a stellar city if more people invested in it. But today it is a little bit drab.. has the bones... But I'm always a little disappointed with it's offerings for it's size. People from NYC and where I am now look down on it especially for crime.

Philadelphia would benefit so much with the lack of perception
Meh, a bit exaggerated. Perception does not equal reality. And from my experience in recent years, Philadelphia is seen as a growing and improving city, good offerings, nice attractions, excellent food, etc. Obviously it has a ways to go (a good and bad thing), but out of the poll options, Philadelphia does not rank anywhere near the top, IMO.

The biggest change that would benefit Philadelphia is revising the business, wage, and BIRT taxes, which would make Philadelphia a more attractive place for big business and corporations (instead of its affluent more business friendly burbs).

When breaking down crime, Philadelphia is no worse off than any other major city, and it has gotten more passes than Chicago in terms of finding a big city to pick. Conservative media to this day does not leave Chicago alone...

Also, I live in NYC, I come across soooo many people every week for work, social events, etc. and I rarely meet someone who has negative things to say about Philadelphia. Their response is either indifferent or happy and they start talking about what they like in Philadelphia. (I work in the construction, development, insurance, legal world. Philadelphia has a very big somewhat underrated presence in all of those industries).

Lastly, the amount of large projects under constructions or in the works right now is astonishing. I haven't seen this level of development in Philadelphia since before the recession, or maybe ever (in my lifetime), so even with all its problems, the city is moving along. Same with Chicago. Neither should be the obvious choices.

Last edited by cpomp; 03-24-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-24-2021, 07:11 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,089,771 times
Baltimore. Its geography is its biggest advantage as was discussed in another thread. If they ever got the crime under control it would prosper big-time.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:13 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
The correct answer is all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City