Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:45 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Connecticut is a hybrid of MA and NJ shrunk down.
Except CT is less densely populated than either MA or NJ. Imo, you can feel the difference with more of CT being large swaths of forests and fields than NJ and MA. The CT Shoreline is also pretty different than the Jersey Shore.

Might RI be a better choice? It’s the 2nd densest state, it has major ocean-related tourism, lots of Italian heritage, the in-land regions tend to be more rural, much of the state’s population tied to a city in another state..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 03:01 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think I met economically like Ohio. Both stagnant with little patches of growth. Both are about as economically important
Nah. NJ has always been one of the wealthiest states in the US.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:10 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Nah. NJ has always been one of the wealthiest states in the US.
Economic outlook and dynamics. Not hhi

Old 03-24-2021, 03:23 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Economic outlook and dynamics. Not hhi
NJ has the 10th highest GDP per-capita, while Ohio has the 25th highest.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:51 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
State it reminds me the most of is Maryland. I don't really get the CT and MA comparisons tbh.

The similarities - both small states, similar demographics, one major(ish) city, both have huge suburbs of cities in surrounding states (or districts), both have variable terrain - mountains in the west, beaches on the coast, and a little bit of a lot of other terrain types in between, both extremely wealthy, high-tax/high-service type states.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Connecticut then, Massachusetts.

Connecticut is a hybrid of MA and NJ shrunk down.

(I see little similarity between NJ and Ohio, Ohio is a bit more like CT though)
Yea there is nothing in the Midwest that’s like NJ in my opinion.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh...

I disagree with the Connecticut comparisons.

New Jersey is basically Queens, Staten and Long Island, NY and Southeast Pennsylvania thrown into one melting pot.

And Ohio has no resemblance whatsoever. Im not sure where that is coming from??

Those two regions all have the same cultural influences and variety and sense of place than any one state.

CT just doesn't feel the same and its coastal influences are totally different.

New Jersey does not have a New England coastal feel. Its beaches are smooth wide open and sandy.

It would be nice if there was a poll with this thread...
NJ is not that much like NY though. And its way different than PA.

Not sure the beach really matters. Revere Beach and Nantasket Beach in MA are outliers in New England but the same a some NJ beaches fwiw.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:40 PM

6 posts, read 9,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh...

I disagree with the Connecticut comparisons.

New Jersey is basically Queens, Staten and Long Island, NY and Southeast Pennsylvania thrown into one melting pot.

And Ohio has no resemblance whatsoever. Im not sure where that is coming from??

Those two regions all have the same cultural influences and variety and sense of place than any one state.

CT just doesn't feel the same and its coastal influences are totally different.

New Jersey does not have a New England coastal feel. Its beaches are smooth wide open and sandy.

It would be nice if there was a poll with this thread...
Yeah sorry i didn't have a poll i forgot to put one.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
State it reminds me the most of is Maryland. I don't really get the CT and MA comparisons tbh.

The similarities - both small states, similar demographics, one major(ish) city, both have huge suburbs of cities in surrounding states (or districts), both have variable terrain - mountains in the west, beaches on the coast, and a little bit of a lot of other terrain types in between, both extremely wealthy, high-tax/high-service type states.
For starters, the bold part describes Massachusetts.

Maryland is 30% black and 10% latino

NJ is 13 % Black and 21% Latino

CT is 10 % Black and 17% Latino. It literally follows NJ demographic trends ~15-20 years after they happen. MA follows CT by ~5-10 years.

MA and NJ are easily the most Asian states on the East Coast

NJ is much closer in population density to MA than Maryland, and even closer to CT

Northern NJ is the equivalent to SW CT and Eastern MA.

Southern NJ is the equivalent of Western MA

Maryland has no major urban area other than Baltimore

CT NJ and MA are peppered with urban areas.

NJ CT MA have large Italian Iirsh Puerto Rican Caribbean and Dominican populations, MD does not.

NJ has at least 2semi-major cities (Newark and Jersey City), More similar in size to those in MA (Worcester Springfield)

NJ CT MA are very northern, MD is more southern.

MD is definitely not it. But its a good 3rd or 4th. Rhode Island may even be more similar tbh.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 03-24-2021 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Except CT is less densely populated than either MA or NJ. Imo, you can feel the difference with more of CT being large swaths of forests and fields than NJ and MA. The CT Shoreline is also pretty different than the Jersey Shore.

Might RI be a better choice? It’s the 2nd densest state, it has major ocean-related tourism, lots of Italian heritage, the in-land regions tend to be more rural, much of the state’s population tied to a city in another state..
It's still the 4th most densely populated state lol. and it doesn't have more forested area than MA. MA just has denser concentrations. The places people actually live in CT along 91 and 95 are continuously dense and very diverse.

CT is also more Italian than RI although RI CT and NJ are all about 18--19% Italian so it doesn't matter.
Trust me I lived in CT for 4 years. Been going to NJ since I was born. CT is easily the most NJ like state in the US, bar none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City