Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most urban?
New Orleans metro 22 37.29%
Miami metro 37 62.71%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 04:12 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

Title is pretty straightforward on this one.

Use the following criteria:
- Public transit (existing infrastructure as well as growth) and accessibility to those stops
- Dense buildings (anywhere from duplexes to skyscrapers)
- Walkability criteria
- Bike lanes
- Bus lanes
- Wide sidewalks
- Accessibility to public parks
- Zoning (mostly SFH? Excessive parking minimums?)

This is not a debate on which one is larger and has the most skyscrapers. We know the answer to that. Dubai is proof that just because you have more tall buildings does not mean you favor pedestrians over cars. This is about city design. Which one has the most walkable neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 04:55 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
I think N.O. would be more walkable, but doesn't it get a lot more suburban outside city limits compared to Miami?

Old 04-03-2021, 08:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think N.O. would be more walkable, but doesn't it get a lot more suburban outside city limits compared to Miami?
I wouldn't say so. Metairie and Kenner are suburban but pretty old and built on a grid. I don't think there's a single McMansion or subdivision on the eastbank. I think the traditionally American suburbs are really only on the northshore.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:59 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I wouldn't say so. Metairie and Kenner are suburban but pretty old and built on a grid. I don't think there's a single McMansion or subdivision on the eastbank. I think the traditionally American suburbs are really only on the northshore.
I have to agree to this. Because of the location, you basically have to leave contemporary New Orleans area (NOLA+Kenner+Metaire+smaller towns in St. Bernard's and Jefferson Parishes. The area is definitely suburban but a step up from the pure, suburbia you see in other parts of the U.S. Miami is similar in terms of geographic constraints but most of it's growth is in the suburban era, and as a result, it has loads of dense suburbia, but still far more suburban than the above areas I mentioned. Northshore area of New Orleans at this point is still more of a collection of small towns bleeding a bit into each other, than a unified suburban region. Their is a large development gap between Slidell and Covington.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:31 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,856,713 times
Miami is so much bigger that it wins. It has more walkable areas overall ,but NO has more as a percentage basis

Old 04-04-2021, 09:52 AM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Miami is so much bigger that it wins. It has more walkable areas overall ,but NO has more as a percentage basis
Miami has a heavy rail system that gives it a lot of points

Old 04-05-2021, 09:04 AM

828 posts, read 649,798 times
This is a hard question to answer as they have shockingly different feels, but I'm probably going to go with Miami on this one (New Orleans has lots of older suburbs with kinda mid density), but Miami just has a much larger urban area with multiple clusters (Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach) with most of the suburbs being near/west of FL Turnpike.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
So then NO is more urban, because more of it is walkable than suburban. We aren’t debating population, we are debating urban design.

Old 04-06-2021, 05:18 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So then NO is more urban, because more of it is walkable than suburban. We aren’t debating population, we are debating urban design.
And this is why I’m leaning towards NO

Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
We aren’t debating population, we are debating urban design.
Going by that 110% New Orleans.
It's far easier to manage everyday activities on foot in Nola than Miami.

NOLA lacks the new mass transit systems in Miami, but with the more human scale of New Orleans you don't miss it.

The system of streetcars combined with very narrow streets and a ton of mixed use buildings makes NOLA feel more urban at street level even without major mass transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City