Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:10 AM

21,700 posts, read 12,848,727 times

Advertisements

NYC is the safest city on here and the best fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM

45 posts, read 43,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I've done a ton of research but what's making things so complicated is the fact that every city seems to be massively affected by COVID.. not only that but I just don't know if the higher cost of living is really worth it, but then at my age I won't get the chance to move around like this again. Some considerations:

Income - $110k
Age - Almost 33
Marital Status - Single
Employment - Remote
Ethnicity - Indian raised in the states

I lived in Chicago for 8 years - loved it, and all my stuff is in storage there while I live with parents in Dallas the past few months. I found these options:

Chicago - I would be "comfortable" here but I've already been here so long, and it's not really a good dating market to find what I'm looking for (younger Indian girl). After taxes, student loans, and 401k/insurance, I'd have $4500ish/month for rent, food, bills, and transit (no car).

Boston - I love the European style of the city but I have heard that it's a lot like Chicago (sports, frat bros, mostly white people - nothing wrong with that, but I'm looking for a long term partner of the same ethnicity, hard to meet people). It's also more expensive to rent here, and half the year is just as cold as Chicago from what I've heard. It doesn't really seem worth it. I would have $4500/month for rent, food, bills, and transit (no car) here as well. The main bonus of Boston seems to be it's proximity to other areas, as well as the "culture". Everything else seems like a Chicago win.

DC - Honestly hadn't considered this until yesterday, but I visited a few years back and I really liked it. However, I heard that women are very difficult here, and the cost of living is also high, but the real nail in the coffin is that the taxes are pretty high. I'd have $4400ish/month for the rent/food/bills/transit here, and I'm guessing I would need a car.

NYC - This is my #1 choice. A lot of negatives to this. First off, the taxes are the highest of any city I'm interested in - I would only have $4200/month for all my expenses. Next, the apartments are the most expensive - $2500 would still be a downgrade for something I would get for $1800 in Chicago right now. I'm a very light sleeper and terrified of bugs so the prospect of those two issues in an apartment in Manhattan is daunting. Next, the whole issue of crime. I don't know if it's overblown in the media - but defunding the police, strict gun laws (can I even have a registered glock in my apartment), decriminalizing certain offenses, and prosecuting people who defend themselves has me shook. Finally, seems like so many people have left, and that I'm paying a premium for a former shell of a city.

Los Angeles - Seems interesting, but I dislike suburban living.

My ideal neighborhood is an area like River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast in Chicago. I'm trying to find someone to settle down with, but I also want an area with good opportunities to meet people, where I don't have to go to a specific place to meet them. I also want proximity to other places, which is where Chicago fails.

If COVID hadn't happened I wouldn't even think twice, it would be NYC, but then again if COVID hadn't happened there's no way I could afford the rent there on my income.

Any suggestions/insight? Appreciate it!

There are a lot of Indian people in Chicago along with two prestigious universities in the metro area. That's a good recipe for what you're looking for dating-wise. If you have lived there for 8 years and you still feel that what you want is hard to find in Chicago, I doubt you will find noticeably better quality/quantity elsewhere.

You also seem sensitive to costs. I'd recommend just staying put in Chicago. If you're desperate to leave Chicago, I'd say check out the DC area first. It's not as expensive as NYC, but it has that vibe you're looking for. I'd also throw in Philly to the mix. Philly is even cheaper. Not quite as many Indian people in Philly compared with DC or NYC, but it's still worth checking out.

Lastly, I'd throw Atlanta into the mix as well. It's not expensive, has got decent urban-city bones, a respectable-sized Indian community, and great universities that tend to attract lots of smart young people.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:13 PM

12,191 posts, read 8,062,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I'm heavily leaning towards NYC, but after looking at my finances, it is really difficult to save there compared to Chicago.. this is my breakdown right now.

$108,000 Salary
-$19,500 401k (18% of income) - My current 401k balance is $90k.. so I'm catching up.
-$30,624 Taxes (geez..)
------------------
$4823/month to spend
-$2,500 Rent + Utilities
-$635 Student Loan (3% interest rate)
-$500 Food (I cook most days)
-$125 Transit Pass
-$75 Phone + Spotify + Netflix
------------------
$988/month savings

This doesn't take into account buying clothes, going on vacation, entertainment costs, etc..

The only two things that might save me here are the stock market (I made $50k the past 4 months, but lost over half that in the recent crash), and potentially reducing my 401k match. If I made my 401k match at 9% of income I would be able to save an additional $531.. but that seems like a terrible financial decision. There's no way I'd consider a roommate at this point either..

In a single year I'd be putting away $15,000 more living in Chicago.. but at the expense of not living in NYC!

On another unrelated note; is anyone familiar with the electrical power industry in NYC? I'm wondering if maybe I could search for a higher paying job that pays bonus.. my current employer doesn't do a bonus, and I've been with them for 9 years. Wouldn't be a bad idea to move, but from what I've heard, engineering doesn't really scale it's salaries for cost of living like tech, finance, or medicine.
Again why aren't you looking at nj

Old 04-01-2021, 01:14 PM

325 posts, read 206,516 times
I'd definitely consider Houston and Dallas.

Maybe throw in Austin if you want a city that's more centralized around a downtown area. Austin is decently diverse, but not like Chicago is.

Old 04-01-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I'd definitely consider Houston and Dallas.

Maybe throw in Austin if you want a city that's more centralized around a downtown area. Austin is decently diverse, but not like Chicago is.
I don't think either of those are in the same category as NY, Boston, Chicago or DC. OP wants walkable vibrant dense urban cores

Old 04-01-2021, 03:00 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,482,528 times
From people on the ground, I've been hearing some really bad things about NYC in the last year. Not sure it's a good move for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,322,661 times
I still think Philadelphia is getting underplayed here.

Philadelphia is basically a combination of Brooklyn (Fishtown/Fairmount/West Philly), Queens (Northeast Philadelphia) and Manhattan (Center City) with a dose of Boston (Old City, Society Hill, Queen Village, Chestnut Hill) in one.

All at the most affordable cost of living. Highly walkable. Solid transit system. Great nightlife/dining scene and centrally located to enjoy the East Coast megapolis.

And Center City Philadelphia where the OP could afford to live COL is very manageable and it is very clean (much cleaner than Manhattan in NYC) and safe.

Philadelphia definitely has a sizable Indian population. Is it centralized in Center City itself? No. But it exists in the surrounding community in a measurable way.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
From people on the ground, I've been hearing some really bad things about NYC in the last year. Not sure it's a good move for the foreseeable future.
Not really true. Touristy Midtown Manhattan has lost a bit of its appeal, but that was inevitable.. but the outer boroughs (where locals actually go..) is just as vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City