Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 10:40 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,302,646 times

Advertisements

Boston is a fine city with a very polished core. But, I would only move there if you want to objectively live in Boston. Otherwise, just go for NYC. As others have pointed out, Boston's also been impacted by CoVID, so neither city is at 100%. Boston is top 5 city in urbanism and has a great job market (particularly for research/biotech). But, IMO, it can feel a little small and fairly overpriced for what you get. I would take Chicago or Philly and get more city for less money or just pay a little more and go for NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,729,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I find the rest of New England much more pleasant and enjoyable than regions outside NYC. For me, that is enough reason to prefer Boston. Especially if both cities are somewhat shadows of their 2019 selves, I'd rather be in the smaller city that's easier to get out of and explore the region.
See Post #14.

IMO, New York is a nicer state than Massachusetts. Overall, the scenery is prettier and more variable (e.g., taller mountains, denser forests, larger lakes, steeper ocean bluffs, more pastoral hills, etc.).

Also, the loveliest areas of New York State are a bit more accessible to the public than equivalent areas in Massachusetts, probably because New York is a more populous state that receives more tourism, per capita, than Massachusetts. For example, the towns of Essex and Port Kent, in Essex County, have their own ferry terminals and rail stations, if I am not mistaken (just one example).

Old 04-05-2021, 01:26 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
See Post #14.

IMO, New York is a nicer state than Massachusetts. Overall, the scenery is prettier and more variable (e.g., taller mountains, denser forests, larger lakes, steeper ocean bluffs, more pastoral hills, etc.).

Also, the loveliest areas of New York State are a bit more accessible to the public than equivalent areas in Massachusetts, probably because New York is a more populous state that receives more tourism, per capita, than Massachusetts. For example, the towns of Essex and Port Kent, in Essex County, have their own ferry terminals and rail stations, if I am not mistaken (just one example).
After living in Upstate and Downstate NY. I Can confidently say New England scenery beats out NYS for sure.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:14 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,078,746 times
Quote:
See Post #14.

Where in NY are there steeper ocean bluffs than in MV?

https://flic.kr/p/SN4mfj

Old 04-05-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
After living in Upstate and Downstate NY. I Can confidently say New England scenery beats out NYS for sure.
I never said that New York had superior scenery to New England, even though I believe it does. Instead, I asserted that New York has superior scenery to Massachusetts. And when you compare the regions where most people live in both states (i.e., Greater Boston vs. Greater New York City), this assertion is exceedingly true. In my opinion, Upstate New York is more scenic than Western Massachusetts, and overall, the bluffs on Long Island are prettier and more geographically extensive than those in Cape Cod or Martha’s Vineyard.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:04 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,078,746 times
Quote:
I never said that New York had superior scenery to New England, even though I believe it does. Instead, I asserted that New York has superior scenery to Massachusetts. And when you compare the regions where most people live in both states (i.e., Greater Boston vs. Greater New York), this assertion is exceedingly true.
Really? What's greater NY's equivalent of Cape Ann?

Maybe we should take this over to a proper Boston vs NYC thread. The answer to the OP's question is that he should just move to New York.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Really? What's greater NY's equivalent of Cape Ann?

Maybe we should take this over to a proper Boston vs NYC thread. The answer to the OP's question is that he should just move to New York.
Eh, Cape Ann doesn't do it for me (and never has). I prefer tall, sandy dunes with lush greenery, such as Great Island (Wellfleet) or Pirate's Cove (Port Jefferson), instead of Cape Ann. If you know where to look, the scenery of the Outer Lands is out of this world compared to the [rocky] coast of northern New England, IMO, and the air and water temperatures are more agreeable to the average person.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:48 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
Massachusetts is hardly a top state for scenery. It's not a slouch...but it not beyond reproach from Upstate NY or Long Island.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:11 PM

27,674 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I ask because from what I've heard, COVID has hit NYC pretty hard meaning a lot of restaurants have gone out of business and people have left; if I move there now I would be paying a lot of money for what I perceive to be a less optimal experience. I don't want to do Jersey City due to being isolated from friends/dates. Then again, not sure if the vibrancy of NYC in it's current state beats out Boston as it normally is.. I do like the diversity of NYC as compared to Boston as I'm of Indian descent, so it would be easier to find a GF in NYC I think. I am moving from Dallas and having been a prior Chicago resident of 8 years, I'm looking for a comparable experience.
Boston and New York City are 2 different animals.

If you want New York City, then you should just go there.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 PM

14,042 posts, read 15,078,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Massachusetts is hardly a top state for scenery. It's not a slouch...but it not beyond reproach from Upstate NY or Long Island.
Upstate NY isn’t particularly close to NYC. Like the Adirondacks and Finger Lakes really are less accessible than Maine of NH from The Boston area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City