Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Ocean City is better?
Ocean City, NJ 13 59.09%
Ocean City, MD 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 9,144 times

Advertisements

Which Ocean City is better in terms of beach quality, entertainment/things to do, economy/jobs, geography, history etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 08:09 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I'll qualify my comment by saying that I'm a middle-aged family man who prefers quiet and peaceful over loud and boisterous. And this is why OCNJ is preferable to me. It's a nice, calm, family-oriented kind of place. The kind of place where you can just hang out at the beach and "be" and then find a nice, simple meal somewhere. Calm and relaxing.

OCMD, on the other hand, is crowded and frenetic and busy and loud. This is especially true down on the southern end of the town; the northern end is somewhat more peaceful. In addition, the crowd can get kind of rough, especially on a summer weekend night on the south end.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:34 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I also prefer OCNJ. It’s a great town. We rent a house near the boardwalk and don’t use a car the whole week. We can walk to the beach, the shops on the boards, downtown Asbury Ave, etc., or bike anywhere on the island, or over to Somers Point.

OCMD is full of high rises while also being less walkable. Less of the small town charm OCNJ has.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:49 AM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Two totally different animals. OCNJ is very quaint and charming with better food options nearby. It has also been a "dry" town forever and very family oriented. OCMD is the opposite in a lot of ways.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:22 PM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Vastly different feel from one another. OCNJ is kinda an all-American kind of feeling, pretty crowded on the boardwalk, lots of rinky-dink, with some nicer shops mixed in. As you get south of 10th-12th street, it gets considerably quieter. Island is pretty big and considerably wider than OCMD. You also have the dry town (plus or minus depending on your attitude) although you can drive to Somers Point for drinks, bars, etc. Decent selection of restaurants and stores off the Boardwalk too (Asbury Ave. especially but a few scattered places near West Ave.). Southern 2/3 of the island is pretty residential.

OCMD has lots more bars, restaurants, etc. Less restaurant diversity overall than OCNJ (lots of frozen crab, Orange Crush, etc.), and less of a family vibe. Having said that, the northern end of OCMD is considerably calmer and is competitive w/ the southern Jersey shore IMO. Bit higher-end stuff compared w/ OCNJ. Overall, prefer OCNJ myself, as it has more of a town feel to it and is more family-friendly. OCMD has proximity to Assateague/Chincoteague which is also awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City